Still waiting for root device

Xenosis

12 posts in this topic

Hi

After i managed to install OSX on my Dell 1545 Inspiron laptop only with few minor faults, i've since been hooked on building a fully working desktop Hackintosh.

The problem is that I get the "Still waiting for root device" error.. However i did manage to get a Panic error once, using a boot command i don't remember what was.. :(

Tried switching around the SATA cables, but I don't know how the cables, jumper etc.. settings should be...

I've copied the BIOS settings from this guide:

Hackintosh - Running OS X 10.5.8 On A Intel D975XBX2 Based PC

Am suspecting my old DVD-drive to be problem, but really I have no idea where the problem is..

Specs:

Intel Pentium D650 3,4Ghz

Intel D975XBX2 motherboard

1024 MB memory

Nvidia 8800GT

500 GB WD SATA harddrive(parti1: Windows 7 - parti2: formated FAT32 primary)

IDE DVD-burner

The harddrive is connected to SATA port 0 and have tried port 1 also..

I've tried booting with: rd=diskXsY, cpus=1 etc.. but no luck..

Do anyone know a solution to this the problem?

Sorry for the english..

Do you get the message when installing from DVD or when booting an installed system (from hard drive)?

If it's DVD, then try setting jumper on the DVD drive to Cable Select. Also change appropriate values in BIOS to Host and cable (if there are such settings).

If it's hard drive... I don't know for sure, so guessing - change PATA/SATA chanels settings to both or other (try all of them). The on-board controller should work OOB, as it is ICH7. Though searching the forum, reveals that there are some problems with ICH7... Strange...

Do you get the message when installing from DVD or when booting an installed system (from hard drive)?

I get the message when trying to install OSX from DVD, I've tried with IPC and iATKOS distro...

Will try to get another DVD-drive today, will an external DVD-drive work?

...Will try to get another DVD-drive today, will an external DVD-drive work?
Yes, it should. An external USB HDD should also work (in case you need it).

Please check the very bottom of the guide you are referring to. There is a some infomation on problem with disk controller.

Please check the very bottom of the guide you are referring to. There is a some infomation on problem with disk controller.

The fix involves installing System\Library\Extensions\AppleAHCIport.kext and IOACHIFamily.kext files from version OSX 10.5.2 into the current version. This adds support for the Intel AHCI Raid Controller which the system once again recognizes and restores the disk icons back to thier correct metal finish for an internal drive. You can do this using OSX86Tools which can be found on the web or you can manually copy the files to the correct directory.

Don't know how to do all this.. :(

The problem and solution described in the guide is for situations then the same problem accures with hard disk (that means that you should already have an installed OS X on hard drive).

So this one will not help in the current situation. Use ether an external DVD drive or USB flash based installer.

Also be really sure to check the BIOS settings and how is everything connected.

I replaced the DVD-drive with another old IDE drive i had, and finally got it installing using iAtkos S3 v2 10.6.3 distro..

But when am done installing, the system reboots when I choose to boot Snow Leopard in the bootloader..

I've tried with these settings:

also D975XBX2 BADAX, IATKOS v5i, updated to 10.5.6 all working how to guide

But in iAtkos S3 i can't choose to install:

X86 Patches - Decrypters - AppleDecrypt

X86 Patches - SMBIOS - SMBIOS Enablers - SMBIOS - EFI

Anyone know what's wrong??

You should also chose a patched kernel. As the original (vanilla) OS X kernel DO NOT support the CPU you have.

ahh.. was wondering why the guide didn't pick a kernel, but I assumed osx86 installed a patched kernel..

I will try with Chameleon 2.0-RC4 when i come home.. or should i use another one?

Crossing my fingers :(

btw.. thanks 3.14r for all the help..

as i had exactly the same problem, here's how i fixed it:

- use Kalyway 10.5.2 instead of iAtkos (i know you want SL not leopard.. :P )

- Chameleon bootloader did it for me, at least i could install from Boot DVD (iAtkos s3 v2)

- If it still doesn't work: Try to downgrade your BIOS. This helped me on my Dell XPS

Good luck!

Update:

I got Kalyway 10.5.2 installed and working, but without sound..

How do I proceed from here, with installing Snow leopard?

"Chameleon bootloader did it for me, at least i could install from Boot DVD (iAtkos s3 v2)"

Can you explain how you did that?