ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

I haven't tested it yet as I'm still in work but I just read this article on 10.6.6 update and that it's supposed to help with the ATI/AMD Radeon cards. I know that some people have posted about jittery mouse movements and the like - sounds like it was an OSX problem rather then anyone's boot methods.

I didn't ever get this bug but I'll apply the update when I get home and post back.

Source:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/01/06/sol...ernal.displays/

Newly solved, for instance, is a problem with Macs using ATI graphics cards, which could potentially experience "erratic" mouse cursors when an external monitor is connected via DVI.

@ notsky

I'm on 10.6.6 right now all I did was use a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] patch for my 4850 card that is for 10.6.5 dunno if it actually changed anything but I have no erratic mouse movements or anything and shockingly the update only broke my sound but I only had to reinstall my older applehda and everything was fine.

I've still got the same problem I reported in the 5770 thread but I'm starting to think it's related to other high CPU demand processes. i.e. if I've just cloned my install mds and mdworker are bashing away or if ClamXav is running a scan.

So Im thinking it's either an OpenCL problem or an issue with CPUPM. Im not sure how the latter would effect graphics acceleration but anyway .. I still haven't tested with NULCPUPM.kext.

D

clamxav in general soars the CPU to do a scan that's why I've stopped using it because there hasn't a moment in time where I actually needed to scan anything with it.

And I just did a test encoding a while ago with handbrake as a multithread test and during the conversion while all 4 cores are at 100% and after it I noticed no erratic behaviors at all. I dunno if it might be specific to the 5xxx cards because they're the most recent used in the newest line of desktop Macs. I'd have to hear from others with ATI cards to actually assume anything though.

@ FKA You're on 10.6.6 now right?

clamxav in general soars the CPU to do a scan that's why I've stopped using it because there hasn't a moment in time where I actually needed to scan anything with it.

And I just did a test encoding a while ago with handbrake as a multithread test and during the conversion while all 4 cores are at 100% and after it I noticed no erratic behaviors at all. I dunno if it might be specific to the 5xxx cards because they're the most recent used in the newest line of desktop Macs. I'd have to hear from others with ATI cards to actually assume anything though.

@ FKA You're on 10.6.6 now right?

Yep 10.6.6 (need to update sig!)

chrishelms is the only other person reporting the same problem here. But he did post this link on the 5770 thread. It's several windows users reporting similar problems.

I'd say it could be a media player issue but I also see the fault with the flurry screen saver.

It is an intermittent fault and it is quite slight.

I'm using an 25GB mkv of Avatar as a test clip. I really need to get a good quality test clip from work in pro res or DVCPro 1080 @50Mbps - just be sure it's not a transcoding problem.

I think you're right about ClamXav, well Sentry at any rate - I can on demand scan anything I think potentially dodgy.

Cheers

D

I see so it's related to the card in particular. You could just view one or two 1080p trailers on apple's site to test if there are any issues with video playback for you.

And the only thing dodgy I'd ever scan on a mac would be a boot camp partition

8)

I see so it's related to the card in particular. You could just view one or two 1080p trailers on apple's site to test if there are any issues with video playback for you.

Good point - I didn't think about apple trailers!

And the only thing dodgy I'd ever scan on a mac would be a boot camp partition

8)

LOL - I've picked up 1 virus in 3 years of running OS X. and that was my own fault for ignoring a "get me out of here" browser message

D

How do I replace my hackintoshes boot file with the one u supplied?

copy the boot file to your desktop

in terminal type:

cd ~/Desktop

sudo cp boot /

enter your password on request -

please note this assumes you are using a standard Chameleon install, NOT an EFI based Chamelon install!

Apple trailers seem to play smooth - However they are quite a low data rate.

Average seems to be around 1.2MB/s where as my copy of Avatar is average around 2.34MB/s

and frankly even 19Mbps is a low data rate for HD video. If I where editing on FCP I'd probably use DVCPro at 50Mbps.

Will find a good test clip tomorrow if i find time.

D

Hi,

Asking again cause I never got a response.

Is there any way to disable the detection of a secondary card in another PCI-E slot? I'm having trouble with getting the system to boot with 2 Sapphire Vapor-X 5870's and this bootloader. I know it will work fine with the second GPU completely disabled. Any help is appreciated!

Apple trailers seem to play smooth - However they are quite a low data rate.

