Confused about tutorials

LuckyMethod

6 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I noticed how easy is to find step by step tutorials for a given combination of hardware, but how hard is to find a tutorial to learn more about what's necessary in order to build a working Hackintosh computer, and how to evaluate what's best with a combination of hardware that is not already available in guide form.

I understand you need a copy of Snow Leopard, a way to make it boot on a PC, drivers etc...

The problem is that it's hard to figure out what is best, there's Chameleon and PC EFI and they don't seem to be compatible etc...

In one word, how do I get started?

My configuration is:

EP43-DS3L

Intel Q6600

HIS ATI HD5770

SATA HD and DVD

Any insight?

The best thing to begin with, is the motherboard. Find the guide that is, as close to the MB you have, as possible. If you can't find something similar, try looking by chipset or CPU model. Sure it will not necessary be the guide to follow "by the letter", but it might help to get the general idea how the things are done.

Reed not only one but as many, as you could find. It may help you to get the idea quickly. Just google ;)

The best thing to begin with, is the motherboard. Find the guide that is, as close to the MB you have, as possible. If you can't find something similar, try looking by chipset or CPU model. Sure it will not necessary be the guide to follow "by the letter", but it might help to get the general idea how the things are done.

Reed not only one but as many, as you could find. It may help you to get the idea quickly. Just google ;)

Yeah, I'm doing this already, is working but I feel I'm spending a lot of time trying to parse jargon without really understanding it because I don't have a good foundation.

Question: do you have a link to a thorough explanation of Chameleon? It's my impression so far that it's my best bet to boot an OSX system that will keep updating itself without too many problems, but I might be wrong.

Question: do you have a link to a thorough explanation of Chameleon? It's my impression so far that it's my best bet to boot an OSX system that will keep updating itself without too many problems, but I might be wrong.

I don't... Google ;) What exactly you are confused about?

It might be not the only choice, but certainly one of the best available. Depending on your set-up, it may be must-have.

I don't... Google ;) What exactly you are confused about?

It might be not the only choice, but certainly one of the best available. Depending on your set-up, it may be must-have.

Well, as I said, I'm confused on what I'm supposed to use.

Should I use PC EFI, Chameleon or try flashing my bios with one made by Cartri?

I tried to contact Cartri to become alpha tester of his bios for my motherboard, but his forum is horribly hard to use, although this doesn't mean I don't appreciate his contribution to the community, I just find the forum hard to parse. Also, it's pretty impossible to find contact info to get in touch with him.

...Should I use PC EFI, Chameleon or try flashing my bios with one made by Cartri?...

Use Chameleon, as it is very popular and well explored (so you could find help just in case). There are many subversions of it (you may compile your one if you feel adventures :) ), for now I'd recommend the original version (RC4).

I would not recommend flashing BIOS, as there is always some risk involved. Using properly configured DSDT.aml in /Extra folder should work well. Also it is much easier to experiment with different DSDT versions without patching the BIOS.