10.6.4 and 10.6.3 combo updates fail with kernel panic

Justin Edwards

8 posts in this topic

I have been googling everywhere for the answer but it seems that no one else had this problem. the snow leopoard installs fine using hazards dvd but i can't update to 10.6.3 or 10.6.4. You see the problem is that when i run the installer it seems to work fine then when it gets to the registering updated components part it ends with a kernel panic saying refusing new kexts. then i reboot it then it is stuck in a infinite reboot loop. I have the right kernel for it installed and I can't seem to find out why I can't update please help!

One way to install the updates that I have had success with is to copy the entire contents of the Extensions folder to another folder, install the downloaded (not System Update) patch, copy kexts back, and reboot. It would work if you only copy the kexts you need for your hardware (and delete any that need to be deleted) but the copy everything is quick and dirty.

Did you get the point about downloading the update from the Apple site and not using software update?

yes. i've downloaded combo update:

10.6.2 installed ok

10.6.3 KP before ends

10.6.4 KP before ends

after that there's no way to boot again. only in single user. verbose shows errors as it were loading kext twice.

no one found a solution?