ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

I'm stuck at whatever it's defaulting to. Again, probably only cosmetic, but perhaps someone can offer up a tip. Is it just me? or this particular card?

No, you're not alone and it's also not the booter's fault. It seems vendors hate some resolutions??!

If you have an older chipset (800/900 series) you can try AutoResolution patch; else the only solution is to dump the card bios, patch it and flash the card;

check this readme

and follow the links inside. The readme is on a folder at my branch, which holds the AutoResolution patch; i'm keeping it synced with Chameleon's trunk since i do use it.

Besides that, all you can do is add your resolution to Boot.plist and theme.plist (on a theme folder) and the booter will pick the closest resolution available;

1024x768x32 is the default when everything else fails.

Cheers...

hey guys, I have a gigabyte 5870 and tried a few boot files, everything works for me BUT I have to re plug in my dvi cable every time I boot into OSX from windows to get the monitor to display.

Its become really annoying getting on my hands and knees all the time, is this a known issue for the gigabyte card? havent read it anywhere.

Ive posted about this problem in a number of places without a single reply, I just need a bit of info as to if it is a fixable issue or if I just need to get another card as I need 100% functionality.

ANY help would be HUGELY appreciated!

hey guys, I have a gigabyte 5870 and tried a few boot files, everything works for me BUT I have to re plug in my dvi cable every time I boot into OSX from windows to get the monitor to display.

Its become really annoying getting on my hands and knees all the time, is this a known issue for the gigabyte card? havent read it anywhere.

Ive posted about this problem in a number of places without a single reply, I just need a bit of info as to if it is a fixable issue or if I just need to get another card as I need 100% functionality.

ANY help would be HUGELY appreciated!

ovo - you could try flashing a different manufacturers bios to your 5870 (backup your current one first though) - if you don't know how to or are unsure then I would probably suggest you don't try it.

Does this also happen on a cold boot btw? i.e. if you boot straight in to os x? - it's an odd problem and not one that I have seen reported before :wacko:

hmm, thanks for the feedback.

I have flashed the last 5870 I had once under instruction from a guy at powercolor but thats about the extent of it.

Im really wishing Id bought a reference card now as Im starting to worry that its something related to my system as my last card occasionally did the same thing.

Any suggestions to what I could flash it with?

hmm, thanks for the feedback.

I have flashed the last 5870 I had once under instruction from a guy at powercolor but thats about the extent of it.

Im really wishing Id bought a reference card now as Im starting to worry that its something related to my system as my last card occasionally did the same thing.

Any suggestions to what I could flash it with?

Before you start thinking about flashing the card can you tell me if this also happens on a cold boot? i.e. if you boot straight in to os x?

Also - can you try using a dvi->vga adapter.

Before you start thinking about flashing the card can you tell me if this also happens on a cold boot? i.e. if you boot straight in to os x?

Also - can you try using a dvi->vga adapter.

you are a complete legend Andy, using the dvi to vga adapter has fixed the problem :)

Cant believe I didnt think to try this in all that time, strangely being a windows card the fans spin up loud when using the bios until the OS loads but I will prob take the fans n cooler of it anyway and replace it with arctic cooling heat sync and fans with heat sensors as I want a near silent box.

Given how easily you solved the problem could I perhaps ask you to point me in the right direction with another issue?

Is there a way to boot into windows from within OS X ala bootchamp or bootcamp so I never have to see the bios again? Ive read lots but found nothing on doing this from within the actual OS.

For some reason I cant even use chameleon to to select windows, well I can select it but I just get an error which is strange as this used to work.

Again MANY thanks Andy as it was bugging the hell out of me.

Hi, today i have received my new dell U2711, i will test my hackpro, but there is some problem on the 5850 card, display port is active from boot to the apple logos, when framebuffer(?) start they lose the signal, and the screen go to standby

instead the double link DVI is fully functionally but have an issue, when the Fb starts and the desktop appear(same as previos situation) the screen go to standby, but if i disconnect and reconnect the cable the screen come back

i must create new dsdt.aml from windows whit displayport cable?

I use latest chamaleon's chimera version and ati kext from 10.6.7

tnx in advance

I have a Gigabyte HD Radeon 5830 card working with your boot file

UPDATE: After a little more testing I found that ZONALIS works much better than FLICKER (all ports working and multimonitor support verified) with and without the ROM file. Zonalis correctly allows DVI port 2 as well as HDMI (I am unable to test DisplayPort but I bet it works too). DVI port 1 also works.

I didn't try dvi1 and dvi2 together but I have a feeling they would work as well. As I stated, multimonitor support works and you can mirror displays from HDMI and DVI port 2 as well as span.

If you have a 5830 Card try Zonalis!! (if you have any issues with Zonalis try Flicker on HDMI with dvi2 dongle/connected)...

Hope this helps!!!

