Shut down & sleep issues with OSX 10.6.4 on Dell Inspiron 1520

gurde

96 posts in this topic

If none of these suggestions solve your problem, assuming you set your mac model to MacbookPro5,1, please download the following kext and copy it to Extra folder. Repair permission and restart. Finally, after installing this kext, could you also use IORegistryExplorer and take a screenshot of the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin section and upload it here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ke29otlp5vyhsnq

Try this kext, with the following combinations.

- With VoodooPowerMini and without GenerateC-States & P-States = True.

- Without VoodooPowerMini and with GenerateC-States & P-States = True

- Without VoodooPowerMini and without GenerateC-States & P-States = True (This should work fine)

Whenever you don't use GenerateC-States & P-States = True, make sure that you don't have DropSSDT=True key in your boot.plist.

Do backup first please.

My friend, you are not reading carefully, if you look at the previous page, you can see that MaLd0n explained how to use these features.

Yes, you have to use that key because you basically override your SSDT tables, which are responsible for the speed step of the CPU, so you have to tell OSX not to use your original tables.

ok, I already had that there, just wanted to be sure.

Now maybe I'm blind, but I can't see Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) under Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000). And even if I put that there, still doesn't work. :)

I attached my dsdt.dsl, could you please look inside it?

What am I doing wrong?

dsdt.dsl.zip

ok, I already had that there, just wanted to be sure.

Now maybe I'm blind, but I can't see Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) under Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000). And even if I put that there, still doesn't work. :)

I attached my dsdt.dsl, could you please look inside it?

What am I doing wrong?

My friend, the code that I shared is from my DSDT. I just showed you the part that you should apply. So, this is your original code.

Device (ISAB)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
			Device (PS2M)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0F13"))
				Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{12}
				})
				Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (CRS)
				}
			}

This is the one it should be.

Device (ISAB)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) // Start from here
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x15, 0x28, 0x00, 0x00 // Your device id.
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			} // Stop here. Rest is removed.

Device (PS2M)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0F13"))
				Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{12}
				})
				Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (CRS)
				}
			}

Code between "Star from here" and "Stop Here" is what you have to apply.

It gets loaded but it doesn't active P-States or C-States. Assuming, you've tried all the combinations I said, I am sorry I don't know what else you could be having problem with. You should ask this on Intel Speedstep section of the forum. In the meantime, you could use NullPowermanagement and VoodooPowerMini to keep your laptop relatively cool.

Vostro 1400 and the same problem with shutdown

Restart is all o.k using AsereBLN last boot using RestartFix=Yes

It would be an all good machine except for the problem that it just doesn't shutdown, i have already tried openhaltrestart evoreboot kexts..

and the following dsdt shutdown fixes:

OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x1030, One)
Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
 , 4, 
 SLPE, 1
}
 Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
 {
	 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
	 {
		 Store (Zero, SLPE)
		 Sleep (0x10)
	 }
 }

and

this

<div class="codetop">
</div><div class="codemain">Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
 {
	 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05)) {}
	 Else
	 {
		 ...  original codes...
	 }
 }</div>

None of them worked.

I am coming to the point of thinking about other alternatives.. I am thinking about installing a small OS that boot fast on a spare partition just to boot it and properly shutdown the computer..

What yall think?

Tomorrow I was thinking about using Slitaz or other small linux derivative for the task, today I have just spootted MenuetOS which boots very fast, i just don't know if chameleon will recognize it..

Any ideas on how to make my shutdown work?

sorry I´ve been following this for a while - this is all confusing...... aren´t your guys running in a dead end street? wasn´t the initial question why sleep is not working?

in his pics of the energy settings it is clear that LPC wasn´t loaded. now you are already talking about the p- and c-states...hmm

you have some errors in the kernel logs.....ignore that for the moment. LPC seems to be loaded.

so.......do you have now the option in energy settings "restart after power failure"?? - if yes check it and try sleep again. if it still doesn´t work - then go to the next step :)

Sleep works, it goes to sleep by closing the lid, timeout or power button selecting sleep option, it also wakes up by opening the lid, pressing power button. No problems at all, after patching the DSDT.

However the SHUTDOWN is not working. My initial concern was for the shutdown. I cared less for sleep, but since it was fixed better that way.

And yes, I have the option "restart after power failure".

I know the shutdown problem is the video card driver, cause when I unload the drivers shutdown works flawlessly. I use NVEnabler64.kext with modified device ID. Video works fine, but then no shutdown. This happens whatever kext I use.

@gurde, as JBraddock said have you tried with AnVAL bootloader? On Nvidia Supported graphic cards include the GeForce 8400M GS. I mean, it appear supported (In theory) using the flag "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" w/o quotes... So, you should try without whatever injector .kext (device ID) you use from /Extra or /S/L/E. This maybe solve the shutdown issue.

Could you guys also try AnVal bootloader.

Use RestartFix=Yes if necessary. I know that it patches FADT table on the fly so it may work for you.

Hi, Does that bootloader using RestartFix=Yes fix shutdown? does it need EvOReboot.kext together?

@gurde, as JBraddock said have you tried with AnVAL bootloader? On Nvidia Supported graphic cards include the GeForce 8400M GS. I mean, it appear supported (In theory) using the flag "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" w/o quotes... So, you should try without whatever injector .kext (device ID) you use from /Extra or /S/L/E. This maybe solve the shutdown issue.

Are you saying the problem is NVinjector? No, it is not. wheter it using GraphicsEnabler=Yes or gfx string directly com.apple.Boot.plist or whatever, i have tried using all these methods just to be sure. they all do the same thing after all, but i have tried them just to be sure...

Does AnVAL have shutdown fix using RestartFix=Yes ?

For now, what I am doing to shutdown without being forced to press the power button for seconds is to restart, then boot with -s (single-user mode) then execute shutdown -h now.. that's the only way it shuts fu****g down, by now, but it is a slow process.. I am using just RestartFix=Yes

MaLd0n, yes I did all those changes to the DSDT.

Added DTGP, removed IRQ, patched LPC, added SBUS, fixed USB Sleep, fixed IDE, fixed Clamshell, fixed video and also added the shutdown stuff.

I checked kextstat and kext are loaded for LPC and SMBus and others.

Attached my latest version. Could you check it out? Maybe I did something wrong.

dsdt.dsl.zip

check it

Device (HPET)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
                   Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
                   Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       [color="#FF0000"][b]IRQNoFlags ()
                           {0}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}[/b][/color]