ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've got the Kaybl boot working with my Gigabyte 5770 HD (GV-R577UD-1GD )

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/products/produc...spx?pid=3283#ov

However I get a black screen if I connect my monitor via DVI once OSX loads. I get full resolution if I use Vervet and a DVI>VGA converter. I only have 1 monitor but I have tried both the DVI ports one at a time, I've tried using the power button to sleep the machine after booting and re-awakening it, I've tried added display sleep to expose corner and waking it back up - no joy. I've also added the native resolution of my monitor into the boot.plist but that doesn't help.

I've tried Baboon & Uakari also with each DVI port and DVI>VGA with each port. I don't have HDMI or Display Port inputs into my monitor so I cannot try them.

If I boot with DVI in > get black screen > then swap for DVI>VGA, then some of my desktop icons have moved which makes me think that something is being recognised. The problem is with the black screen I cannot run IOREG dump as I cannot see anything.

Here's my Boot.Plist and also a screenshot of my system profiler with the DVI>VGA in.

I'm running SL 10.6.4 and GFX update 1.0, Chameleon 2.0 RC4, 32 bit (external sound card drivers are only 32 bit at the moment)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string>arch=i386</string>
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>Graphics Mode</key>
   <string>1920x1200x32</string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>2</string>
   <key>Legacy Logo</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

post-656002-1286027452_thumb.png

NotShy_s_IOREG.zip

Hi,

I've got Kabyl boot working with 5870 eyefinity 6 on EVGA SR-2. But not able to test multi-screen now, I've only 2.

But it's booting and the screen is always on, from after POST to end of boot, in 64 bit.

Could you upload an ioreg dump? Thanks.

I said, that is working, only with some problems.

Have you tried to change your monitor from the DVI first connector to the second DVI connector (above)?

Mine doesn't work properly.

Please, tell me something.

Cheers.

I have 2 monitors connected to both DVI ports and they are working; however, you are right it is not 100% I have sleep that is not working (But it might be the lan driver as well I haven't had time to figure it out). Moreover, once I had problems with the first connector (It happened only once and after rebooting was ok butt..) the monitor was not working right, the screen was turning black for few seconds every so and then.

I have no idea on how to dump a ioreg otherwise I would :thanks_speechbubble:

Thanks for Kabyl !

Following his instruction and many trials and errors my Asus EAH4850 Matrix can work in 64 bit Snow Leopard 10.6.4 now.

Hi, @ROBASEFR

You need editing your com.apple.Boot.plist with :

PciRoot=1

AtiFb=Motmot

arch=x86_64 -force64

Also add 0x94421002 to IOPCIMatch in info.plists of ATI4800Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext

Repair permissions and Reboot

KP also with 4890 vapor-x under x.6.4 + GFX upd.

Adding ID in X2000 makes OSX crash when the cache is rebuilded.

GFX update + Exotic patch, no problem.

Any update Kabyl?

Can we help you more?

I need to find sometime to clean up the code and commit it, this has taken too long already, sorry.

KP also with 4890 vapor-x under x.6.4 + GFX upd.

Adding ID in X2000 makes OSX crash when the cache is rebuilded.

GFX update + Exotic patch, no problem.

HD4890 doesn't work without binary-patching the X2000 kext.

I need to find sometime to clean up the code and commit it, this has taken too long already, sorry.

HD4890 doesn't work without binary-patching the X2000 kext.

Ok that s sound better :-)

It' Time to me to move on hd5850...

No worries, mate. You are the master. We can't say anything bad about you.

But, have you fixed something regarding HD5870/5770? Or is only software cleaning?

I mean, with the future new release, will we have the same problems, or some problems were sorted?

Cheers.

XFX 5870 1GB

Finally, it works...thanks :)

I can now also have my crossfire setup installed and OSX does not hang/KP on me.

The only problem is that the second cards fan is at 100% all the time, something I can live with but would be nice if a later update could do something about it....with the ultimate fix being both cards being used (to drive the separate monitors).

Only tested DVI (as thats all I have).....with 1 card installed, both ports work flawlessly....when the second card is installed, I have to unplug and re-plug any of the cables to get a picture.