Awesome work!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Message Below:

I wasn't able to get anything but black screens for Vervet and Uakari however the first frame buffer to work for me is FLICKER. However it is only working via HDMI port and only when second DVI port is connected as well. If I disconnect 2nd DVI port while HDMI is connected, you get a black screen on both ports. If I try connecting first DVI port instead, you get the same result on both ports.

I will be doing more testing shortly but I'm happy to finally have one work for me! It detects my display (Westinghouse LVM-37W3) correctly and in System Preferences you have all the display modes including 1080p which I'm using now! :)

BTW I'm using SL 10.6.3 and I didn't even update to .4 or .5 and also didn't do the Graphics Update! :) Also, I'm using the Legacy Kernel in 32 bit mode. I threw the necessary kexts into Extra/Extensions (ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIRadeonX3000.kext and IOGraphicsFamily.kext, added Device ID of 0x689E1002 into Info.plist of ATI5000Controller.kext as well as ATIRadeonX3000.kext and ran Kext.utility to fix permissions and rebuild caches etc. Also edited com.apple.boot.plist to add GraphicsEnabler=Yes)...

Hope this helps some people who have ATI 5830 cards! Thanks Kabyl! If I find a better FrameBuffer, I'll let you know shortly however I'll take this for now! Beautiful work!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my Hackintosh rant to Steve Jobs and Apple management. Steve, you are not getting any younger and it is about time you licensed the O/S to the masses. Not doing so only makes Microsoft richer. Bill Gates is still laughing at you for not doing this years ago...and so you made a mistake and now it is time to correct it. You won't lose sales but rather you'll gain millions of clients and licensing deals with oems and start taking away much needed marketshare from Microsoft. Share and stop holding on so tightly! What are you so afraid of? Massive adoption of OSX in the market? Geez...

I have a ASUS EAH-5830 card working too !!!! with your boot file and Zonalis !!!!

QE/CI not working...

Thank you so much !!!!

Hi, today i have received my new dell U2711, i will test my hackpro, but there is some problem on the 5850 card, display port is active from boot to the apple logos, when framebuffer(?) start they lose the signal, and the screen go to standby

instead the double link DVI is fully functionally but have an issue, when the Fb starts and the desktop appear(same as previos situation) the screen go to standby, but if i disconnect and reconnect the cable the screen come back

tnx in advance

I had the same problem which I just solved with the help of Andy by simply using a dvi to vga adaptor, easy enough to try out at least!

PowerColor has officially launched the Radeon HD 6870 X2, a dual-GPU card based on the Barts XT GPU (1120 stream processors, 56 texture units and 32 ROPs).

Each GPU is clocked at 900MHz and 2GB of GDDR5 memory are present (1GB per GPU). The board has two 8-pin connectors allowing a max power consumption of 375W (like ASUS’s MATRIX GTX 580).

The HD 6870 X2 is priced at US $450.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20110622/powercolor...-card-launched/

Think this one will work? Seeing how 6870 is working.. although probably not.

• 2 weeks later...

tnx in advance

Hi. I've got the same problem with my rig, except the gpu is a Sapphire 5870. Using the dvi-vga does not solve the issue, as I can't get the monitor's full resolution 2560 x 1440. So, i'm stuck with 1920x1080.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Marcelo

• 2 weeks later...

Having trouble getting QE / CI on Sapphire 6790 , 1Gb DDR5, 256biti, Barts, ID 673e

Have 1400x1050 resolution and I keep getting the "unsupported card" message at boot whatever latest bootloader (chimera or chameleon) i try.

I can provide any information required.

post-131901-1310592540_thumb.png

This is what I get from lspci , I hope it helps.

I own a ATI Radeon HD 6750

pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper LE [AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series] [1002:68bf] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Unknown device [174b:e144]

--

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series] [1002:aa58]

Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Unknown device [174b:aa58]

This is what I get from lspci , I hope it helps.

I own a ATI Radeon HD 6750

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper LE [AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series] [1002:68bf] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Unknown device [174b:e144]

--

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series] [1002:aa58]

Sapphire Radeon HD 6750 Vapor-X (0x68BF1002)

I'm in the same boat, any advice much appreciated!

Sapphire Radeon HD 6750 Vapor-X (0x68BF1002)

I'm in the same boat, any advice much appreciated!

I guess you're the guy in the other forum :).

I still can't load the card, tried almost every framebuffer (output) and have the system halted every time.

One important observation: "Alouatta" loads many pages of lines before stop loading the system, different of the other names (where it is stopped at the beginning).

