Dell Optiplex GX520

Dellmantt

282 posts in this topic

nvidia geforce 8400 low profile sparkle.
8400GS is a good card. The thing to watch on different models is the PCIE slot power of the different models.
nvidia geforce 9800GT __ Only thing, it runs a bit hot, so I leave the case open.
I am sure you know what you are doing, but for others, unsure about the mini-tower case but the DT & SSF cases are designed to run cooler with the cover on. Another thing to remember is that if the cover is left off or even a PCI slot cover things can enter.
I also updated the CPU to a Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz for $48.00 at starmicroinc.
What did you have before? Much of a boost?

Just use this kext and your problem is solved.

IOUSBFamily_USB3_AnV.zip

Install it on System\Library\Extensions

@CoolFX Thanks,

the link is broken on the post but I found the kext on InsanelyMac. It solves the problem :(

FilBip

• 3 weeks later...

Dellmantt,

I just wanted to thank you for this awesome guide! It saved me alot of trouble with my update from 10.5.6. Granted I didn't find this tutorial until after I already had sno puss up and running on the gx620 (did it using a different non DSDT method and using a vanilla kernel with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] only worked after I edited the files it installed…), but getting the video and sound to work wasn't working with my old drivers, go figure :) It was becoming a PITA, but thanks to you I was able to get my sound and video resolution back to the way it should be, working!

I got everything up and working, including the network and setting the mac address on boot. The tip on making the rc.local file is a gem I tell you what. I have been wondering about how to do that gracefully for YEARS (since 2006 when I first installed tiger onto my gx620, no joke), so thanks for that :D

Those kexts files were a life saver as well, especially that kext utility! They changed alot of the stuff from leopard to sno puss, so it was cool to see some tools that not only work, but work well AND save time. So thanks for the files and the howto on using them, you rock man!

So thanks again for posting up this info, you sure helped me out a ton and taught this long time osx86 user a few things! Keep up the good work man!

@eulogious Glad you have it all working. All I have really done is put together all the stuff I found with my own research, plus added what others have contributed in the thread to the guide. Thanks to all.

I upgraded my GX520 P4 3.2GHz (BIOS A11) from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 OK with the appropriate Legacykernel last weekend - thanks for the method Dellmantt. And also went on to using the Vanilla 10.5.0 mach_kernel with patched Boot file, Chameleon 2 RC5 699 and modified com.Apple.Boot.plist. Thanks again Delmantt for the files on post #124.

In case other Hackintosh newbies like myself didn't know it, the Vanilla 10.5.0 mach-kernel is a hidden file in root which is installed by the 10.5.4 to 10.6.5 update and doesn't get deleted when you use the 10.6.5 Legacy kernel.

I just used nano in Terminal with sudo to modify the com.Apple.Boot.plist file.

BTW I'm still using a CRT monitor and the modified Framebuffer kext.

I upgraded my GX520 P4 3.2GHz (BIOS A11) from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 OK with the appropriate Legacykernel last weekend - thanks for the method Dellmantt. And also went on to using the Vanilla 10.5.0 mach_kernel with patched Boot file, Chameleon 2 RC5 699 and modified com.Apple.Boot.plist. Thanks again Delmantt for the files on post #124.

In case other Hackintosh newbies like myself didn't know it, the Vanilla 10.5.0 mach-kernel is a hidden file in root which is installed by the 10.5.4 to 10.6.5 update and doesn't get deleted when you use the 10.6.5 Legacy kernel.

I just used nano in Terminal with sudo to modify the com.Apple.Boot.plist file.

BTW I'm still using a CRT monitor and the modified Framebuffer kext.

so which kernel are you using? legacy or vanilla?

I tried using the same version of chameleon and the boot file, and i am able to do a -v, it goes through loading all of the kext. It gets to the blue screen with the mouse pointer, but then it switches to a black screen, then to a grey screen. It switches back and forth between the black and grey screen, but I can move the mouse cursor all around.

