What do I give up going to OS X from win 7

doclees

12 posts in this topic

So just learning that you can make OS X.xxxx run on an xx86. You might just have said Iran apologized to Israel. I have been using MS products for 27 years and can say I miss MS dos. I am tired of having to buy other software to make my Windows run correctly..sometimes. But as nice as Mac hardware is it, it must be made of gold for the cost and has about a 5 year built in obsoleteness. I can upgrade or piece a PC together for so little. So if I can get a stable OS on an upgradeable and cheap piece of hardware I would give it a try. But what do I lose. Can I run something to emulate win 7 in x.6.3 so I can run some programs made for Windows?

Thanks

So just learning that you can make OS X.xxxx run on an xx86. You might just have said Iran apologized to Israel. I have been using MS products for 27 years and can say I miss MS dos. I am tired of having to buy other software to make my Windows run correctly..sometimes. But as nice as Mac hardware is it, it must be made of gold for the cost and has about a 5 year built in obsoleteness. I can upgrade or piece a PC together for so little. So if I can get a stable OS on an upgradeable and cheap piece of hardware I would give it a try. But what do I lose. Can I run something to emulate win 7 in x.6.3 so I can run some programs made for Windows?

Thanks

From mac OSX you can emulate Windows 7 with: Paralles Desktop, Vmware fusion, VirtualBOX.

You can run some windows applications with: Crossover for Mac OSX anf Wine for mac osx.

So does win 7 run stable within OS X or will it lock just as normal?

Is an hardware problem: if you have a recent, powerfull hardware with a compatible Graphic card and a CPU that support Intel Virtualization Technology and an amount of RAM of 4GB (minimum) win 7 virtualized works fast and stable (but not better that in a x86 system)

Thanks

I have been using Windows ever since Windows 3.1, the only real problems I had

were with Windows 95 and ME, everything else worked just fine all the way threw

to Windows 7, BTW I skipped Vista, I just kept using XP LOL, the problems I did

have were

(1) Viruses / Malware / Spyware

(2) Hardware (Bad Hardware)

I was getting an infection about once every 2 years on average, but I am a heavy

downloader, so a lot of the time the infections were my fault

I went to Hackintosh because its less prone to infection :)

What I miss about Windows is :

(1) File Manager, and nothing comes close to the Windows File Manager on the Mac

(2) Windows Media Center,

(3) Lots of good Freeware, of that an equivalent can not be found for OS X, there

is Freeware for OS X, just nothing I want except a few media players :)

(4) Games, there are options but none of them 100% for OS X

I run OS X as my main OS and Windows XP under Parallels v5, I tried Windows 7,

but it ran slower than XP under Parallels v5, and the Windows 7 Media Center, was

useless when under Parallels v5 so I just stuck with Windows XP, Windows XP feels

like its running full speed 98% of the time with only an occasional slowdown BTW I

have a Pentium Dual-Core 2.8GHz, 4GB Memory, Nvidia GTS250 Video Card

@the OP. I'm not sure of your logic here. You mention stability but you are contemplating moving to an OS where the device drivers are HACKS made by people at home. In the RC for Windows 7, MS apparently analysed over 1 billion user sessions through telemetry – and I presume they continue to receive telemetry about stability issues – which is why most people would say Windows 7 is (and will continue to be) pretty stable.

You also mention Mac hardware as being “nice”. Do you mean the colour and style of the keyboard, mouse and monitor bezel? Because you obviously know now that internally the hardware (CPU, MB, VGA etc) is the same (so therefore PC hardware is "nice" too?).

So “what will you lose”? If you’re a die hard MS user as you implied (I am also in this category) then you will be spending all your time looking for Mac versions of everything you have already – Word for Mac, MSN for Mac, VLC for Mac etc. etc. in which case why bother moving to Mac?

The GUI? I’d like to do a “blind” test to see which is better - Windows 7 vs OSX. I thought grey went out back in the 90’s.

I was never going to “convert” to Mac. I just wanted to know what was possible and perhaps, like you, what I was missing out on. The good thing is, it costs nothing at all to try. If you have a dual boot (2 separate HD's even better) then you can try it out and make up your own mind.

I have been using Windows ever since Windows 3.1, the only real problems I had

were with Windows 95 and ME, everything else worked just fine all the way threw

to Windows 7, BTW I skipped Vista, I just kept using XP LOL, the problems I did

have were

(1) Viruses / Malware / Spyware

(2) Hardware (Bad Hardware)

I was getting an infection about once every 2 years on average, but I am a heavy

downloader, so a lot of the time the infections were my fault

I went to Hackintosh because its less prone to infection :(

What I miss about Windows is :

(1) File Manager, and nothing comes close to the Windows File Manager on the Mac

(2) Windows Media Center,

(3) Lots of good Freeware, of that an equivalent can not be found for OS X, there

is Freeware for OS X, just nothing I want except a few media players :(

(4) Games, there are options but none of them 100% for OS X

I run OS X as my main OS and Windows XP under Parallels v5, I tried Windows 7,

but it ran slower than XP under Parallels v5, and the Windows 7 Media Center, was

useless when under Parallels v5 so I just stuck with Windows XP, Windows XP feels

like its running full speed 98% of the time with only an occasional slowdown BTW I

have a Pentium Dual-Core 2.8GHz, 4GB Memory, Nvidia GTS250 Video Card

I have been using windows since 1.0 ;)

@the OP. I'm not sure of your logic here. You mention stability but you are contemplating moving to an OS where the device drivers are HACKS made by people at home. In the RC for Windows 7, MS apparently analysed over 1 billion user sessions through telemetry – and I presume they continue to receive telemetry about stability issues – which is why most people would say Windows 7 is (and will continue to be) pretty stable.

*** anyone ever have MS send you a fix after your PC sends them notification of a problem??***

You also mention Mac hardware as being “nice”. Do you mean the colour and style of the keyboard, mouse and monitor bezel? Because you obviously know now that internally the hardware (CPU, MB, VGA etc) is the same (so therefore PC hardware is "nice" too?).

*** build like a tank. High quality control. I was given an iMac 5? all in one with Snow Leopard X.6 installed. I traded in for some parts and Windows 7. At the time I didn't want to relearn a new OS. Had heard you could run Windows on some Macs. Not this one. ****

So “what will you lose”? If you’re a die hard MS user as you implied (I am also in this category) then you will be spending all your time looking for Mac versions of everything you have already – Word for Mac, MSN for Mac, VLC for Mac etc. etc. in which case why bother moving to Mac?

*** I surf the net, word process, minor photo editing and printing, some minor spreadsheet style data tracking, and have some billing software written for windows. That is about it. Oh and the virus checkers, spyware checkers and registry cleaners.....that's because I run Windows. ****

The GUI? I’d like to do a “blind” test to see which is better - Windows 7 vs OSX. I thought grey went out back in the 90’s.

*** Don't remember**

I was never going to “convert” to Mac. I just wanted to know what was possible and perhaps, like you, what I was missing out on. The good thing is, it costs nothing at all to try. If you have a dual boot (2 separate HD's even better) then you can try it out and make up your own mind.

** Don't you need to buy the OS? I have seen X.6 for about $35. ***

Thanks

*** anyone ever have MS send you a fix after your PC sends them notification of a problem??***
Do you expect more from Apple running a hacked OS against their license conditions? And are you really experiencing these problems now that you are on Windows 7? Or are you referring to past Windows which we all agree is less than perfect?
Had heard you could run Windows on some Macs. Not this one. ****
Did you look into boot camp? Sets up Windows to run natively on a second partition on your Mac - similar to what you'd be doing with a hackintosh except you'd have legit iMac. Also VM solutions proposed by others already if you need to run both concurrently.

If you want some experience with virtual machines try Virtualbox on your PC. It's free (open source) and extremely easy to use. You can install Win7 guest on a Win7 host to see if all your programs will work. Then you can try OSX guest but remember that the virtual drivers are emulating Mac hardware so don't expect it to work when you install OSX for real on PC.

*** I surf the net, word process, minor photo editing and printing, some minor spreadsheet style data tracking, and have some billing software written for windows. That is about it. Oh and the virus checkers, spyware checkers and registry cleaners.....that's because I run Windows. ****
I think you're taking a big risk if you intend the hackintosh to be your "production" machine. You have seen all the disclaimers that this is all very experimental? It always has been and always will be.
** Don't you need to buy the OS? I have seen X.6 for about $35. ***
Yes and at that price, it's very reasonable, although you still would be breaking the license agreement when you install on a PC. For testing there are "dristos" that are pre-hacked to allow install on PC. iATKOS is a popular one.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221045

Do you expect more from Apple running a hacked OS against their license conditions? And are you really experiencing these problems now that you are on Windows 7? Or are you referring to past Windows which we all agree is less than perfect?

***Yes. Windows XP with all the service pack, aka patches and fixes, was the most stable OS I have run. Got used to the quirks. As long as I would run defrag and reg mechanic 2x week things would rarely not work or lock. But remember "windows 7 - it just works". I believe it does out of the box and with no other software loaded, other than MS brand software, and no internet connection.

Did you look into boot camp? Sets up Windows to run natively on a second partition on your Mac - similar to what you'd be doing with a hackintosh except you'd have legit iMac. Also VM solutions proposed by others already if you need to run both concurrently.

*** Non intel chip set. Wasn't going to happen. Checked and they said no way. ***

If you want some experience with virtual machines try Virtualbox on your PC. It's free (open source) and extremely easy to use. You can install Win7 guest on a Win7 host to see if all your programs will work. Then you can try OSX guest but remember that the virtual drivers are emulating Mac hardware so don't expect it to work when you install OSX for real on PC.

***OK slow down I'm not that savvy. Run Virtualbox on PC and run Win7 inside a Win7 host?****

I think you're taking a big risk if you intend the hackintosh to be your "production" machine. You have seen all the disclaimers that this is all very experimental? It always has been and always will be.

*** I take a risk everytime I start Windows. What's the difference? ***

Yes and at that price, it's very reasonable, although you still would be breaking the license agreement when you install on a PC. For testing there are "dristos" that are pre-hacked to allow install on PC. iATKOS is a popular one.

* ** a place to start. Thanks***

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221045

*** Non intel chip set. Wasn't going to happen. Checked and they said no way. ***
This seems to go against all the literature in the net. Win7 should install no problem. One issue I expect with XP is that it needs IDE mode to install. The Mac bios / firmware may need to be set accordingly.

***OK slow down I'm not that savvy. Run Virtualbox on PC and run Win7 inside a Win7 host?****
Yes. Your Win7 machine is the host and you run guest virtual machines on it - even multiple VM's at once if you've got enough ram. Lifehacker has a guide for setting up a OSX guest using Virtualbox using a distro from Hazard.