I tried to boot with the args:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Framebuffername -v

with every FB mentioned at the first topic, and could not get success with any one. On the Sapphire HD 6750

Hi r2arthur, yes its desperately me. :(

Okay what I have done so far to make it work is:

- installed Xcode from the SL disk

- downloaded Chameleon trunk from http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...tree/HEAD/trunk

- edit ati.c and added:

sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem
Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Unknown device [174b:e148]
--

Device ID: [1002:68bf] = 0x68BF

Subsystem ID: [174b:e148] = 0xe148174B

{ 0x68BF,	0xe148174B, CHIP_FAMILY_JUNIPER,	"ATI Radeon HD 6750",				kVervet	},

- compiled the code and replaced the boot file with the new one, add

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

to the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

- edit ATI5000Controller.kext / Info.plist and add your device id 0x68BF1002

Reboot and pray! :)

2e2gej6.jpg

Geekbench is running and the performance is good, only problem left is DVD-Player is crashing and the task-bar at the top has no transparency. Does this mean QE/CI isn't working?

Any of you ATI Pros, can you please give me a hint what I'm missing here? Be kind with me, it's my first time doing such stuff. :P

Thanks in advance!

Hi r2arthur, yes its desperately me. :P

Okay what I have done so far to make it work is:

- installed Xcode from the SL disk

- downloaded Chameleon trunk from http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...tree/HEAD/trunk

- edit ati.c and added:

sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem
Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Unknown device [174b:e148]
--

Device ID: [1002:68bf] = 0x68BF

Subsystem ID: [174b:e148] = 0xe148174B

{ 0x68BF,	0xe148174B, CHIP_FAMILY_JUNIPER,	"ATI Radeon HD 6750",				kVervet	},

- compiled the code and replaced the boot file with the new one, add

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

to the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

- edit ATI5000Controller.kext / Info.plist and add your device id 0x68BF1002

Reboot and pray! :P

2e2gej6.jpg

Geekbench is running and the performance is good, only problem left is DVD-Player is crashing and the task-bar at the top has no transparency. Does this mean QE/CI isn't working?

Any of you ATI Pros, can you please give me a hint what I'm missing here? Be kind with me, it's my first time doing such stuff. :P

Thanks in advance!

Wow. I did not know I would have to edit the source code. I will think a little bit more before doing that, because I'm afraid of crashing my system :(

Any of you ATI Pros, can you please give me a hint what I'm missing here? Be kind with me, it's my first time doing such stuff. tongue.gif

Hi Bism4rck, you're getting the hang of it and missing just a little bit; you need to replace a dev id close to yours on ATIRadeonX3000.kext's

info.plist and binary; 68BE seems a good candidate. Check the talk from this post on and see if you can manage it.

On the controller (ATI5000Controller.kext as you know) replacing or adding the dev id on the info.plist is enough; replace the same you

replaced on ATIRadeonX3000 if present, add if missing.

I'll take care of the booter part :D i have all i need from you.

Having trouble getting QE / CI on Sapphire 6790 , 1Gb DDR5, 256biti, Barts, ID 673e

I can provide any information required.

Geekster, you're getting the "unsupported card" message because there's no framebuffer defined for your card (kNull); you need to use AtiConfig=someFramebuffer to find the best framebuffers for your card; the list is on the first post.

But, though your dev id is present on the code, it's not present on Apple's drivers, so you'll have to bin patch ATIRadeoX3000 like

Bism4rck is doing... follow his lead.

I need your subsys dev id; the subsys vendor (174B) is on the pic you posted.

Wow. I did not know I would have to edit the source code. I will think a little bit more before doing that, because I'm afraid of crashing my system sad.gif

r2arthur, you're on the same boat of Bism4rck; do like him, i'll take care of adding the card info to the booter...

i have all that's needed from your posts :)

If you guys feel lonely here, meet me at this topic.

See ya later...

curious is anyone has added the zacate amd e-350 IGP (radeon hd 6310) I looked at ati.c and it isn't listed. viewed via the web. I can only get 1024x768 stretched resolution. Native res on my laptop is 1366x768. I've tried the lion kext's and such but I'm not a coder. Attached is a grab of GPU-Z for the id's.

this is in a Sony Vaio YB series laptop. everything pretty much works except for the 1024x768 stretched graphics.

post-397498-1310692957_thumb.jpg

curious is anyone has added the zacate amd e-350 IGP (radeon hd 6310) I looked at ati.c and it isn't listed....

Hi pkmvancouver, you checked correctly... it's not on the code and also not on the drivers.

I can add the device to the code (i need the subsys device id, it's not on the pic) but you'll have to patch the drivers your self.

Hi pkmvancouver, you checked correctly... it's not on the code and also not on the drivers.

I can add the device to the code (i need the subsys device id, it's not on the pic) but you'll have to patch the drivers your self.

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9802&SUBSYS_9082104D&REV_00

codename for gpu is 'Wrestler" from what I've read.

codename for gpu is 'Wrestler" from what I've read.

Yep, that's correct according to latest device ids list from AMD; in fact, it looks like it's used on 3 types of cards...!?

Thanks for the quick post; i'll try to be quick on adding the devices :thumbsup_anim: