Bootloader Error ~ Seekng Logs

JohnFM3

10 posts in this topic

During the boot process, at the first white screen, a 2 line error message pops up about setting arch=i386 and hibernation being too old.

Currently, the netbook appears to be running fine. I am just trying to learn more about the enviorment and perform some fine tunning.

More importanly than how to fix the issue, where do I find the logs created during boot? In a Linux enviorment, you would look under /var/log/bootmsg.log. The closest thing I found was what looks like a exc bootlog file.

I did look in /var/log/system.log, and I dont see anything refering to the error I saw.

John

During the boot process, at the first white screen, a 2 line error message pops up about setting arch=i386 and hibernation being too old.

Currently, the netbook appears to be running fine. I am just trying to learn more about the enviorment and perform some fine tunning.

More importanly than how to fix the issue, where do I find the logs created during boot? In a Linux enviorment, you would look under /var/log/bootmsg.log. The closest thing I found was what looks like a exc bootlog file.

I did look in /var/log/system.log, and I dont see anything refering to the error I saw.

John

Hi John,

These console warnings are usually dumped by your (Chameleon?) boot loader (/boot).

What are the exact messages?

What boot loader/version are you using?

Cheers,

Sam

Hi John,

These console warnings are usually dumped by your (Chameleon?) boot loader (/boot).

What are the exact messages?

What boot loader/version are you using?

Cheers,

Sam

Sam,

The errors were telling me that I needed to set arch=i386 and hibernation was too old. Both have been fixed. I was able to quickly search this form to find the kernel flag in /Extra/*.boot.plist, and instead of resolving the issue with power management, I disabled it and deleted the sleep file found in /var/vm folder.

The thing I still want to learn is where do these errors get logged. Linux uses /var/log/bootmsg.log for all loader and boot kernel error messages. I had to reboot this thing several times so I could see the error messages enough to get enough info to know what I was looking at as a problem.

Good news, after fixing those too issues, my WiFi came online for the first time, and I was under the impression the Acer One 532h wifi card had to be replaced with the Dell.

John

The thing I still want to learn is where do these errors get logged.

The messages come from the Chameleon bootloader and does not get logged in the system itself.

You can add wait=y to com.apple.Boot.plist to have Chameleon halt before it boots the OS so that you can see what it's doing.

New Chameleon 2.0 RC5 also comes with bdmesg that can log this stuff but I don't know how to use it. Check this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

The messages come from the Chameleon bootloader and does not get logged in the system itself.

You can add wait=y to com.apple.Boot.plist to have Chameleon halt before it boots the OS so that you can see what it's doing.

New Chameleon 2.0 RC5 also comes with bdmesg that can log this stuff but I don't know how to use it. Check this thread:

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I will wait till RC5 is added to the stable NBI package.

John

So my next question is, what logs do I look at to see Hardware conflicts? After adding kext files, the laptop started get slow.

John

Run console.app to see everything that gets logged.

Use IORegistryExplorer (comes with Xcode as part of Apple dev tools) to peek at IRQs, address ranges and other stuff.

Thanks for the heads up. I will need to download that.

And to try and satify my inner Linux, are there logs that I can look while in terminal?

I may start new thread on this next question. As I was first building, I tried 4 different NetDrivers till I found one that worked. When I installed the 4th, the system hung and shutdown in 5 mins (which normally takes 20 sec). In the end, I removed all 4 kext and installed them 1 at a time, and deleting before installing the next.

The question is, does OSX store driver conflicts such as above in a seperate log file than system? And does it log its boot process (after loader) errors in a different location than system?

John

Yes..don't be surprised if your system hangs when you have 4 drivers installed that all try to do the same thing!

The question is, does OSX store driver conflicts such as above in a seperate log file than system? And does it log its boot process (after loader) errors in a different location than system?

kernel.log

Yes..don't be surprised if your system hangs when you have 4 drivers installed that all try to do the same thing!

kernel.log

I wasnt Surprised at all. And I am sure 2 of them half heartedly kind made en0 work, then adding the 4 which was the correct 1 got pissed. Next I need to learn about removing unneeded drivers. Which is why I am asking all these log questions.

Thanks,

John

If the driver was just a kernel extension that you dropped in /S/L/E all you need to do is delete it and flush the extensions cache.

The network hardware drivers that ship with OS X are hiding inside the plugins folder of IONetworkingFamily.kext.

When using 3rd party drivers you sometimes need to delete the OS X driver for the same hardware family to avoid conflicts. For example normally you must delete the Realtek driver from the plugins folder before using a different Realtek driver, otherwise nothing works..

There is no reason to go crazy deleting kernel extensions, OS X only loads the ones that are required. You can see which extensions are loaded in System Profiler (find 'Extensions' in the list on the left). As you have found out, when experimenting you need to be careful not to have several drivers loaded that do the same thing, this can cause endless trouble to the point of not being able to boot at all, and you may have to boot from an install DVD and run Terminal (or boot in Single User Mode) and delete files from there.