nVidia GTX460

lflashl

48 posts in this topic

about to rebuild my OSX86 System with Parts i have, and i have a GTX460 and wanting to know if i can use this on OSX86 Machine, (Intel). i have found posts about it, but no one has said it works or doesnt.

Man Ive checked everywhere and can't find any drivers or install guides that work for GTX460.

I will keep looking though and when i find a solution will post what i did.

I do have it working on my p35 ds4 in vesa mode (sucks) with Snow.

i tried it with this method:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214219

but i resulted in black screen :/

i have my monitor connected via dvi cable. tried both slots but the only thing i can see on the screen is: no signal :(

it shows the bios, the apple boot screen, and after it loaded all drivers it goes to black screen ;)

maybe it will work if you try to connect via hdmi or vga, but my monitor doesn't support hdmi and i have no vga cable :D

Hi all,

Very keen to see this little card get up and working - like many my first Hackintosh is now a mature 12 months old built on EP45-UD3LR C2D 3GHz, and N/GTX-250. Configured as per the Doom42 guide it's been super stable for 12 months now. Used for everything including lots of reliable gaming.

Im now keen to go again with an i5/i7 and a nice mid range vid card like the 460. The reviews in Atomic magazine indicate that this is a really energy efficient video card and the price is right for a hobby build Hackintosh.

The ATI alternatives seem a bit tricky - so this guy is right on the mark for me.

Best of luck to the uber-techies who may be looking at the 460 - go you good things!

C//

Well, it works, but only in Vesa Mode (no widescreen, no QE/CI)

Hi there. Could you elaborate more on Vesa mode, QE, and CI? I'm guessing QE is Quartz Extreme? CI is Core Image? So there is no support for the basic graphical foundations of OS X with the GTX 460 is what it sounds like.

Has anyone booted up and played around on a 460 in Vesa mode? What's it like?

Thinking of selling my 2 460s and getting 2 470s.

So we need drivers.. is this something I can do if I look into it? About how many lines of code are your typical OS X graphics drivers for a single card? Do they relate at all to the Windows Open GL drivers?

A ton of questions I know but thanks for reading!

• 5 weeks later...

dude, give up on writing your own drivers. Nouveau has been trying to do the same thing for linux for like 3+ years, and they at least knew how to interface their drivers with the OS. Mac OSX's graphics driver interfaces are afaik undocumented (or you'd have to sign an NDA with apple directly not gonna happen for homebrew). If your card isn't supported (I also have 460gtx I share your pain) then you are screwed at the moment. The only hope is if the 13" macbooks get refreshed with a compatible chipset or if the 5xx nvidia cards get a driver which can be used to get the 460 up and running (460 should use same die process as 5xx so it might work).

I'm really hanging out to try one of these cards - my experience with hacks and osx tell me that this card will be supported eventually but you're going to have to wait until either apple or someone like EVGA releases a driver (like they did with the gtx285 - even then it may not be of any use though).

This card will work eventually bu if you really need that sort of power now I'd probably just go with a 5770 (not an ATI fan though) or go one of the other 4xx cards based on the fermi architecture.

Has anyone booted up and played around on a 460 in Vesa mode? What's it like?

Yes. I´m actually able to run in 1600x1200 mode (on a 2560x1440 display), but I find it too slow for normal use, even if you don´t actually need gaming performance. Just moving windows or scrolling is a bit painful.

So we need drivers.. is this something I can do if I look into it? About how many lines of code are your typical OS X graphics drivers for a single card?

Just the fact that you are asking this question means that you probably shouldn´t try :-). The answer is probably in the ballpark way above 10.000.

Plus the driver API seems not to be generally available. Booo, apple.

• 1 month later...
about to rebuild my OSX86 System with Parts i have, and i have a GTX460 and wanting to know if i can use this on OSX86 Machine, (Intel). i have found posts about it, but no one has said it works or doesnt.

Hello ...

did you tryed this ?

http://netkas.org/?p=570&cpage=1#comment-119625

and this:

http://netkas.org/?p=564

Someone here said it works with the latest Quadro Drievrs from nvidia... Please report if you tried it out!

Hi guys

I just got my EVGA GTX 460 768mb working on 10.6.5 using the nVidia 256 Quadro 4000 drivers and Chameleon rc5 with GraphicsEnabler = Yes.

The problem is when i open World of Warcraft.

At login screen it seems to work well, but my computer freezes as soon as i get in game.

I´ve read some guys having a similar problem.

Anyone know how to fix this instability issue ??

Thanks for alL!

Cheers..

PG

post-627186-1290733118_thumb.png

Can you confirm this?

What is or isn't supported.

What card do you have (manufacturer, RAM etc).

Thanks!

I have a Evga 460 GTX 1014MB Ram. I dont know what isnt supported i think OpenCL isnt?.

I wonder why, there is no correcty information in the System Profiler.

Hey,

first of all sorry for my bad english.

Ive installed the NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Drivers from Tonymacx86. After reboot ive got a Full HD Resolution. But in Cinebech I only get 5 FPS. And my System freetz after 5-30 minutes.

Please Help,

Daniel

Hey,

first of all sorry for my bad english.

Ive installed the NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Drivers from Tonymacx86. After reboot ive got a Full HD Resolution. But in Cinebech I only get 5 FPS. And my System freetz after 5-30 minutes.

Please Help,

Daniel

I had {censored} results in Cinebench too:

5.39 - GTX 460

With my old GTS 250 that had native drivers the score was:

32.42 - GTS 250

Works with all resolution, but something is missing with opengl.

2z3zciv.jpg29h5z6.jpg