ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

I just wanted to post a follow-up to my earlier posting. I found an enabler in /Extra called evoenabler.kext. Once I removed it, I got ... a kernel panic from my old friend ATIRadeonX3000.kext. I then tried putting my device ID in ATI5000Controller.kext and/or removing it from ATIRadeonX3000.kext (68be), and still ended up with KPs. Giving up for now. Dropped in an old 8800GT and things seem to be working flawlessly, though I did have to reinstall iatkos s3v2 to get things back in working order.

You can get past the kernel panic by trying Mohamed's bootloader, you will need windows to make your own rom. However I can't get past the weird screen.

I'm also giving up for the moment, the good news is that there are several others in the same situation as we are (see the topic of mohamed's bootloader, or the topic on 5750), so there is 'demand' for a bugfix.

EDIT: I've managed to get it working by injecting device-id 0x68be1002 into ATI5000 kext, info.plist.

I have a Sapphire HD5870, the following model:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/p...101&pid=337

It looks more like Vapor-X but is not.

I tried with the default framebuffer (I don't know what is for my card, uakari?)

Problems with Kabyl boot:

1) In the first DVI works good, in the second one doesn't.

2) Sometimes, when I turn on my computer, the screen goes black, and never came back. If you press the shutdown button, the computer goes to sleep, and if you press again, it wakes up and you can see the monitor (a workaround at least).

3) Can't see any pci information, but kayl said that is not important ATM.

Any tip or advise that I need to know?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Try different framebuffer with "AtiFb" option. People with 5xx0 cards have to use framebuffers with "monkey" names:

• Uakari
  • Vervet
  • Baboon
  • Eulemur
  • Galago
  • Hoolok
  • Langor
  • and so on...

People with with 4xx0 have to use frambuffers with a "bird" name, HD 3xx0/2xx0 "shark" name.

PS: thx boombeng for the tips, and the guys who gave him the tips.

Copied the boot to root and checked my kext for my device id and it was already there. I am getting black screens on boot and cant seem to get around them. Tried HDMI and my two DVI ports to no avail.

Running a Sapphire Vapor-X HD5770 on an ASUS M4A79.

I didnt add AtiFb as it should default to Vervet.

Hopefully I didn't miss something, if I did lease feel free to point it out.

Copied the boot to root and checked my kext for my device id and it was already there. I am getting black screens on boot and cant seem to get around them. Tried HDMI and my two DVI ports to no avail.

Running a Sapphire Vapor-X HD5770 on an ASUS M4A79.

I didnt add AtiFb as it should default to Vervet.

Hopefully I didn't miss something, if I did lease feel free to point it out.

try AtiFb=Baboon

Ok, so Baboon, Eulemur (not fully functional, displays show as VGA), Hoolock, Langur, Aloutta (I think, can't remember), all work perfectly in my opinion, with dual VGA (one with a DVI2VGA dongle.

I'll post up a dump with ioreg later. Do you want dumps for each test?

How and what to report:

• Disable any kind of enabler, injector or device-properties you're currently using.
  • Test every port, and any possible combination; test each port alone, then two ports, then three.. etc, to the best you're capable of.
  • Save an ioreg dump (Save from the File menu of IORegistryExplorer) each time you try a different port and/or combination.
  • Report any observations or comments.
  • Include a screenshot of the Graphics tab from System Profiler when reporting.

On my clone drive, I did the following:

Installed your r486 boot (replacing the boot9 version)

Removed my 1002_6899.rom file from Extra

Removed UseAtiROM=yes from my com.appleboot.plist in Extra

Booted to clone - looks good.

Started with DVI1, pulled hot from card and moved to DVI2, moved to HDMI - all worked as expected - plug in cable, small delay, video appears.

Performance and features were all comparable to the boot9 loader featured in this discussion: ATI HD 5770

I did notice that when the HDMI cable was connected, System Profiler added the line "Television: Yes." This behavior is consistent with boot9. When you look at my Sys Profilers, you'll see that the info listed when I used boot9 and the ATI ROM shows details not present for r486 (slot, ROM Version, EFI Driver Version). I guess these are simply cosmetic items.

I did not manually set a framebuffer. Based on the ioreg output, I'm assuming it's using Uakari by default.

My card is a GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD (Cypress Pro 5850) - a link to this card is available via the 5770 link above.

Although it likely has no bearing, between my first test (DVI1) and the others (DVI2/HDMI), I upgraded my CPU from a 920@4.0 to a 950@4.2. I only had one display handy, so could not test multiple ports simultaneously. If I'm missing anything, or you need additional information, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Kabylr486.zip

Try different framebuffer with "AtiFb" option. People with 5xx0 cards have to use framebuffers with "monkey" names:

• Uakari
  • Vervet
  • Baboon
  • Eulemur
  • Galago
  • Hoolok
  • Langor
  • and so on...

People with with 4xx0 have to use frambuffers with a "bird" name, HD 3xx0/2xx0 "shark" name.

PS: thx boombeng for the tips, and the guys who gave him the tips.

Hi, I tried all of them, but only works uakari, with my Sapphire HD 5870 1Gb link. The others doesn't work properly.

Hope that kabyl improve the booter soon, is not very reliable yet.

Cheers.

When I say reliable I say in terms of working 100% perfect, with all the ports, and without any glitches.

Of course is pretty useful, and he did a great job.

But, it still needs to be polished. Sometimes I have a lot of artifacts.

I am giving some feedback just in case is useful. I am not criticizing.

I have a Sapphire HD5870, the following model:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/p...101&pid=337

It looks more like Vapor-X but is not.