If I use the legacy kernel it boots into the desktop. so not sure what it might be.

so which kernel are you using? legacy or vanilla?

I tried using the same version of chameleon and the boot file, and i am able to do a -v, it goes through loading all of the kext. It gets to the blue screen with the mouse pointer, but then it switches to a black screen, then to a grey screen. It switches back and forth between the black and grey screen, but I can move the mouse cursor all around.

If I use the legacy kernel it boots into the desktop. so not sure what it might be.

What method are you using to enable the GeForce 8600 GT

Injection in com.apple.Boot.plist via Chameleon?

Or a graphic enable kext?

Or gfx strings?

Edit just noticed you are using an iatkos install, so your "com.apple.Boot.plis" is going to be completely stuffed up anyway.

So I haven't updated my sig, but I no longer have the nvidia card. It blew up on me a few weeks back. so for now Im on the onboard video. So I am using the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and this is what my boot.plist looks like

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 </string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>simple</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

I have a working install that I run everyday, I am trying to test a vanillla install on to a spare usb hd. I installed chameleon onto the efi partition and made that partition bootable. I copy over the patched boot file, and added the cpunull kext. I also made my own bootable cd, similar to [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], but with my kext that I use in the /E/E. I then install with a retail 10.6.3 dvd. after it finishes and I try to use the vanilla kernel, it gives me the issue I mentioned above.

I assume you mean the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

If you follow the guide you will get as much as a vanilla install as you are going to get. All added kexts go in E/E except for Lan & audio which need to be in S/L/E.

From a GX520 running the vanilla kernel

Extra folder

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v arch=i386</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

From L/P SC foder

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

From L/P SC foder

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Is this an apple.boot.plist, if so I did not have one in the L/P folder.should i have one there?

Is this an apple.boot.plist, if so I did not have one in the L/P folder.should i have one there?

In Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

With a myHack type install, this is not touched, all editing is done to the one in the Extra folder.

@zibertron Should be fine as Chameleon reads the one in Extra first.

Reading back through this thread and the original thread at infinatemac seems that others have had success with the patched boot file & Pentium D.

@zibertron Should be fine as Chameleon reads the one in Extra first.

Reading back through this thread and the original thread at infinatemac seems that others have had success with the patched boot file & Pentium D.

yeah I know, don't know what it might be. Only thing I can think of, is if it is because they are using dst file for video? Also seems like its not the version of Chameleon, but I'm going to try an older version of RC5

Ok so I tried several things and they all gave me the same issue.

I installed both versions of chameleon that are on the first page of this thread. I did replace the boot file with the patched file both times. I made a dsdt.aml file, added it to the /Extra folder and added it to the boot.plist as DSDT=hd(0,1)/Extra/DSDT.aml. I removed the /E/E folder completly, that caused a kernel panic. I added it back, but only left the following kext:

disabler.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

sleepenabler.kext

versus what I have in my working /E/E folder, which I also tried

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleUSBAudio.kext

Disabler.kext

ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Ok so I tried several things and they all gave me the same issue.

Just maybe your particular Pentium D is not going to work with the patched boot file. OR it is because you have not followed the guide to the letter.

For example you do not need a disabler kext, fakesmc kext does what disabler used to do and more. Sleepenabler kext version must match the system version, which is one reason it was left unchecked in the suggested myHack customisation in the guide. You don't need to edit the com.appleBoot.plist for a DSDT, just add the DSDT to the Extra folder, Chameleon will read it from there.

My suggestion would be to partition (not just erase) your external drive & follow the guide exactly. And don't import settings from the iatkos partition.

Ok I am back, and after much testing, rebooting and pulling out my hair, I finally got it working. I followed your instructions to the letter and I would still run into the same issue. The only thing that I did not do was the swapping of the hard drive, and the CCC because I did not want it on my main hard drive, just on my usb hd.

