Motherboard recommendation

nickdu

6 posts in this topic

I'm new to this forum and osx. I'm a windows guy but am looking to build a dual boot system for my next build. As you might expect I want to find out what hardware will cause me the least amount of headaches. I was here a couple weeks back and found several threads on the subject but for some reason I'm having trouble finding them again. From the couple threads I read the last time it seems as if Gigabyte in general were the most compatible with an osx install. What I think I would like in my next build are:

* mini-itx

* i5 or i7

* nvidia graphics

Can someone point me to good information on this?

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks. I did check out that DFI. While it looks good I was hoping for onboard NVidia graphics. And to my last list I would add wireless. And what sounded good when I was looking at other mini-ITX boards was the external brick, which I guess means there is no power supply in the case but instead there is a 12 v input on the back.

Thanks,

Nick

I have no idea what tonymac is, I'll do a search to see if I can find info on that.

Just plan on using it for a home computer for my wife and kids. Most likely they'll mainly use it for:

* browsing the web

* email (again web based I guess)

* office (word, excel, powerpoint)

My wife often complains about the current computer. Too slow, hangs (not sure if problem is network, OS in general (vista), or browser. Not too long ago she was complaining about her browsing experience, I think IE was hanging a lot, so I installed FireFox. Things got better. I asked her if she would like trying out a MAC. Immediately she said 'no way'. She said she often hears of problems from others who have MAC's, I think it's always had to do with trying to open up attachments others have sent them. At any rate my thought was to build a system I could boot both Windows and OSX on so it would give her the opportunity to try the MAC without having that as her only option.

Thanks,

Nick

tonymac

Well, there's something practical you can notice on both OS's.... How fast an SSD is (Vertex2 or similar). The reason Im bringing this up is the slowness you mention. Its what the average non-computer geek notices and then you will hear the words "pretty fast, this computers so fast, why this is faster than mine"

Funny thing is even a highly clocked dual core i3 with the right parts will give the quickness response the common user will just enjoy. BOOT up fast, Fast installs of apps. Movies move like butter and no pausing when selecting other apps.

So, if you want to impress... its about the sum of all the parts. Your building a Hackintosh so stick to what is proven to work and tonymac is well detailed and easy for the mind to ingest.