ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

I have a Gigabyte HD Radeon 5830 card working with your boot file

UPDATE: After a little more testing I found that ZONALIS works much better than FLICKER (all ports working and multimonitor support verified) with and without the ROM file. Zonalis correctly allows DVI port 2 as well as HDMI (I am unable to test DisplayPort but I bet it works too). DVI port 1 also works.

I didn't try dvi1 and dvi2 together but I have a feeling they would work as well. As I stated, multimonitor support works and you can mirror displays from HDMI and DVI port 2 as well as span.

If you have a 5830 Card try Zonalis!! (if you have any issues with Zonalis try Flicker on HDMI with dvi2 dongle/connected)...

Hope this helps!!!

Awesome work!

Zonalis is for the eyefinity6 edition.

Kabyl,

I second ed_co's offer to help you in testing but also if there is a way to support your work with a donation please let us know.

I have now two systems working flawlessly with your boot loader.

One is described in my signature and the other one I just built for my daughters (GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2, i7 920, 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz, XFX HD577XZMF3 Radeon HD 5770, 2 OCZ Vertex 120GB in RAID 0). All the video outputs work perfectly - tested with one and two monitors (Apple Cinema Display and Samsung Syncmaster). Installation using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and your boot loader was almost boring - everything worked in less than 6 hours (HW assembling included).

One final note that might be worthwhile mentioning: I tested this new configuration using Cinebench in both Windows 7 and Mac OSX 10.6.5 environment (dual boot configuration). The same results like in the 5870 case, OpenGL test of the same 5770 card is SIGNIFICANTLY better in Win 7 case. 59,6 fps versus 23.6 fps in Mac OSX?!!! There seems to be a systematic issue with either Mac OSX OpenGL implementation, ATI Mac OSX video drivers implementation, or possibly with Cinebench inconsistent behaviour in Win 7 and OSX environment.

Finally, a question to all: is there a primer somewhere how to compile code and build these modified components for Hackintosh. I have strong development background but no experience in developing for Mac OSX. I saw general Mac OSX development documentation but would prefer short specific description of the setup and commands to avoid reading nine hundred pages of general development training and avoid figuring out all the set-uo parameters on my own.

Thank you guys and all the best to all of you in the New Year.

Assuming you have Xcode installed; open a Terminal window and run these:

svn co http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/bracnhes/Kabyl Kameleon
cd Kameleon
make -s embedtheme

You'll find the binaries under ~/Kameleon/sym/i386.

I have an update on this and some workarounds....

Card: XFX ATI 5870 1GB

Frame Buffer: Uakari

Monitor Resolution: 2560x1600

Problem#1: Display remains blank after computer wakes up from sleep

Solution: Set BIOS setting "Repost video on S3 resume" to DISABLE

The problem here was this BIOS setting. After I set it to DISABLE, everything is working fine. Both DVI and DisplayPort work fine, did not test HDMI.

Problem#2: Display remains blank after a fresh boot

Workaround#1: If using the DVI-1 or DVI-2 port, just unplug and replug the cable. Video will come up. I have not found any other fix.

Workaround#2: Use the DisplayPort and set Graphics Mode=1920x1200x32 in your com.Apple.boot.plist. With this workaround, when the computer boots, it will go into 1920x1200, but when the display comes up in OSX, it will renegotiate it's native 2560x1600 mode and the display will work without a need to unplug and replug the cable.

Thanks for sharing that!

Hi guys... season's greetings for anyone :)

Kabyl, leaving my feedback, even though i don't meet the hardware requirements for testing the patch.

I know that GraphicsEnabler is not supposed to support old Radeons like X1000 series, but the truth is that it does the injection on my card pretty fine on Snow; all i need to do is patch the required kexts, ATI1300Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kext (for more info on the card, just follow the link on my sig).

Here is the related bdmesg i usually get from GraphicsEnabler:

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1
ATI VGA Controller [1002:7181] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
old pci command - 7
boot display - 1
dumping pci config space, 256 bytes
Not going to use bios image file
Found bios image
Adding binimage to card 7181 from legacy space with size f200

The framebuffer used is the default for unknown cards (Megalodon) which works pretty fine. Before i tried GraphicsEnabler on Snow i would use DSDT to inject, but that broke around 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 (some property that i'm missing, i guess). On Leo i still use DSDT and Caretta framebuffer which is the only acceptable choice.

This injection works so fine for me, that i completely stopped using or looking for other injection methods so, you see why i'm posting.

I just came from testing your branch (rev 679) to confirm the symptoms, which are:

the booter hangs right after the PCI-Root-UID message with this one,

ATI card non-POSTed, reading VBIOS from PCI ROM @0xfddc0000

stays there for a sec or two, draws some garbage, clears the screen and then completely hangs with background still drawn.

Will try to gather more info; meanwhile if you need any of the usual just say so.

See ya later...