IOReg and screenshots attached.

shaithis___s_Mac_Pro.zip

post-47083-1286241483_thumb.png

post-47083-1286241497_thumb.png

In the last couple of days, I was rewriting ATI support in Chameleon, and had a few testers, but I need to make sure it works on most supported cards.

First I would like to outline a few things:

• This isn't a HOW TO get your card working, this is a request for testing.
  • Don't ask how to install the booter, how to use or add a given booter flag or how to run an update, if you don't know how to do that yourself, then this isn't for you, yet, learn that elsewhere, and you're more than welcome here.
  • I don't take responsibility for any damage this may cause, so take your precautions before you use this.

Requirements:

• An ATI Radeon HD5xxx or HD4xxx card.
  • Latest Snow Leopard with the latest Graphics update.

How and what to report:

• Disable any kind of enabler, injector or device-properties you're currently using.
  • Test every port, and any possible combination; test each port alone, then two ports, then three.. etc, to the best you're capable of.
  • Save an ioreg dump (Save from the File menu of IORegistryExplorer) each time you try a different port and/or combination.
  • Report any observations or comments.
  • Include a screenshot of the Graphics tab from System Profiler when reporting.

Multi-Display on Evergreen (Radeon HD5000 series):

evergreen.png

Check out this wikipedia page for more information.

This booter has a new key; "AtiFb", if one would like to try a different framebuffer;

Alopias

Alouatta

Baboon

Cardinal

Caretta

Colobus

Douc

Eulemur

Flicker

Galago

Gliff

Hoolock

Hypoprion

Iago

Kakapo

Kipunji

Lamna

Langur

Megalodon

Motmot

Peregrine

Quail

Raven

Shrike

Sphyrna

Triakis

Uakari

Vervet

Zonalis

If the card is not primary, then you need a <vendorid>_<deviceid>.rom under /Extra.

Currently tested and working cards:

ATI Radeon HD5970 ("deviceid and disabling of the second GPU needs to be done in the driver files", thanks to Spanky Deluxe).

ATI Radeon HD5870

ATI Radeon HD5770

ATI Radeon HD4890

ATI Radeon HD4870

To Trauma who started adding HD5xxx support, and to FKA (FormerlyKnownAs), joe75 and tmongkol for their great feedback.

Notes:

- Once the testing is finished, I'll submit the patch to my branch and then eventually to trunk, please be patient!

- The booter is based on my branch, so it includes the newly rewritten SMBIOS patcher.

boot.gz

Thanks for your excellent method and boot file for ATI Radeon HD cards.

After many trials and errors I have made 3 different cards working in x64 Snow Leopard 10.6.4:

1. Asus EAH4850 512MB in Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 MB (Motmot:1 DVI working only)(Cardinal:2 DVI working)

2. MSI R5770 Hawk 1GB in Asus P6T SE MB (Vervet)

3. Asus EAH5850 1GB in Asus P5Q PRO MB (Uakari)

The key issues are:

(1) edited all parameters in com.apple.Boot.plist (including AtiFb=xxxxx, arch=x86_64, -force64, etc.)

(2) injected VendorID_DeviceID in related ATIRadeon4800.kext, ATIRadeon5000.kext, X2000.kext and X3000.kext

otherwise you may get Kernel panic at X3000.kext or booting frozen at PciRootUID=x, etc.

For my MSI R5770 Hawk 1GB in Asus P6T SE MB (Vervet): lspci got the following:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:68b8] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device [1462:2140]

--

02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa58]

Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device [1462:aa58]

For my Asus EAH5850 1GB in Asus P5Q PRO MB (Uakari):lspci got the following:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:6899] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device [1043:0330]

--

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa50]

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device [1043:aa50]

For my Asus EAH4850 512MB in Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 MB (Motmot:1 DVI working only)(Cardinal:2 DVI working)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD 4850] [1002:9442] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device [1043:0254]

--

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio [1002:aa30]

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device [1043:aa30]

Thanks for your excellent method and boot file for ATI Radeon HD cards.

