How to edit/copy id=af partitions using windows

8 posts in this topic

OK, I've been having issues accessing my os x installation, but I'm pretty sure it's becasue it's installed on an external usb drive. I couldn't install it on my actual hard drive due to the installer not being able to find my sata drives.

Anyways I made the space for it on my hard drive with windows like the dual boot guide says, so I'd like to know how I can resize the partition on the usb drive to the same size and just copy it over to my main hard drive to see if chain() will be able to find it (as of now I edited the boot.ini with the chain() method, and if I try to boot to os x normally I get 'can't find hal.dll', or if I hit F8 immediately after selecting, the computer just reboots for no reason)

partition magic is sadly useless for this, are there any other window programs that can do it? I wouldn't mind booting knoppix to do it either if there's something better in linux.

wow quick reply! Here's my boot.ini:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

C:\chain()="OS X"

haha so it is. lol I prolly never would have figured that out myself, every time I've seen anyone mention chain0 I thought it was chain() >_<

I'll try fixing that and see if it works.

Oh, and yes I did name the partition "OS X"

EDIT: OK, well now i'm getting the 'chain booting error', which I'm guessing goes back to the fact that I'm trying to boot from an external usb drive. I'll try grub out to see if I have any more luck.

hm I really don't think I'm going to be able to boot into this usb drive. Is there any program I can use to move these partitions??

I tried fdisk in knoppix and it dosn't have the slightest clue how to read the mac partitions.

EDIT: OK, well believe it or not I'm writing this from osx86 now. I was starting to wonder if it would ever happen. I finally went into the os x installer again and used disk utility to partition the external drive so I had one partition the same size as the amount of space I freed up on my main drive. The I installed os x again (for the 3rd time). Then after booting up I used acronis to copy the installation over. The only problem is it copied it over as logical, so I can't boot directly from os x, but chain0 worked to get me in, so I can use boot.ini.

Thanks for the help guys! Now to find callisto...

• 3 months later...
Rammjet, is that drive name thing actually true. Coz for me I name my drive Bigmac and in qoutes Mac OSX Tiger

I don't think so. I believe the name in quotes is what appears in the Windows bootloader, but I'm not sure. Never used the Windows bootloader and chain0.