I would follow the instructions up until after the point where you use the Myhack.mpkg. I would then copy the patched boot file, and then change the boot.plist to point at mach_kernel instead of chocolate_kernel. I would reboot, chameleon would load fine, i would do a -v and all the kext would load fine. Then it would hit the gray screen and switch to black, and it would just alternate.

I did this several times, trying different approaches, but they all yielded the same issue. Finally I wanted to check if following the tutorial without changing the boot file or changing the boot.plist would give me the same issue. Well it didn't, it went right into the intro movie and then the setup screen. So I just finished the setup and got into the desktop. So then I just thought, well now that I know its working let me copy the boot file and change the boot.plist to mach_kernel.

I restarted, and bingo blango! it worked. I pulled it off. So just to double check I then redid all of the steps I did the first time, including copying the patched boot file and changing the boot.plist to mach_kernel. Restarted and guess what, same issue, I then redid it again, only this time waiting until after the intro and setup screens to change the files out. It worked again. So once I was sure it was using the vanilla kernel, I did a software update, and went from 10.6.3 to 10.6.7 it rebooted and was totally fine.

So to make a long story short. I think the issue was the intro movie and setup screen. I don't know if I am right, or if that has anything to do with it. All I know is that if I tried to use the patched boot file and the vanilla kernel before getting past the intro and setup screen, it would not work.

So now I installed chameleon to the efi partition and I am using the vanilla kernel.

thanks!

So to make a long story short. I think the issue was the intro movie and setup screen. I don't know if I am right, or if that has anything to do with it. All I know is that if I tried to use the patched boot file and the vanilla kernel before getting past the intro and setup screen, it would not work.

So now I installed chameleon to the efi partition and I am using the vanilla kernel.

thanks!

Interesting. I can't think of any reason why it would be so. Glad it is working now and thanks for the info.

@zibertron: yes I'm using the "vanilla" or in other words mach 10.5.0 kernel with the modified Boot file and AppleBootPlist written with mach_kernel instead of legacy.

Just for others, my Dell pc is a GX520 with P4 3.2GHz, 2GB of RAM and onboard Intel 950 video chip (modified appleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext), and the OS is MacOS X 10.6.5. There's no special DSDT file; it seems beyond my comprehension for the moment.

Hi,

I've got a GX520 P4 partitioned with XP hd0,1, Leopard hd0,2 and Snow Leopard hd0,3. I'm using Chameleon v2.0-RC4 and I can boot Snow in 32 and 64 bit and I can get dsdt.aml to load in both modes. However the GMA950 patch only works in 32 bit mode as does ethernet using AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567) with kernel Version Darwin 10.6.0. Any help to get the dsdt.aml patch and ethernet to work in 64bit would be gratefully received.

Hi,

I've got a GX520 P4 partitioned with XP hd0,1, Leopard hd0,2 and Snow Leopard hd0,3. I'm using Chameleon v2.0-RC4 and I can boot Snow in 32 and 64 bit and I can get dsdt.aml to load in both modes. However the GMA950 patch only works in 32 bit mode as does ethernet using AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567) with kernel Version Darwin 10.6.0. Any help to get the dsdt.aml patch and ethernet to work in 64bit would be gratefully received.

I remember reading somewhere that GMA 950 kexts for OS X are only 32 bit. Whether that is still true am unsure, probably same applies to the BCM5751.

Sorry can't offer any more. Maybe somebody else can.

EDIT can you post a pic of System Profiler / Software overview - in 64 bit mode please.

I remember reading somewhere that GMA 950 kexts for OS X are only 32 bit. Whether that is still true am unsure, probably same applies to the BCM5751.

Sorry can't offer any more. Maybe somebody else can.

EDIT can you post a pic of System Profiler / Software overview - in 64 bit mode please.

Thanks for the reply, I've crushed that install with legacy_kernel-10.7.0.pkg.zip, now it don't boot so good. Used Hazard 10.6.6i with kernel option, came up in 64bit. I'll see about fixing her up and getting you the pic.