I tried with the default framebuffer (I don't know what is for my card, uakari?)

I have your same card and it works for me I was using dumped rom and Trauma boot9 before but this new boot r486 seems to work better I tested also some games and had no problems.

I just replaced the boot file and deleted the rom file plus the mention UseAtiROM=yes from my com.appleboot.plist.

Cinebench 11.5 is 30.50 and even if is still 20 or so lower than win7 score is great to have it running on osx. Thanks a lot to you guys!

I have your same card and it works for me I was using dumped rom and Trauma boot9 before but this new boot r486 seems to work better I tested also some games and had no problems.

I just replaced the boot file and deleted the rom file plus the mention UseAtiROM=yes from my com.appleboot.plist.

Cinebench 11.5 is 30.50 and even if is still 20 or so lower than win7 score is great to have it running on osx. Thanks a lot to you guys!

I said, that is working, only with some problems.

Have you tried to change your monitor from the DVI first connector to the second DVI connector (above)?

Mine doesn't work properly.

Please, tell me something.

Cheers.

Thank you very much, got my mates Sapphire Vapor-X 5770 working by just replacing the boot file with yours, and adding the proper Device ID in Info.plist in the ATI5000Controller.kext

Will post further results and tests later, I ran out of time.

I tried both DVI ports and DVI>VGA adaptor which worked perfectly :) couldn't try DisplayPort or HDMI though.

I tried both DVI ports and DVI>VGA adaptor which worked perfectly :gun: couldn't try DisplayPort or HDMI though.

But, Have you tried always with DVI>VGA adapter? or without the adapter as well?

I am using DVI without any kind of adapter.

Cheers.

Hi.

Sorry for my english, hope its fine!!

i'm not so expert about installing snow leopard.

I managed to successfully install snow leopard 1 time

using hazard version and after a lot...a lot of try!

But computer wasnt mine!

I'd like to install snow leopard to my computer (like showed in my signature)

The problme is i dont know how to do it and where to start.

Can i use a snow leopard image like hazard iso or is better another one?

Which steps i have to do?

what i'm asking is not a "complete guide" (i'd like, but i know that all'll ignore me!!!)

bue just a "start"...just a little help to start from.

hope in someone help!

thx!! :hysterical:

Hi.

Sorry for my english, hope its fine!!

i'm not so expert about installing snow leopard.

I managed to successfully install snow leopard 1 time

using hazard version and after a lot...a lot of try!

But computer wasnt mine!

I'd like to install snow leopard to my computer (like showed in my signature)

The problme is i dont know how to do it and where to start.

Can i use a snow leopard image like hazard iso or is better another one?

Which steps i have to do?

what i'm asking is not a "complete guide" (i'd like, but i know that all'll ignore me!!!)

bue just a "start"...just a little help to start from.

hope in someone help!

thx!! :hysterical:

First of all, this is a specialized thread, about graphic cards, and is supposed that you have snow leopard installed.

Don't use it for ask general questions, because the people will ignore you, and they are right.

I will tell you some things, but from now on, try to search the best thread for your purpose, ok?

If you want to start from scratch, I recommend you a blog. That is the first blog that I follow, less than 2 months ago, and I learn and understand a lot. The blog is:

http://aserebln.blogspot.com/

Sadly is not updated since long time ago, but to start is really good.

Start from the beggining, and when you know something more, if you need more info ask in the proper thread of this forum.

I understand that if english is not your first language, at the beginning is hard to start. Same with me. My english is not good, and I understand you perfectly (but your english is fine, probably better than mine). Sometimes the people could misunderstand you, so try to be as much clear with less words as you can.

Hope to help you a little bit.

Have luck.

Cheers.

I got Asus EAH5750 (non Formula) working in 64-bit.

I am using DVI (both A & B working) with Vervet (Default)

I have used kabyl's method & additionally i have injected '0x68BE1002' into ATI5000 kext, info.plist

& then BINGO!!!

Thanks Kabyl for your wonderful bootloader......

First of all, this is a specialized thread, about graphic cards, and is supposed that you have snow leopard installed.

Don't use it for ask general questions, because the people will ignore you, and they are right.

I will tell you some things, but from now on, try to search the best thread for your purpose, ok?

If you want to start from scratch, I recommend you a blog. That is the first blog that I follow, less than 2 months ago, and I learn and understand a lot. The blog is:

http://aserebln.blogspot.com/

Sadly is not updated since long time ago, but to start is really good.

Start from the beggining, and when you know something more, if you need more info ask in the proper thread of this forum.

I understand that if english is not your first language, at the beginning is hard to start. Same with me. My english is not good, and I understand you perfectly (but your english is fine, probably better than mine). Sometimes the people could misunderstand you, so try to be as much clear with less words as you can.

Hope to help you a little bit.

Have luck.

Cheers.

thx a lot for your help!

I'll do what you suggest me,

have a nice day (or night?) :unsure:

Hello,

I've tried with ATI4850 Gainward 512 GS but i got a KP.

Actually no problem with CHam2rc5 rev518 as bootloader with original biosrom.

What do you mean with key AtiFb

do i have to try with that key in bootplist and no videorom ?

Thanks for reply

Thanks for Kabyl !

Following his instruction and many trials and errors my Asus EAH4850 Matrix can work in 64 bit Snow Leopard 10.6.4 now.

Hi, @ROBASEFR

You need editing your com.apple.Boot.plist with :

PciRoot=1

AtiFb=Motmot

arch=x86_64 -force64

Also add 0x94421002 to IOPCIMatch in info.plists of ATI4800Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext

Repair permissions and Reboot