If all you need are a few plist edits (I would prefer a plist-only kext in this case) then try to edit the code and set card->posted to true.. see what happens.

Kabyl,

The boot file produced when compiling from your source branch at http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/ does not match the boot file you posted here. What are the differences between the versions?

I tried to compare and I, indeed, found a difference, though, I can't recall compiling the binary from a different source.

If all you need are a few plist edits (I would prefer a plist-only kext in this case) then try to edit the code and set card->posted to true.. see what happens.

Already been there :( does the same thing.

I do need to hex edit ATIRadeonX1000, besides the plist's edit, replacing dev id 7187 by mine.

Hi Kabyl,

I've put my second 5870 back in for Crossfire in Windows and I'm looking for a way to disable the second GPU so Snow Leo will work properly. Editing the X3000.kext with an IOPCIClassMatch doesn't work like it does for the 5970. Is there any other way to disable it with your bootloader?

Thanks.

My new 1GB Sapphire 5870 works beautifully!

Unfortunately, I can't get any video through the DisplayPort, though this is likely an issue with the card or the adapter I am using, as there is no video output during boot or in Windows either. I'm using a 24" Apple LED Cinema Display with a StarTech DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter. I know this is slightly off-topic, but if anyone has a similar card/setup, have they been able to get this configuration working?

EDIT: Some research is showing that a lot of 58xx and 59xx cards have issues with DisplayPort. Still, if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. :glare:

I haven't done this in a very, very long time. It must have been at least 2 or 3 years, so I would like to ask you for some help!!

What hackintosh release do I need to install and where should I obtain it from?

Also if you don't mind, could you post some installation instructions on how to install it. Thanks.

I really want to get Mac on my computer, I was gonna try it out about a year ago but I found out there was no support for the HD 5### series so I didn't bother. But now after reading this I am seeing hope :(

These are my system specs:

AMD Phenom II X2 550

4GB DDR2

XFX HD 5770 XXX Edition 1GB

1TB Sata II Hard Drive

Windows 7 64-bit

Sorry If I sound nubbish, I just don't wanna mess up my computer haha.

Hi Kabyl,

Thank you for you hard work and time. I have successfully installed a ATI HD 5850 (XFX BLACK EDITION) dev 6899.

Right now i have a samsung T240 (DVI) and Samsung BX2450 (HDMI) both working.

Have not tested 1) sleep 2) mirroring 3) 64 bit.

Let you know of my results once I get a chance to test.

my opengl viewer scores are roughly 2000 FPS on all tests. Is this normal ?

Cheers,

PS I have a Q9950 with 8GB of Hyper X 1066 Ram installed.

Kabyl,

The boot file produced when compiling from your source branch at http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/ does not match the boot file you posted here. What are the differences between the versions?

Hi MacMan,

The version you have included with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] seems to give me problems. I used the boot file from this forum and gave up on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Hi Kabyl, first thanks a lot for all what you've done...

Just a proposition, to enable directly the support of Apple Genuine 5770 without using AtiConfig in boot.plist, could you add tihs to your code ?

Index: /Volumes/Photos/nihil/Chameleon/Kabyl/i386/libsaio/ati.c
===================================================================
--- /Volumes/Photos/nihil/Chameleon/Kabyl/i386/libsaio/ati.c	(revision 698)
+++ /Volumes/Photos/nihil/Chameleon/Kabyl/i386/libsaio/ati.c	(working copy)
@@ -360,6 +360,7 @@
	{ 0x68B8,	0x29911682,	CHIP_FAMILY_JUNIPER,	"ATI Radeon HD 5770",	kVervet		},
	{ 0x68B8,	0x200B1787,	CHIP_FAMILY_JUNIPER,	"ATI Radeon HD 5770",	kVervet		},
	{ 0x68B8,	0x22881787,	CHIP_FAMILY_JUNIPER,	"ATI Radeon HD 5770",	kVervet		},
+	{ 0x68B8,	0x00CF106B,	CHIP_FAMILY_JUNIPER,	"ATI Radeon HD 5770",	kHoolock	},

{ 0x68D8,	0x301117AF,	CHIP_FAMILY_REDWOOD,	"ATI Radeon HD 5690",	kNull		},
	{ 0x68D8,	0x301017AF,	CHIP_FAMILY_REDWOOD,	"ATI Radeon HD 5730",	kNull		},

I've tested it and it works fine (in fact it's just the proper subsys-id and the injection of the proper framebuffer)

Thanks

Diff_HEAD_vs._Local_____ati.c.zip

Been following instructions from a different thread with a "kabyl boot" file and been trying the first few framebuffers/config with AtiFb, only to have found the latest boot file needs a different flag and different rom naming convention.

I apologize for the beginner's question, but may I know where to lookup the "subsys id" from?

bootup shows a SSID value of 2542, but its only 4 digits and I just want to be sure before I start all the 30 different config again.

Tried

sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem.

but Terminal returned a "command not found"

Appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Windows CCC tells me the following:

Primary adapter

Subsystem ID: 2542

Subsystem Vendor ID: 1002

Linked adapter

Subsystem ID: 2042

Subsystem Vendor ID: 1002

taking a stab at it, would it be correct to name the rom 1002_689c_25421002.rom?

Thanks again

Unfortunately, I can't get any video through the DisplayPort, though this is likely an issue with the card or the adapter I am using, as there is no video output during boot or in Windows either. I'm using a 24" Apple LED Cinema Display with a StarTech DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter. I know this is slightly off-topic, but if anyone has a similar card/setup, have they been able to get this configuration working?

EDIT: Some research is showing that a lot of 58xx and 59xx cards have issues with DisplayPort. Still, if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. :D

I had some ten days and nights of nightmares trying to get Saphire 5870 (6 MDP edition) work in OSx86. Eventually, I got one (third or fourth) MDP working alone. As soon as I would connect anything to any other MDP, even the monitor that had worked properly would start failing as the card was offering resolutions not appropriate for the monitor. No configuration would get ACD 27" working. The card was, however, working perfectly under Windows 7 with both Samsung P2307 and Apple Cinema Display 27".

After trying every method I could find on this site and on tonymacx86 without success, I returned the card and ordered genuine Apple 5870 which works perfectly (thanks to Trauma's help). Later I installed XFX 5770 too, in no time and it works great with one or two monitors.

I was looking at the DP to MDP cable solution and bought the same one you have. I have never tried if it works since I found on Internet reports people having problems. Then I bought two video cards both with MDP. But I also found on Internet statements claiming that the only difference between MDP and DP is the shape and size of the connectors and that it should work.

I hope this might help you connect some dots and move you closer to the solution.

Just want to say that i and a few other 5770/5750 User have a Black Screen Problem with the latest Version of the Booter. The screen goes Black without a Reason in Snow Leopard. Sometimes after a few Minutes and sometimes after a few hours.

I had this a few Times a Day so i went back to the old/other Version

On a Powercolor 5750 passiv@ 10.6.5 and x64.

I had this Black Screen Problem sometimes with the older Version too, but it was obvious that the new Version was causing this heavy Problem here. At the Moment i use the 1st Mod Boot File from the other Thread here with AtiRom=yes, no Black Screens so far.

Same Problem :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...;p=65954#p65954

EDIT: Some research is showing that a lot of 58xx and 59xx cards have issues with DisplayPort. Still, if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. :)

I have the Sapphire HD 5870 1GB OC. For DisplayPort, I have a 27" iMac which I use in target display mode and it works correctly in both Windows and OSX. The other ports work as expected. There is one condition that does not work; using a DisplayPort to HDMI connector, my system hangs before the desktop appears. I use the early the Kabyl booter and Uakari is automatically selected with 10.6.4 and, now, 10.6.5.

Hi Kabyl.

I am not a expert but I was testing following yours instruction and it work for me.

1º I saved a rom of Ati in windows.

2º I renamed the rom following your instructions.

3º I installed the lastest release 10.6.5 in iatkos s3.

4º I installed the lastest chamaleon release

5º I put the rom in /Extra

6º I replace the boot file in / and follow yours intruction.

Now I get the ati 5870 1GB working with Uakai but have a small issue. I don't know if it have relationship but the mouse does't work soft. I was trying with a logitech and ozone mouse.

Do you have news about the issue with the mouse? Both mouse are plugin by usb ports.

Motherboard: Asus P5k Premium wifi

Processor: Intel Core 2 duo E8400

RAM: 4GB DDR2 1000

Ethernet card: Marvell yukon; Realtek

Graphic card: Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 5870 1Gb

SO: Snow Leopard 10.6.5 Retail

Hi Folks,

Still I've got performance drops with newer Kabyl files related to rev.468..

I'll include older boot (faster one)

Can someone share some experience with me on this??

THX!!

Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file

Help??

Now I get the ati 5870 1GB working with Uakai but have a small issue. I don't know if it have relationship but the mouse does't work soft. I was trying with a logitech and ozone mouse.

I was woundering, i have the same issue with my GTX460 card and the latest fabio-boot. Also the VLC-playback is stuttering.

With kabyls boot and my 5850 the system works (and mouse) fine.

I was woundering, i have the same issue with my GTX460 card and the latest fabio-boot. Also the VLC-playback is stuttering.

With kabyls boot and my 5850 the system works (and mouse) fine.

Are you guys using Generate C and P states with chameleon?

Hello i have installed 10.6.3 Snow, I can not find the file sleepenabler.kext tomust be deleted after installing the update 10.6.5 kext and 4800 ( http://netkas.org/?p=564 ).

on restart I get this screen

How to fix?

thanks

Sorry - but what does sleepenabler have to do with testing ATI 5xxx and 4xxx??

Please post this question in a relevant topic.

D