ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

The 5400 series of cards is disabled in the ati.c with a knull buffer and no matter what you type as AtiConfig it stays disabled. After enabling it I have found that Eulemur works for my vga port and Alouatta for the DVI. I have not managed to get the HDMI port to give me anything but junk so far. Here is a boot that has the Eulemur fb by default for the 5400 series cards but now that it is enabled the fb can be changed with the AtiConfig boot option to try the others.

Just tried your boot with HD5470 1GB and the boot process stopped with:

ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space

Memory allocation error! Addr=0xdeadbeef, Size=0x0. File=ati.c, Line=668

any idea how to fix?

Hi! Still can't get it.

I'm already tried all tutorials I found on forum but still no any changes!

All stuff:

Snow Leopard 10.6.7 Retail

ATI Radeon Mobility 5650

Lion's kexts are installed

Lasted Chameleon RC r752

I changed boot file hundred times... whatever. Result = NOTHING

I dumped my 1002_68c1.rom (ids are correct), in /Extra Result = NOTHING

Typed all boot flags like GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseAtirom=Yes AtiConfig=Elemur....Vervet (x64 x32 modes) etc. And without all of them or combining flags. Result = NOTHING

Checked Lion's kext for proper dev id for 5650m - present. Went to profiler to see that kext is loaded (yes). Result = NOTHING

ATI Card remain unrecognized. Also I recorded with camera from verbose booting following Chameleon's msmgs:

ATI VGA Controller [1002:68c1] :: PCiRoot/Pci(0x2,0x0)/...
old pci command - 7
boot display - 0
dumping pci config space, 256 bytes
wrong BIOS signature: 0000
Not going to use bios image file
Found bios image
Adding binimage to card 68c1 from legacy space with size ec00
No BIOS replacement found.
Patching DMI table
Found SMBIOS System information Table 1
Customising system ID with: ....
ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml
Starting Darwin x86

Hi! Still can't get it.

I'm already tried all tutorials I found on forum but still no any changes!

Typed all boot flags like GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseAtirom=Yes AtiConfig=Elemur....Vervet (x64 x32 modes) etc. And without all of them or combining flags. Result = NOTHING

That should be AtiConfig=Eulemur. It may help if you tell people exactly what you mean by 'nothing'. This procedure works for most people so you have probably done something wrong. Getting frustrated and just saying it doesn't work doesn't give anybody enough information to help you!

Please I need Help

This is my hardware:

H55M-UD2H

Sapphire Flex Radeon HD5770 1 Gb

i5 760 2.8Ghz

My trouble:

I can install with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] & [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

BUT

COMPUTER FREEZES RANDOMLY (mouse is still operational)

I have tried so many things, I am lost now.

HELP !!!!!!!!

I am having trouble with HDMI sound. I just cant get it to work. I got both display ports working fine with full resolutions on ATI HD 5670 and mobo P7H55/USB3.0. HDMI sound is the only issue I just cant solve. Any help?

In the last couple of days, I was rewriting ATI support in Chameleon, and had a few testers, but I need to make sure it works on most supported cards.

First I would like to outline a few things:

• This isn't a HOW TO get your card working, this is a request for testing.
  • Don't ask how to install the booter, how to use or add a given booter flag or how to run an update, if you don't know how to do that yourself, then this isn't for you, yet, learn that elsewhere, and you're more than welcome here.
  • I don't take responsibility for any damage this may cause, so take your precautions before you use this.

Requirements:

• An ATI Radeon HD5xxx or HD4xxx card.
  • Latest Snow Leopard with the latest Graphics update.

How and what to report:

• Disable any kind of enabler, injector or device-properties you're currently using.
  • Test every port, and any possible combination; test each port alone, then two ports, then three.. etc, to the best you're capable of.
  • Post the output from: sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem.
  • Save an ioreg dump (Save from the File menu of IORegistryExplorer) each time you try a different port and/or combination.
  • Report any observations or comments.
  • Include a screenshot of the Graphics tab from System Profiler when reporting.

Multi-Display on Evergreen (Radeon HD5000 series):

evergreen.png

Check out this wikipedia page for more information.

