10.5.6 not utilizing core2quad Q8300

realfolkbluesxv

6 posts in this topic

Hey!

I'm running iPC 10.5.6 on my cg5270-bp003 and everything is working except one thing thats just driving me crazy. My processor is only showing as 1 core in activity monitor, now I'm not sure if thats just cosmetic or if i'm only using 1 core.

I patched my dsdt by removing the aliases around the processor code and now the about my mac does say core2quad q8300, but it has 3.8ghz instead of the 2.5 and the system profiler has an error when trying to look at the hardware.

I ran the IOresource thing and is does show 4 cores, with the top one having 3 kexts attached and the rest empty. but any advice on this would be high appreciated!

I'd really like to be able to use all 4 cores. (by the way, for those who say just upgrade to 10.6, i would if i could get it to work on the p5ql-vm-epu motherboard of doom) I have also tried cpuinjector to no avail, even adding the aqu=0105

Thanks again!

I've ended up having to reinstall after a botched try at going to 10.6 (something about dmi tables and dsdt and bam kernel panic but back on topic) I went vanilla, and now it is report it as a 2.5ghz unknown and is showing the proper ram in about this mac as well. Also the system profiler does show information, but only 1 core. Would that guide work for a vanilla kernel as well?

Ok, I finally solved the issue. It was my bios settings. AHCI APIC needed to be enabled (the cd wouldn't boot like that) This fixed all the previous issues i had. I'm now currently running

Vanilla 9.5.0

VoodooHDA sound

NVdarwin256 for my 8600GT

Enhanced speedstep kext

ACPI fix

DSDT with all the alias deleted for the processor portion.

SMBIOS 800 DDR2 for my 8gb of ram

EFI v9 bootloader

Legacy time machine fix

And that has allowed me to run everything QE/CI, all 4 cores, correct information through the computer, restart, shut down, sleep, time machine. The only thing that isn't working is my wireless and that because i've been too lazy to look up the model number and find the kext. But thank you insanelymac.com. ;)

Good work, congratulations.

You don't need to remove the CPU aliases from DSDT anymore if you use Chameleon 2.0 RC5.

Plus you can have native CPU power management.

Installer:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Release thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766