Install problems on AMD Athlon II X4 processor

Paphlagon

2 posts in this topic

Hello, I am looking for some help. I don't know where to start with the troubleshooting, so let me explain what I have for hardware and where I've gotten so far.

Hardware;

ASUS M4A785TD-M Evo motherboard

AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz processor

(4) ADATA DDR3 1600 2GB sticks for a total of 8GB ram

PNY GeForce GT240 1024MB DDR3 graphics adaptor

various SATA hard drives

System bios changed from IDE to AHCI

I have read many tutorials, but ended up trying to follow this excellent one, Install Snow Leopard on AMD PC, Laptop by Taranfx as it is specifically written for AMD processors.

I have an iMac running 10.6.4 and an 8GB Staples memory stick to use.

I have an extra legal Snow Leopard install DVD. I see people reference build numbers, but I am not aware how to determine which I have. The DVD itself is marked with "Install DVD", "Version 2.6" and "2Z691-6558-A".

I followed the Install Snow Leopard on AMD PC, Laptop tutorial until I hit my first snag at step 6, "Run Chameleon RC2 and select the new drive...". I ran the Chameleon RC2 package included in the Hardknox zip file as indicated. The installation ran all the way to the end and gave me an, 'Installation Failed' message. I then downloaded the Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684 binary files and tried the manual install per the README file under the 'Normal Install (Non-RAID)' section. I believe this was successful, but don't know how to verify.

I believe the installed would have moved some extensions from the Chameleon 2.0-RC4, 'Extensions' directory to the /Volumes/Snowfx/Extra/Extensions directory, but the normal install I performed did not do this. I did not delete the Disabler.kext file from the /Extra/Extensions directory since it did not exist there. Again, possibly because of the manual installation that I perfomed missing some operations.So, on a guess, I copied the files from the 10.6 and common directories over to the /Snowfx/Extra/Extensions directory.

In step 9, I did not have to delete the old “Extensions.mkext” file because it did not exist in my case.

In step 11, I copied the “com.apple.boot.plist" from my iMac because I could not find the file on the USB stick/Snowfx volume.

When complete, I tried to boot and when running a normal boot, it shows me the Chameleon graphic and then eventually does a kernel panic. I did the same with a verbose boot and the same eventual error was noted. I have attached a screenshot of the error messages displayed when the panic occurred.

So, I am basically looking for some assistance to determine what I am missing, doing wrong, etc... so I can begin the troubleshooting process. I know this will eventually work, it is just a learning process.

Thank you in advance.

- P

post-665550-1284229461_thumb.jpg