Asus 1215n Snow leopoard!

Frosty the Snow man

11 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone.

I have just opened up my ups box with my 1215n in it. I was wondering if there are any on going projects regarding to hackintoshing this beast? (I tried searching but nothing showed up :rolleyes: )

Is there any fellow 1215n owners out there willing to brave on the path to hackintoshing this machine? or am I out here alone? Please Post your thoughts! thanks!

Well, I ordered a Snow Leopard disc from apple australia today.

Should be here in a couple of days.

==edit==

I just found a working kext for the wireless card. My 1215n come with an artheros ar9285 card.

Of course i havent been able to install yet. However multiple reports from different laptops with the same

card says it works. The kext it extracted from the 10.6.5 beta.

Food for thought : The biggest hurdle seems to be getting the graphics to work since there are no known mac hardware with optimus technology. I will look into possible solutions (thought about disabling the igp to have ion enabled at all times however ion needs the IGP to draw on the out after it renders everything. More details to come. It beats me as to why they decided to bottleneck the ion by pairing it to finish the drawing with the intel IGP)

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I ordered a Snow Leopard disc from apple australia today.

Should be here in a couple of days.

==edit==

I just found a working kext for the wireless card. My 1215n come with an artheros ar9285 card.

Of course i havent been able to install yet. However multiple reports from different laptops with the same

card says it works. The kext it extracted from the 10.6.5 beta.

Food for thought : The biggest hurdle seems to be getting the graphics to work since there are no known mac hardware with optimus technology. I will look into possible solutions (thought about disabling the igp to have ion enabled at all times however ion needs the IGP to draw on the out after it renders everything. More details to come. It beats me as to why they decided to bottleneck the ion by pairing it to finish the drawing with the intel IGP)

Any update on success with graphics?

Cheers,

Following the 1201n guide caused a KP after using the installer for 1201n.

So I started back from scratch reinstalling just the OS.

Havent had time to install any kexts yet.

All working except sound, webcam, wireless, ION.

More info to follow soon!

======edit=======

I got home from work and resumed tinkering.

Right now I have everything working(including dual boot) except for the graphics!

The path I took to get the machine working was as follows.

step 1. Buy 30 dollar upgrade disc cuz I am el cheapo!

step 2. Borrow 8gig usb and restore the disc image from the upgrade disc.

step 3. run netbook boot maker(not installer) and patch the USB with Snow Kitten.

step 4. patch the osintall frame work and osintall.pkg to allow snow leopard to be installed in the hard drive with windows 7 already on it.

(since my 1215n came with windows 7 it has a MBR scheme. The original snowy leopard disc does not allow users to install to a MBR schemed disc. I forces them to install after formatting using a GUID scheme. This patch bypasses the check so You don't have to reload windows 7.)

step 5. Cross my fingers and boot from USB and install. (the install hangs at 10minutes for me. 1201n users report between 12 to 7 minutes. I have installed Snow leopard on 1215n 8times now and always hangs on 10minutes. So i think its safe to do a cold reboot after its been sitting on 10minutes left marker for 20 minutes or so. Also do not use any of the netbook installer stuff in the application menu of the installer you will KP!)

step 6. Reboot! Boot with the install usb since we don't yet have a boot loader for our os x.

step 7. sit through the amazing welcome video without sound and choppy graphics. Fill out registration form as you would like.

step 8. WE HAS DESKTOP!

step 9. I installed the following kext using kext utility.

============================================

voodoohda.kext and prefpane ---> This enable trackpad, sound, mic.

AtherosL1cethernet.kext -----> This enable the onboard ethernet.

Asus Hotkeys ----> It is said it enables the hotkeys but doesn't seem

to work but it doesn't cuz a KP either.

IO80211family.kext --->This enables the AR9285 as a native airport card.

I found 2 versions of the IO80211family.kext on the net. One is 11.4meg

and another is around 22meg ish when unzipped. The 22 meg seems to be

kext from 10.6.5 beta it works like a charm. The 11.4 meg one doesn't work.

=============================================

step 10. Reboot to see if I get KP. (using the USB with snow leopard install disc of course!)

step 11. NO KP! Hoooray!

step 12. Install Chameleon

step 13. reboot

I hope these steps help somebody like me out there.

I got email from meklort saying that he is working on a new NBI.

As soon as I get a hold of it will run on Snowy leopard and let everyone know!

In the mean time Have fun hackintoshing!

In the mean time Have fun hackintoshing!

Awesome post, thanks.

Too bad my 1215N came with Broadcom BCM4313 wireless chipset, and as far as I know there's no OSX support for that chipset, is that correct?

Now then only the integrated graphics / ion. I suppose that's gonna be a difficult part.

Yeah as far as I can tell there is no working kext for the broadcom chipset.

You could always get a compatible card from ebay and replace the internal one or if you feel like openning the case is too much, can always choose a mac os x compatible usb dongle. I have seen some nice low profile dongles that sorta looks like the low profile bluetooth dongles so they don't stick out too much.

Meklort said he was partially able to get the kext for the gma 950 to work with the gma3200.

GMA 3200 which is the igp on the pineview chipset is apparently a close cousin to the gma 950.

He said he is also looking into disabling the gma so the ion can kick in fulltime.

Now if only i could get sleep shutdown and restart to work, I can be pretty happy with the state of the machine.

The script file says

"Supported chipsets:"
"- Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN"
"- Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN"
"- Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN"
"- Broadcom BCM4320 b/g"
"- Broadcom BCM4321 a/g/n"
"- Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN"
"- Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN"
"- All Apple AirPortOne cards"

So I suppose why bother?

//Edit: Alright, I was being too aggressive, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51725 here is more updated script, and it says it might support other chipsets as well :P

//Edit2: It seems that BCM4313 with PCI ID 14e4:4727 will not be having luck any time soon ;)

Now if only i could get sleep shutdown and restart to work, I can be pretty happy with the state of the machine.

I suppose http://www.osx86.es/?p=749 this doesn't work?

Everytime I install the EVoreboot kext thing the machine refuses to boot.

I reinstalled everything again yesterday, for some reason shutdown and restarts working nicely.

Sleep is still an elusive bird.

Still no words from Meklort with an updated NBI but I am sure he is working hard!

Here to hoping to hear from him soon!