Video Cameras/iMovie

Shaunyboy

6 posts in this topic

I have a Panasonic NV-GS15 Video Camera.

When plugged into my computer, iMovie does not recognise it, and says that there is no camera connected.

However, iPhoto opens up, and displays the photos on an SD-card that my video camera also has.

I was wondering if this problem is because there is currently no drivers for video cameras in Darwin, or because of some other stupid mistake I may have made.

Is there any drivers currently in development for video cameras in OSx86? Does anyone know any details about this problem?

Thanks,

Shaun

I could be wrong, but Panasonic doesn't appear to make a NV-GS15. Did you mean the NV-GS150? If so, it sounds like you're connecting the camera with the USB cable. The last time I checked, iMovie only supported DV/Firewire connections. Try connecting the camera with a Firewire cable.

HTH,

Reid

Definately says NV-GS15 on the side :P

And yeah, I was trying to connect using USB. I don't actually have a firewire cable or port either, so I'll have to borrow the cable and a friends computer ;)

Thanks for the help, hopefully it should work with firewire.

Just another question, is USB support for video cameras being planned for Darwin, or is Apple going firewire all the way?

I tried using iMovie 5.02 with my Canon Optura PI camcorder over the weekend. IMovie starts up fine and even detects the camera over firewire, but then clicking Import or Play instantly kernel panics the computer.

I'd be interested to hear if you have success!

From what I understand this is because firewire is not supported well, if at all, for applications which need to run through rosetta. I have observed this issue myself with various vidcam applications, although I havent tried it with the isight camera

Apparently there is a new build of the software for the developers kit (10.4.2) which amongst its fixes specifically addresses this issue.

I tried an iSight, with a powered pcmcia firewire card over the weekend. It got power (the light came on, and a short buzz for the servo), but was not detected in any app (even running them under rosetta).

I also tried to kextload the iSight kext, which worked fine, but still no joy on getting it recognised be any app.

I'm guessing it's the poor firewire support in this build.

btw iSight was picked up and worked well as a camera in XP, just no sound.