This booter has a new key; "AtiFb" "AtiConfig", if one would like to try a different framebuffer outputs and card configs;

Alopias

Alouatta

Baboon

Cardinal

Caretta

Colobus

Douc

Eulemur

Flicker

Galago

Gliff

Hoolock

Hypoprion

Iago

Kakapo

Kipunji

Lamna

Langur

Megalodon

Motmot

Nomascus

Orangutan

Peregrine

Quail

Raven

Shrike

Sphyrna

Triakis

Uakari

Vervet

Zonalis

If the card is not primary, then you need a <vendorid>_<deviceid>_<subsysid>.rom under /Extra.

Currently tested and working cards:

ATI Radeon HD5970 ("deviceid and disabling of the second GPU needs to be done in the driver files", thanks to Spanky Deluxe).

ATI Radeon HD5870

ATI Radeon HD5770

ATI Radeon HD4890

ATI Radeon HD4870

To Trauma who started adding HD5xxx support, and to FKA (FormerlyKnownAs), joe75 and tmongkol for their great feedback.

Notes:

- The code is in my branch, I'll try to keep it updated with the changes in trunk as well.

- Once the testing is finished, I'll submit the patch to trunk, please be patient!

- The booter is based on my branch, so it includes the newly rewritten SMBIOS patcher.

boot.gz

Changes:

- "AtiFb" is now "AtiConfig" which I think describes better its use.

- The ROM image under /Extra should be named <vendorid>_<deviceid>_<subsysid>.rom; Radeon HD5870 Eyefinity6 is 1002_6898_0b001002.rom for example.

- New or already existing cards with the correct "AtiConfig" (thanks to your feedback).

boot.gz

Changes: patch commit revision 700 (09.01.2011)

- Added new card config names from the latest ATIFramebuffer.kext.

- Added few more supported cards.

- Added ROM Revision info. (untested)

- Replaced VBIOS with ATYbinimage to avoid a conflict with the NVIDIA Enabler.

- Fixed a logic mistake in getSMBOemProcessorBusSpeed().

boot.gz

Where can you get the chameleon r700 iso?

If you can't then how do you install it?

Hi Kabyl,

In the Chimera branch, MacMan has been looking to tidy up some of the coding for the 6000 cards.

I'm not 100% sure subsystem IDs for the ones that are specifically added in the middle section of ATI.c but I think the bottom section where subsys IDs are set to 0 to catch general device IDs could be expanded to give all of the IDs that are currently in the ATI6000Contoller.kext

Is there anyway to avoid getting errors on ATI.c if the device ID of the card isn't listed in ATI.c with a kNull or framebuffer ? It should just come up as unsupported card but I've seen people report getting errors on boot and it reports errors in ATI.c. I'll try to get the specific bdmesgs or screenshots to be more specific.

494 { 0x6718, 0x00000000, CHIP_FAMILY_CAYMAN, "AMD Radeon HD 6970 Series", kBulrushes },

496 { 0x6738, 0x00000000, CHIP_FAMILY_BARTS, "AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series", kDuckweed },

497 { 0x6739, 0x00000000, CHIP_FAMILY_BARTS, "AMD Radeon HD 6850 Series", kDuckweed },

499 { 0x6758, 0x00000000, CHIP_FAMILY_TURKS, "AMD Radeon HD 6670 Series", kNull },

500 { 0x6759, 0x00000000, CHIP_FAMILY_TURKS, "AMD Radeon HD 6500 Series", kNull },

502 { 0x6770, 0x00000000, CHIP_FAMILY_CAICOS, "AMD Radeon HD 6400 Series", kNull },

503 { 0x6779, 0x00000000, CHIP_FAMILY_CAICOS, "AMD Radeon HD 6450 Series", kNull },

Hello,

I'm trying to enable displayport on my sapphire ati 4890 on a G41M-ES2L and SL 10.6.7

install netkas' exotic 10.6.7 patch

qe/ci works with dvi, no problem.

system info tells i'm running ATY, motmot

but displayport connexion causes my monitor (a 27in 2560x1440 nec) to go to standby at boot. it seems to mess with refresh rates and can't cope : monitor displays alert box of refresh rate override of 120hz whereas it shoud display that high res @60hz.

I think the framebuffer gives wrong info or doesn't have info for DP standard res

any way to fix that ?

thanks

Can you tell me which framebuffer do you use and if you use a ROM or no?

thx :)

can someone tell me how i find the "e144174b" part of the room name??

did still i have to use these?

I use a XFX 5750. Works fine. All I had to do was specify the device ID in the ATI Kexts. Though I never tested HDMI so that HOOLOCK or whatever is news to me. I only use DVI. There have been some rare times where the graphic glitches on a reboot, I simply reboot to fix it. Not too concerned, 99.9% of the time, it boots fine, and when it's going, never an issue.