Average seems to be around 1.2MB/s where as my copy of Avatar is average around 2.34MB/s

and frankly even 19Mbps is a low data rate for HD video. If I where editing on FCP I'd probably use DVCPro at 50Mbps.

Will find a good test clip tomorrow if i find time.

D

Wow sounds like you do some serious video editing I see. We'll have to take this up in a pm about what you do in FCP because I'm gonna get off topic if keep going :)

Hi,

Asking again cause I never got a response.

Is there any way to disable the detection of a secondary card in another PCI-E slot? I'm having trouble with getting the system to boot with 2 Sapphire Vapor-X 5870's and this bootloader. I know it will work fine with the second GPU completely disabled. Any help is appreciated!

I've got no experience with dual GPU's but I know somebody has been successful in the ati 5770 thread.

I know its long but try to use search within the thread to find the posts.

D

Changes:

the ROM image under /Extra should be named <vendorid>_<deviceid>_<subsysid>.rom; Radeon HD5870 Eyefinity6 is 1002_6898_0b001002.rom for example.

Just to confirm for those as easily confused as me :rolleyes: - <vendorid>_<deviceid>_<subsysid>.rom

subsysid > subsysid+subvendorid i.e for 5770 > 1002_68b8_29911682.rom

All good with the latest revision and many thanks Kabyl. Trying to boot with Apple ROm and Hoolock FB with no joy (boots but no video posted past last frame of verbose text.)

Will try other FB's later this evening.

NB - works just fine with default Vervet FB !

D :wacko:

I've got no experience with dual GPU's but I know somebody has been successful in the ati 5770 thread.

I know its long but try to use search within the thread to find the posts.

D

Yeah I have it working fine in 32 bit mode with an EFI boot string and edited ATY_init (have since day one when I had the first Vapor-X 5870 working on its own testing for Netkas) but can't get it to work in 64 bit . This is mainly cause ATY_init isn't 64 bit compatible and the bootloader loads both cards regardless of the EFI string. That's why I'd like to know if there's a way to get it to only load one card.

Hi Kabyl,

To my performance problems related to versions higher than at least rev.486 (boot):

It's definately somthing that has to do with p-states..

First

in 486 (idle) temps are cpu heatsink: 28 / core: 42 Voltage: 0.93 adjusting according freq.

in 700 " temps : 34 / 49 Voltage : 1.23 stable

in 486 P-States are never generated during boot and seems to work like in Windows7 at correct speeds. Whilst in 700 speeds at load seem to vary.

My system : X58 Intel I7 920....

Best Regards,

Rupke..

@ Kabyl

Thanks for fixing bus speed info.

It works bad for me, because I don't get the correct info for my mem speed (same as the other versions), so this version, like the previous one, doesn't change anything from my point of view, is exactly the same as the very first one (without the need to specify the framebuffer, but that's all).

More info of the mem speed problem in my signature.

Hope Kabyl could take a look.

Cheers.

Hi Kabyl,

To my performance problems related to versions higher than at least rev.486 (boot):

It's definately somthing that has to do with p-states..

First

in 486 (idle) temps are cpu heatsink: 28 / core: 42 Voltage: 0.93 adjusting according freq.

in 700 " temps : 34 / 49 Voltage : 1.23 stable

in 486 P-States are never generated during boot and seems to work like in Windows7 at correct speeds. Whilst in 700 speeds at load seem to vary.

My system : X58 Intel I7 920....

Best Regards,

Rupke..

P-States generation code is from trunk (I've only merged the changes), although this isn't the place for it, take a look at your Boot.plist.

It works bad for me, because I don't get the correct info for my mem speed (same as the other versions), so this version, like the previous one, doesn't change anything from my point of view, is exactly the same as the very first one (without the need to specify the framebuffer, but that's all).

More info of the mem speed problem in my signature.

Hope Kabyl could take a look.

Cheers.

Post your ioreg dump.

Hey Kabyl,

I've just checked R700. About "get_romrevision_val":

If you intent to display rom revision in system profiler then you must use "ATY,Rom#" and not "ATY,Card#". From what i could see the function return hex string, this should be converted to ascii string. Also i'm not sure the "OFFSET_TO_GET_ATOMBIOS_STRINGS_START" is correct since the string may start in different offset according to the card. (ie: my string start at 0xA8)

I've tried to fix it, with no luck for the moment.... i'm feeling a bit lost in this new code syntax :)

Cheers.