iDeneb 10.5.5 -> Combo 10.5.8 Update Adventures

elvenkind

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have iDeneb 10.5.5 installed onto my old 2006 IBM X60, as well as a USB key. The X60 install works pretty well, except for no mic input and no Wifi. As I use my Hackintosh more and more, though, I realized that I really needed at least 10.5.8. The iLife '09 suite requires 10.5.6; iTunes needs 10.5.8 to be able to browse the online store and I can't sync my iPhone 4 without it. I also want to try Aperture and that requires 10.5.8 as well.

Having read lots of reports of success on this forum for people upgrading to 10.5.8 using Apple's combo update, here is what I tried:

1. Backed up /System/Library/Extensions into /System/Library/Extensions.back

2. Did the standard Apple Update to Combo 10.5.8

3. Install happens only during shutdown before the reboot, which is too bad

4. Upon reboot, it stops at "waiting for boot disk"...

I use GRUB and edited the boot script to point at Extensions.back. Now when it boots, it gets a tiny bit farther, but stops right after something about firewire, switching to secure mode. Disk activity light stops after one more minute. If I stick in a USB key, it will print out "com.apple.driver.iPhone"... immediately, but after that, nothing.

I have also tried the following:

- Booting with mach_kernel -x ... no difference

- Deleting /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. This makes no difference as in GRUB there is a way of forcing it to read directly from the extensions dir (xnu_kextdir /System/Library/Extensions)

- booting into my USB key, using Disk Utilities / Repair Disk Permissions

- Using the mach_kernel from my USB key. This in fact seems the same as the mach_kernel that was on my system partition after the 10.5.8 update, so my suspicions is that I always had the vanilla kernel and the 10.5.8 update did not change it.

- Downloading the voodoo 9.8.0 mach_kernel. This doesn't seem to make a difference, with either the 10.5.8 updated extensions or my old Extensions.back, except that it prints out extra lines about skipping personalities of blacklisted extensions.

From the experiments above it seems the kexts make a bigger difference than the kernel.

I would really like the advice of everyone on this forum. What should I do next? Some possibilities:

a. Install a different version of voodoo mach_kernel?

b. Copy AppleSMBIOS, AppleHDA, any other custom extensions over from Extensions.back to Extensions, and try to boot from that. I don't remember which ones are modified though.

c. Some have suggested iATKOS or some other distro has an option to install drivers only.

d. Reinstall iDeneb 10.5.5. ;)

e. Try installing SL. If I'm going to bother with reinstalling, why not move forwards? Or is SL much more of a pain to install? Also if I try SL is there a good modded distro?

Any comments welcome.

Thanks very much,

Evan

One more thing, when I use the voodoo kernel, it reports an error loading AppleAPCIPCI.kext.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I have iDeneb 10.5.5 installed onto my old 2006 IBM X60, as well as a USB key. The X60 install works pretty well, except for no mic input and no Wifi. As I use my Hackintosh more and more, though, I realized that I really needed at least 10.5.8. The iLife '09 suite requires 10.5.6; iTunes needs 10.5.8 to be able to browse the online store and I can't sync my iPhone 4 without it. I also want to try Aperture and that requires 10.5.8 as well.

Having read lots of reports of success on this forum for people upgrading to 10.5.8 using Apple's combo update, here is what I tried:

I use GRUB and edited the boot script to point at Extensions.back. Now when it boots, it gets a tiny bit farther, but stops right after something about firewire, switching to secure mode. Disk activity light stops after one more minute. If I stick in a USB key, it will print out "com.apple.driver.iPhone"... immediately, but after that, nothing.

- Deleting /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. This makes no difference as in GRUB there is a way of forcing it to read directly from the extensions dir (xnu_kextdir /System/Library/Extensions)

- Using the mach_kernel from my USB key. This in fact seems the same as the mach_kernel that was on my system partition after the 10.5.8 update, so my suspicions is that I always had the vanilla kernel and the 10.5.8 update did not change it.

- Downloading the voodoo 9.8.0 mach_kernel. This doesn't seem to make a difference, with either the 10.5.8 updated extensions or my old Extensions.back, except that it prints out extra lines about skipping personalities of blacklisted extensions.

From the experiments above it seems the kexts make a bigger difference than the kernel.

I would really like the advice of everyone on this forum. What should I do next? Some possibilities:

b. Copy AppleSMBIOS, AppleHDA, any other custom extensions over from Extensions.back to Extensions, and try to boot from that. I don't remember which ones are modified though.

c. Some have suggested iATKOS or some other distro has an option to install drivers only.

d. Reinstall iDeneb 10.5.5. ;)

e. Try installing SL. If I'm going to bother with reinstalling, why not move forwards? Or is SL much more of a pain to install? Also if I try SL is there a good modded distro?

Any comments welcome.

Thanks very much,

Evan

Hi everyone,

d. Reinstall iDeneb 10.5.5. :rolleyes:

Any comments welcome.

Thanks very much,

Evan

Well honestly, you can't use a Voodoo kernel and do a direct Apple combo update. It does not support it and when you do it usually breaks your osx86 install.

You need to use a vanilla kernel (darwin) which is what the retail install disc uses to be able to combo update direct. This would usually mean selecting the Vanilla kernel or in the iatkos boot disc not selecting either voodoo and it will automatically load that kernel.

I did this last night with iatkos v7 and went to 10.5.8 for similar reasons and it worked. Although upon reboot I got a kernel panic twice, I booted into single user mode and and fsck -fy and it booted like a champion.

I would suggest from personal experience, do a fresh install with iatkos. So for I've found it to be the be the smoothest of the osx86 family.