ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I keep on getting an error while booting in chameleon:

I've added my card mobility 5650 (0x68c1) to ati.c and it works perfectly, but if I boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Eulemur UseAtiROM=Yes than it hangs with 0xdeadbeef on line 671 of ati.c

That line corresponds to method getromrevision. Any hint?

Try to void that part of code, I posted what I did two pages before, in that reply

I already tried that but I got:-

rectory

machOconv.c:32:20: error: unistd.h: No such file or directory[/code]

I don't know well, but after install xcode if you type make clean (to erase previous compilations) and make embedtheme (to create a boot compatible with themes) it should work.

I don't know well, but after install xcode if you type make clean (to erase previous compilations) and make embedtheme (to create a boot compatible with themes) it should work.

Hmm...Xcode already installed but this is installed a couple of months ago. Probably did not installed all required components but I doubt. I'm going to reinstall xcode again.

How do you add device ID in ATI.C?

{ 0x9552,	0x300017AF,	CHIP_FAMILY_RV710,		"ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series",	kNull		},

I know the first value is device ID but I don't know what is the second value (0x300017AF) is for. Do you know what it is?

Hmm...Xcode already installed but this is installed a couple of months ago. Probably did not installed all required components but I doubt. I'm going to reinstall xcode again.

{ 0x9552,	0x300017AF,	CHIP_FAMILY_RV710,		"ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series",	kNull		},

I know the first value is device ID but I don't know what is the second value (0x300017AF) is for. Do you know what it is?

subproduct and subvendorid. You can see it in your bios file mine is 02051025 (1025 is Acer's id) or checking it in windows.

I've installed xcode from SL 10.6.0 dvd, all except the last option, 10.4 stuff I think.

the second value is subsystem-id & subvendor-id so that it will load for the specific device.

for example, my HD5770, subsystem = e147, sub vendor = 174b

{ 0x68B8, 0xE147174B, CHIP_FAMILY_JUNIPER, "ATI Radeon HD 5770", kVervet },

subproduct and subvendorid. You can see it in your bios file mine is 02051025 (1025 is Acer's id) or checking it in windows.

I've installed xcode from SL 10.6.0 dvd, all except the last option, 10.4 stuff I think.

the second value is subsystem-id & subvendor-id so that it will load for the specific device.

for example, my HD5770, subsystem = e147, sub vendor = 174b

{ 0x68B8, 0xE147174B, CHIP_FAMILY_JUNIPER, "ATI Radeon HD 5770", kVervet },

Thank you very much to both of you. :( Yup, my xcode is not installed properly. I just reinstalled it & now I'm able to compile Kabyl's boot file from source.

It works bad for me, because I don't get the correct info for my mem speed (same as the other versions), so this version, like the previous one, doesn't change anything from my point of view, is exactly the same as the very first one (without the need to specify the framebuffer, but that's all).

More info of the mem speed problem in my signature.

Hope Kabyl could take a look.

Cheers.

Post your ioreg dump.

Hi Kabyl,

Have you taken a look at the problem? I posted my ioreg dump in that moment.

When do you plan to merge into trunk and add the info in the system profile?

Thanks.

how would i copy that "boot" file on my desktop to the root of my macosx trough terminal?

i can't get it to work....

I don't know your boot configuration but this is the basic how to install the boot file:-

1. Download the boot.gz file & put it at Desktop.
  2. Uncompress the boot.gz file. You will get a "boot" file.
  3. Copy to the root drive where Mac OS X is installed:-
    • sudo cp ~/Desktop/boot /boot

How do you add device ID in ATI.C? I add like this:-

{ 0x9553,	0x02BD1028,	CHIP_FAMILY_RV710,		"ATI Radeon 4500 Mobility Series",	kPeregrine	},

AtiConfig is not working properly for me. This is tested with 10.6.6 kexts. Did I do something wrong?

Please disregard my previous post regarding the "AtiConfig".

It doesn't work properly when entering for example like this:-

AtiConfig=Motmot -v

It work properly when putting "AtiConfig" at the end, like this:-

-v AtiConfig=Motmot

Please disregard my previous post regarding the "AtiConfig".

It doesn't work properly when entering for example like this:-

AtiConfig=Motmot -v

It work properly when putting "AtiConfig" at the end, like this:-

-v AtiConfig=Motmot

Hi,

I've got a worse issue, it seems. It doesn't matter what AtiConfig I place anywhere, it does not work.

I even tried to swear at it with bootline:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v AtiConfig=IHATEYOUSOMUCH

and again, it booted up with Megalodon framebuffer.

I am using a modified kabyl boot file by atlee with our card info in it (exact same card) - but for some reason this Aticonfig does not work at all. Perhaps the framebuffer is compiled into this boot file and ignores the changes? However atlee uses this boot file to test with 'AtiConfig' parameter so I'm just really, really confused.

Been trying to figure this out for 2-3 days now and really getting over it!

Hi,

I've got a worse issue, it seems. It doesn't matter what AtiConfig I place anywhere, it does not work.

I even tried to swear at it with bootline:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v AtiConfig=IHATEYOUSOMUCH

and again, it booted up with Megalodon framebuffer.

