ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

I´m really sorry about that :( it was i typing mistake.

I meen you guys are really great. ;)

I´m really really really sorry about that.

But if the bootloader use the original rom of my graphicscard i will test it so soon as possible on my amd-system.

And again sorry for that.....

Thx for your reply....

Hey no worries, it made me laugh :)

hi gUys,

Tried on my system with Sapphire 4890 vapor-x 1gb - not working (previously i use netkas exotic on last 10.6.4 graphic update w/o pb)

Maybe i forgot somethink ?

- reinstall graphic update

- use new boot

-> reboot : no full resolution

-adding device ID 0x94601002 in ATI4800Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext

KP during kextcache and same at reboot.

Try the procedure w or w/o GraphiceEnabler. Try with AtiFb Motmot....

not better...

4890 is it really working ?

(i'm using vanilla kernel in 64 bits mode)

bye and btw really thanks to share this work.

hi gUys,

Tried on my system with Sapphire 4890 vapor-x 1gb - not working (previously i use netkas exotic on last 10.6.4 graphic update w/o pb)

Maybe i forgot somethink ?

- reinstall graphic update

- use new boot

-> reboot : no full resolution

-adding device ID 0x94601002 in ATI4800Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext

KP during kextcache and same at reboot.

Try the procedure w or w/o GraphiceEnabler. Try with AtiFb Motmot....

not better...

4890 is it really working ?

(i'm using vanilla kernel in 64 bits mode)

bye and btw really thanks to share this work.

Have done exacly same and got same results fyi

have same card aswell

I've tried your boot file with the latest RC5 chameleon and it works great. My XFX 5870 card work straight away now under 10.6.4 with graphics update 1.0.

One thing I wonder though, on boot when I use 2560x1600 resolution the screen is black until I disconnect and re-connect the DVI cable. Is there a way to solve this?

I have the gigabyte GA-X58-UD7 revision one, bios F6 and the XFX 5870 card (which actually has a ASUS bios for voltage modding, but it works great anyway)

One thing I wonder though, on boot when I use 2560x1600 resolution the screen is black until I disconnect and re-connect the DVI cable. Is there a way to solve this?

Yes there is a way to solve it - depending on what VESA resolutions your graphics card has. Add the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>2560x1600x32</string>

If your graphics card supports 2560x1600 as a VESA resolution then it will display Chameleon at your native res meaning that OSX doesn't have to reset your display resolution when it boots up (which doesn't work properly on bootup with lots of hackintoshes it seems). If your graphics card doesn't support it then I'm afraid you're out of luck - you'll have to unplug/plug every time. Another (expensive) workaround is to add a second display. I haven't had this issue since I added a second screen which is initialised as the primary display by the card's bios (but is set to secondary in OSX and Windows).

My XFX 4870 did support the 2560x1600x32 VESA resolution but my XFX 5970 does not. :(

Hm okay, I just tried that by myself but I don't get native resolution in the chameleon menu. Are the VESA modes the ones listed if you select graphics info under boot options in chameleon?

Update: is there a way to modify the bios somehow, maybe someone else has done this before? I mean there's no reason why a card that can handle 1920x1200 VESA shouldn't be able to do the same for my resolution?

Hm okay, I just tried that by myself but I don't get native resolution in the chameleon menu. Are the VESA modes the ones listed if you select graphics info under boot options in chameleon?

Update: is there a way to modify the bios somehow, maybe someone else has done this before? I mean there's no reason why a card that can handle 1920x1200 VESA shouldn't be able to do the same for my resolution?

VESA resolutions can definitely be added to the bios since other bios files for other cards have them in. I've got no idea how to do it though and I did do a fair bit of searching around. The resolution numbers definitely aren't stored in the bios file in any recognisable hex or ASCII format - I did have a look with a hex editor.

If you're running a one monitor setup then your options are to either a) live with it ;) buy a secondary monitor or c) get a KVM to unplug/plug the display without having to physically disconnect it every time.

Well what I did in the end was I activated one corner to make the monitor sleep. That way I just pull the mouse down in that corner and the monitor sleeps then immediately wakes up again. The main point is I don't have to climb down under my desk after every start-up :rolleyes:

Well what I did in the end was I activated one corner to make the monitor sleep. That way I just pull the mouse down in that corner and the monitor sleeps then immediately wakes up again. The main point is I don't have to climb down under my desk after every start-up :rolleyes:

Ah yes, I forgot about that. That was my workaround on my 5970 before I got the extra display. I didn't think of the sleep corner though - I just set my system to sleep the monitor after one minute of activity. I restart so rarely these days anyway and when I do, I usually take the opportunity to go make a cup of tea. :P

No succes with Ati HD5750 (Club3D Noiseless edition, 1Gb).

Two monitors attached through DVI (24"+17").

OSX completely updated, graphics update applied and dev-id inserted.