After many trials and errors I have made 3 different cards working in x64 Snow Leopard 10.6.4:

1. Asus EAH4850 512MB in Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 MB (Motmot)

2. MSI R5770 Hawk 1GB in Asus P6T SE MB (Vervet)

3. Asus EAH5850 1GB in Asus P5Q PRO MB (Uakari)

The key issues are:

(1) edited all parameters in com.apple.Boot.plist (including AtiFb=xxxxx, arch=x86_64, -force64, etc.)

(2) injected VendorID_DeviceID in related ATIRadeon4800.kext, ATIRadeon5000.kext, X2000.kext and X3000.kext

otherwise you may get Kernel panic at X3000.kext or booting frozen at PciRootUID=x, etc.

With my 5870 nad 5850, I already had Vendor ID and device ID inside the 5000.kext and x3000.kext and still have panic because of X3000.kext

Working - Powercolor ATI HD 4770 (am using via DVI) using your boot file

added to Boot.plist

<key>AtiFb</key>

<string>Flicker</string>

Also needed - ATIRadeon4800Controller from Snow Leopard Graphics Update with card ID added to plist

Using AtiRadeonX2000GA and AtiRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle and AtiRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle and AtiRadeonX2000 (this last kext the user needs to add card ID) - all extracted from 10.6.3v1.1 combo update

See rafirafi's tutorial on the 4770. I wrote a supplemental for new users, post 2; as he points out, the kexts need to be installed carefully in order stated to avoid kernel panic/getting locked out.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225753

Big thanks to Kabyl.

Kabyl,

thanks for the work and the test efforts. My results:

My hardware: Asrock X58 Extreme3 with a Club 3D HD5750 1GB.

My software: OS X 10.6.4 with the Snow Leopard Graphics Update installed. /E/E/ has EvOreboot.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Note that the 5750 was not in your list, I understand a driver is now officially part of OS X with the Snow Leopard Graphics Update (for Mini).

Added 0x68be1002 to ATI5000Controller.kext.

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

PciRoot=0

AtiFb=Vervet

Results:

- When I boot using "/mach_kernel -x" (safe mode) I get full screen resolution for the display. Wow, too bad it's safe mode only.

- I get a grey screen with working mouse pointer when I boot normally; system is up and running as I can ssh to it.

Also downloaded the correct ROM and added UseAtiRom but this doesn't change anything. (This is my single/primary card.)

Is 5750 outside the scope of this test?

Regards,

Likewise

I'm going to need the subsystem ids from all those with a working card (even if the they needed to add the device id to an Info.plist); run this command in a Terminal window and post the output:

sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem

This is going to help in using the best FB config for each specific card; because there are different cards in the same model and each have unique subsystem ids.

Thanks

I'm going to need the subsystem ids from all those with a working card (even if the they needed to add the device id to an Info.plist); run this command in a Terminal window and post the output:

sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem

This is going to help in using the best FB config for each specific card; because there are different cards in the same model and each have unique subsystem ids.

Thanks

here is my card details from pci card on system profiler :D

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Name:	ATY,Vervet
 Type:	display
 Driver Installed:	Yes
 Bus:	PCI
 Slot:	Slot-1
 Vendor ID:	0x1002
 Device ID:	0x68b8
 Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x174b
 Subsystem ID:	0xe147
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 Link Width:	x16
 Link Speed:	2.5 GT/s

here is my card details from pci card on system profiler :)

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Name:	ATY,Vervet
 Type:	display
 Driver Installed:	Yes
 Bus:	PCI
 Slot:	Slot-1
 Vendor ID:	0x1002
 Device ID:	0x68b8
 Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x174b
 Subsystem ID:	0xe147
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 Link Width:	x16
 Link Speed:	2.5 GT/s

That's helpful too, your card is already in my list.

Thanks.

Hello Kabyl

here is my lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem (Radeon HD 4850 Gainward GoldenSample)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD 4850] [1002:9442] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: CardExpert Technology Unknown device [10b0:0801]

--

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio [1002:aa30]

Subsystem: CardExpert Technology Unknown device [10b0:aa30]

As you already know, the better results with my card with Motmot

Regards