I am using a modified kabyl boot file by atlee with our card info in it (exact same card) - but for some reason this Aticonfig does not work at all. Perhaps the framebuffer is compiled into this boot file and ignores the changes? However atlee uses this boot file to test with 'AtiConfig' parameter so I'm just really, really confused.

Been trying to figure this out for 2-3 days now and really getting over it!

Did you try to insert it in boot.plist?

It should look like this:

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Eulemur</string>

Did you try to insert it in boot.plist?

It should look like this:

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Eulemur</string>

Yep.

I've tried it with that method, also kernel flags, with both and with only one. Nothing seems to make a difference. I always put the AtiConfig at the end of boot flags as well.

I'm really stumped and this is my first attempt at doing a hackintosh so I'm not really up to scratch on debugging tools. I've got IORegistryExplorer, it says there's three connectors, two are marked as Active and have 'compatible'='ATY,Megalodon' which appear to be VGA and HDMI - display-type is 0x800 and 0x10 form memory, and another which is not marked as active and has no 'compatible' with display-type of 0x2 which I believe is LVDS.

No combination of boot flags makes a difference to this, unless I boot with GraphicsEnabler=No, in which case I get full resolution with a flashy looking dock/translucency/etc on the internal screen.

I've installed your boot file on my hack yesterday running 10.6.6 and a PowerColor 5870 Eyefinity6.

So far it is working great, all ports working with full resolution and resolution change using Zonalis framebuffer.

I have one big problem though. Somehow my GPU fan spins way too high. At first i thought it was just at 100% all the time but this morning when i turned my computer on it gradually increased from barely audible to full speed. So i guess some temperature to fan speed mapping is wrong. SMC temperature reading said 68°C yesterday when it was at full speed.

I've used r700 from this thread and also r748 from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] but there was no difference

Also i do not use a rom file in /Extra, it gave me KP when i tried to include it.

Anyone with the same problem or suggestions what i could try?

edit: It's definately related to the Zonalis framebuffer. I've switched back to Uakari and it's back to normal again. But i really would like to use Zonalis since it supports all 6 outputs and also any connector on any port. With Uakari i have to use specific ports with specific connectors to get my 3 screen setup working.

"Changes: patch commit revision 700 (09.01.2011)"

Is this lastest Kabyl`s Chameleon build.. Other Chameleons has a lot of new builds .. or just the 1st post is not updated .. If there is something new from Kabyl, can somebody share just the boot file for replacing..

Anyone had a look at the new ATI kexts in MBP update? Any difference for 5XXX cards? I'm assuming no difference but I will try to get a test build of OSX together this week and have a go.

I installed the ATI drivers from the Early 2011 MBP 10.6.7 Update yesterday, and have dual 5770's driving three displays (one on primary, two on secondary) working. No GraphicsEnabler or framebuffer settings are needed with the update drivers. I had never gotten to creating a custom DSDT, so this is the first time I've had both cards running properly.

I installed the ATI drivers from the Early 2011 MBP 10.6.7 Update yesterday, and have dual 5770's driving three displays (one on primary, two on secondary) working. No GraphicsEnabler or framebuffer settings are needed with the update drivers. I had never gotten to creating a custom DSDT, so this is the first time I've had both cards running properly.

Sounds good ! Can you try opening DVD Player for me? Or try some gaming - as I get force closes when I open DVD Player with these new Kexts and also I've seen users reporting poor performance in Gaming (but I don't do any !)

Sounds good ! Can you try opening DVD Player for me? Or try some gaming - as I get force closes when I open DVD Player with these new Kexts and also I've seen users reporting poor performance in Gaming (but I don't do any !)

I had Warcraft with all display settings maxed running on one screen in windowed mode, VLC playing video on another screen, and misc apps on the the third screen. FPS was low in WoW (~20-30fps), but that's probably related to CPU load. Everything looked clean.

I'll try a DVD tonight.

I had applied the full 10.6.7 update before installing the MBP drivers.

DVD does indeed force close immediately. VLC plays the same DVD fine. I'll see if I can take some time this weekend to sort that out.

DVD does indeed force close immediately. VLC plays the same DVD fine. I'll see if I can take some time this weekend to sort that out.

Geekbench is another casualty, there has to be another Kext that is missing apart from the ATI Kexts.

Brgds

Geekbench is another casualty, there has to be another Kext that is missing apart from the ATI Kexts.

Brgds

Maybe the 2011 MBP update not working properly on desktop computer. I believe, as the name suggested, 2011 MBP update contain kexts tailored for ATI mobility card. Try use Lion's (10.7) kexts instead.

On my notebook, DVD player & Geekbench crashed immediately when the internal LCD not working (only external monitor working). I got it fixed when I got internal LCD working.

Maybe the 2011 MBP update not working properly on desktop computer. I believe, as the name suggested, 2011 MBP update contain kexts tailored for ATI mobility card. Try use Lion's (10.7) kexts instead.

On my notebook, DVD player & Geekbench crashed immediately when the internal LCD not working (only external monitor working). I got it fixed when I got internal LCD working.

Hi perhaps you are correct - Have reverted to kabyl's boot and GraphicsEnabler=Yes and replaced the kexts to the original 10.6.7, I also noticed that with the 10.6.7 SB kexts Safari was hanging on occasions. I use USB sound and prefer everything as vanilla as poss.

Kabyls has been rock solid although I would prefer an OSX solution....

Cheers.