Tried with GraphicsEnabler Yes/No

Tried specifying Vervet as AtiFb and tried without specifiying.

I don't get error messages, it just gets stuck while booting.

Device id: 0x68be

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Note that I'm booting in 64-bit mode, but I don't see how that could be a problem.

Also note that this card is not working with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 5XXX-3 boot disc.

I have a PowerColor PCS+ HD5770 1GB, and it mostly works fine with the Vervet framebuffer. The only part that does not work properly is when scrolling some web sites (most notably this one :() in Safari. I get long, perfectly vertical lines over portions of the screen, and sometimes the screen goes completely grey. If I keep scrolling, or pop dashboard in and out, eventually it comes back. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem?

I've tried a bunch of other framebuffers, but no other ones work as well as Vervet. I've attached a zip file of the IOReg dump and a screenshot of System Profiler.

EDIT: Of course I forgot to mention two things. I only have VGA monitors, but both DVI ports work fine with DVI2VGA adapters, either one at a time, or both at once. And in case it matters I have the following HW: Gigabyte P55M-UD2, i7-860, G.Skill ECO 2x2GB RAM, and the PowerColor card previously mentioned.

Archive.zip

Wondering if someone can help me work through this problem I'm having.

Using a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 I am on a vanilla install updated to 10.6.4 and SL Graphics Update 1.0.

I have a working system running iAtkos S3 v.2 and I used the included boot file and enabled graphics in boot.plist and it works beautifully...so I know this works I'm just having a problem now.

After getting the working iAtkos I decided to try the vanilla install and everything seems fine with the updates. Both worked with no errors but upon restart I'm getting the KP at com.Apple.ATIRadeonX3000 (pic attached).

When I was trying to get my card to work previously I was trying a lot of different fixes and I ran across this problem but I cannot remember how I solved it. I believe once I switched to this beta boot file that was all that was necessary. I have not touched any kext's in S/L/E and the only files in my Extra\Extensions folder are Disabler.kext, ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, EvOreboot.kext, fakesmc.kext.

The install of the operating system (disc was @ 10.6.3) went fine. The update to 10.6.4 went fine (but still no true graphics support...but it booted and I had a display to work with). The problem arises after I install the SL Graphics 1.0. Then on the next reboot it KPs.

I'm sorry if I gave too much (or not enough info) but if anyone can think of anything to try I'll be checking the thread often so I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks to Kabyl for the excellent boot file!

*EDIT*: Sigh....fixed my own problem. I hate the dopey mistakes but at least it was an easy fix and maybe I can help someone out. I kept looking at my boot.plist and it said:

<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Well I kept thinking that looked funny so I just decided to change "Boot Graphics" to "GraphicsEnabler" and it's working perfectly again. Hopefully this mistake can help someone else!

post-201728-1284727482_thumb.jpg

Kabyl, Just wondering what the difference is between your bootloader and the other one in this forum for ati cards?

Yours detects both my ati 5770 cards, and they both work (with crossfire bridge still attached too) but it doesn't show all the profiler info properly. Where as Mohamed's bootloader detects both cards correctly, shows ALL profiler info correctly, BUT won't work with both cards, only one.

You can peek here at my post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1548901

Any ideas how to combine both? That way both cards work, and also show all the profiler info correctly Thanks.

Kabyl, Just wondering what the difference is between your bootloader and the other one in this forum for ati cards?

Yours detects both my ati 5770 cards, and they both work (with crossfire bridge still attached too) but it doesn't show all the profiler info properly. Where as Mohamed's bootloader detects both cards correctly, shows ALL profiler info correctly, BUT won't work with both cards, only one.

You can peek here at my post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1548901

Any ideas how to combine both? That way both cards work, and also show all the profiler info correctly Thanks.

Mohamed modified ati.c file from Chameleon's distro adding 3rd monitor, changing names for specific ATI cards (just a cosmetic change which explains why you see proper names in system profiler) and setting proper framebuffers for 5xxx cards (in your case it will be Vervet framebuffer since you are using 5770 card). Kabyl is more likely did some other changes to ati.c but that's for him to reveal ;)

Hi Kabyl

Booted this morning and got this very odd glitch (see video.).

In-between the flashing I could still move the mouse and managed to restart.

I have until now been using the last boot file you sent me when testing. Don't know if anything has changed but in case have now switched to the boot from the first post here.

FKA.mov

Any ideas?

Here's the ioreg dump :rolleyes:

Dump.ioreg.zip

From your ioreg, it doesn't look like your card is working, I'll try to find out what's wrong.

Hi Kabyl

Booted this morning and got this very odd glitch (see video.).

In-between the flashing I could still move the mouse and managed to restart.

I have until now been using the last boot file you sent me when testing. Don't know if anything has changed but in case have now switched to the boot from the first post here.

FKA.mov

Any ideas?

Let me know if it happens again with the current booter.