What is the best RAM to use for OSx86?

Dug Batterson

4 posts in this topic

This is the second of two problems I have had while building my hackintosh. I installed everything using iRobies guide. I have 1 gb of ram (1x OC Technology PC2 5400 Gold Edition GX XTC) and all has worked perfectly. I needed more RAM so I bought 4gb of Patriot (2x2) PC2 6400 800MHz ram. When I installed it I started getting kernel pAnIc at or shortly after startup. I rebooted in 32 bit mode, and was able to get along further until I stressed out the system with Final Cut, which resulted in another KP. I uninstalled the new RAM and put the old stick back in, and all seems fine again.. (Except the fact I need more RAM...) I have never had a KP with the original RAM, just with the new..

Are there certain kinds of RAM that work better than others? What is the deciding element? Bus speed? Manufacturer? Do I need to do a complete reinstall using the new RAM? I went with the recommendations for my board, and that didn't work out so well.

Thanks for any hints or recommendations you can give..

Dug

- OSX 10.6.4 (latest update)

- GA-G41M-ES2L (rev. 1.3)

- Intel Core2 Duo (6300)

- PNY nVidia Verto GeForce GT 220

To troubleshoot try just using one of the new (2 GB) sticks at a time. Try each slot individually. Even try the old ram in different slots. Make sure in BIOS the RAM settings are not overclocked. Set all the timings to default or auto. Does the problem occur in Windows (try under heavy load).

"Do I need a certain kind of RAM?" Check the Memory Support List for your MB as a starting point but usually any RAM will do as long as it's operating within it's specification (not overclocked) and with the spec of the board. 2x2 GB 800 MHz branded RAM on your board should be perfect.

Thank-You for the helpful words. I did try just one stick in both slots and in each slot like you suggested, but in each instance, a KP was experienced. Doing the same with my old stick worked flawlessly every time. I thought it could be just one of the new sticks, but alas, they both respond identically. (KP)

I have not tried the new sticks in Windows, though that is a great idea! (Isolate the OS as the culprit..) I do not have a Windows partition on my hackintosh, unfortunately.. I have a cheapy Acer Aspire laptop with all my Windows stuff on it, so I didn't bother on the hack-puter.. Didn't want to further complicate my first attempt at building a Mac machine.

I will check out the BIOS settings like you suggested. Hopefully that will be fruitful. As I said, this is my first build, so the whole BIOS thing is new to me and I am a little timid about messing with it too much. I'm not EVEN ready to jump into overclocking until I better understand the subject!

Thank-You again, you have been very helpful, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Dug