Is there anyway to avoid getting errors on ATI.c if the device ID of the card isn't listed in ATI.c with a kNull or framebuffer ?

Sure.

It should just come up as unsupported card

It was done that way on purpose, I wanted people to report the error so that we can add support properly.

Dang Ati.c error in line bla..bla..bla..

No support 6470M? {censored} almost 6 months since i buy this notebook {censored} totally useless to use it as hackintosh :(

I use other bootfile but stuck on lvds puzzle.

@Kabyl - I have seen a lot of newbie's getting confused about something and I was wondering if you might be able to help. In the current coding - the verbose output on boot is the graphics card name and the framebuffer that is autoloaded via ID recognition and doesn't take into account if anyone has forced the framebuffer via AtiConfig - it still shows the autoloaded framebuffer in the boot message.

Now I know it seems obvious that if you force the framebuffer then you should know what you are loading but I was wondering if there would be anyway to tweak the verbose output so that it shows if you using AtiConfig to override what would be the default card given by the IDs in ATI.c

This isn't really an issue that needs fixing but more of a "would be nice to" but I understand if you have more urgent matters to fix.

Maybe it you used AtiConfig it could show both what the default would be and what was forced ? Something like this - maybe it could look cleaner ?

ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space

ATI Juniper ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB (Auto=Vervet / AtiConfig=Uakari) [1002:68b8] (subsys [1458:21d7]):: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Anyways - no worries if you are working on other projects but I thought I'd ask.

@Kabyl - I have seen a lot of newbie's getting confused about something and I was wondering if you might be able to help. In the current coding - the verbose output on boot is the graphics card name and the framebuffer that is autoloaded via ID recognition and doesn't take into account if anyone has forced the framebuffer via AtiConfig - it still shows the autoloaded framebuffer in the boot message.

Now I know it seems obvious that if you force the framebuffer then you should know what you are loading but I was wondering if there would be anyway to tweak the verbose output so that it shows if you using AtiConfig to override what would be the default card given by the IDs in ATI.c

This isn't really an issue that needs fixing but more of a "would be nice to" but I understand if you have more urgent matters to fix.

Maybe it you used AtiConfig it could show both what the default would be and what was forced ? Something like this - maybe it could look cleaner ?

Anyways - no worries if you are working on other projects but I thought I'd ask.

I don't have a Radeon card to test, if you can try the attached booter.

boot.gz

I don't have a Radeon card to test, if you can try the attached booter.

boot.gz

Thanks for this ! It worked for me - I just tried loading a different framebuffer using AtiConfig at Chameleon boot screen and it changed the verbose output !

Cheers man! Can I ask if it can be added to the next update of ATI.c ?

My Mobility HD5650 is said to be "unsupported" while booting

the vendor id and device id are shown as

lspci -nnvd 0x1002:|grep -B2 Subsystem

pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:68c1] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:1436]

--

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa60]

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:1436]

have checked ati.c and cannot find any occurrence of 0x68c1.

Is it possible to add support for my card? Thank you.

Hi mens

Could somebody help me to get work my secondary video card???

My primary card is working via additional ssdt table with bios of my card

I tried to load the video card is also a SSDT table, the system boots, but Finder is not fully loaded, the icons on the desktop were missing and the system configuration is also not loaded. And of course sleep did not work (with one card everything works fine !!!!!!!!!)

Today tried a chameleon a second graphics card to work, but this time the Finder has loaded properly, the system information has another video card but the system configuration and sleep does not work... and also many applications not work and i cant get screenshot of system informationpost-2281-1306843211_thumb.jpg

and this is my dumps, dsdt and ssdttch.zip

PS sorry for my english :)

• 2 weeks later...

Been using r700 for a while now, and wanted to comment on something I noticed from the get go, but never bothered to look into at all.

I suppose it is a cosmetic issue and nothing more. With this 5750 card, the Chameleon boot screen is displayed at a default resolution. I'd say it's 1024x768 but even of that I'm not sure. I would think a modern card would have all the typical resolutions as VESA standards. When I go into video info at the Cham boot screen, I don't see any typical resolutions listed. No 16x10 and not even 4:3. I'm stuck at whatever it's defaulting to. Again, probably only cosmetic, but perhaps someone can offer up a tip. Is it just me? or this particular card?