• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

cactusjack901

cactusjack901

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Alright, so, I installed using the tutorial from maceee.blogspot.com, and got everything working to my liking. Then, I installed Netbook-Installer and went to update. Well, sometime between when the update started, and finished, the power cord must've fallen on (probably when I moved my computer, or rather turned it, the cables behind my nighttable (A.K.A. Desk) are a right mess. Sometime during the reboot, the battery died, and I have been unable to do anything to re-install since. I made a backup of the partition on my HDD that the OS X install disc was installed to (with the Myhack Installer and everything on it), so I wiped the external HDD, and restored that disc image which I had backed up. After that, I used MyHackInstaller to install Chameleon to the external HDD, but that only yielded DEADBEEF errors. So I tried Boot Think, and that keeps getting Kernel Panics every time I try to boot the install disc partition. Does anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: upon further inspection, it would appear that it tries to boot from the internal HDD no matter what I do

EDIT: even if I disable the internal HDD from the BIOS, it still tries to start from it, thereby panicking. I'm in SERIOUS need of help right now

EDIT: It would seem a Kubuntu disc was able to solve the problem, I'm about to try a new OS X install from a fresh disc image and see what happens

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'd recommend following the guides here, I have found them much more useful than most from elsewhere, where many people are still using ideneb, iatkos, kalyway etc to install, when its really not needed on our netbooks. I bet if someone went to the trouble, it would be found that these guides will also help those installing to desktop PCs as well.

Good that you discovered a linux install will sort out disk issues. I went down that path in a moment of desperation when I thought my HD was irretrievably b0rked. Even Windows wouldn't come to the party on that occasion.

cactusjack901

cactusjack901

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well, the problem still persists in one way. I'm too lazy to fix it since it only causes a minor inconvenience. When I reboot, if I keep my USB drive plugged in, I'll get a DEADBEEF error on boot. My guess is the bootloader on this, and the remnants of a bootloader on that, don't place nicely with each other, so I'm going to wipe the drive, use a MBR partition table, and use the DVD that came with my netbook, and figure out a way to write the Symantec Ghost image to the external harddrive, then install ubuntu to it, then restore my Time Machine partition, and my "hey, the internal doesn't have enough space for media" partition (A.K.A. what non-geeks use external harddrives for), and then I should be happy... Although, if I could do all that, and not have to use GRUB, or any bootloader for that matter, keeping Chameleon on the internal, I'd be happy... I'd also like to have one where most of the flags in my com.apple.boot.plist working (like the timeout, and themes where replacing boot.png works), but I guess being able to patch my Kernel for Atom support on the fly is a tad more important.

...Well that turned out longer than anticipated. I also finally got 10.6.4 running, and running well, but I've no idea how, and I doubt I could do it again

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
cactusjack901

I share your frustration. I had a 10.6.0 NBI install running well but had to re-partition to go for a Win7/OSX dualboot. I tried the maceee method several times but could only get a lock-up to a grey screen on first HDD boot.

I went back to NBI and got an install running first time and updated to 10.6.4 without too many hassles (NBI's automatic patching didn't seem to work for me but the recovery=y boot flag got me in to where I could restore my Extra/General Extensions kexts. That still left me with a KP but re-running NBI sorted that out and now I'm fully up-to-date. Woohoo, hackintoshing definitely ain't for the fainthearted!

On the plus side, I've learned a lot and would be confident I could get Snow running on most netbooks/laptops now, I've become reasonably proficient at reading and fixing DSDT files and (courtesy of a hacked Asus1005HA BIOS from mydigitallife.com - Big thanks due to NoJuan999) I now have a fully activated and validated Win7 ultimate install selectable from Chameleon. This was another learning experience on it's own but the end result has pleased the hell outa me!!

Only thing I still need to sort now is whether Speedstep is working. My fan seems to stay on constantly under Snow and my battery (set to percentage display) counts down 1 or 2% every 2-3 mins. so I'd say I'll get 2-2.5hrs max from it. How does that compare to your battery life?

Keep working with Snow. I really am impressed with it and don't see Win7 getting much use to be honest but my kids will need it occasionally for school work which uses some Windows only software.

baldrick45

cactusjack901

cactusjack901

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

cactusjack901

I share your frustration. I had a 10.6.0 NBI install running well but had to re-partition to go for a Win7/OSX dualboot. I tried the maceee method several times but could only get a lock-up to a grey screen on first HDD boot.

I went back to NBI and got an install running first time and updated to 10.6.4 without too many hassles (NBI's automatic patching didn't seem to work for me but the recovery=y boot flag got me in to where I could restore my Extra/General Extensions kexts. That still left me with a KP but re-running NBI sorted that out and now I'm fully up-to-date. Woohoo, hackintoshing definitely ain't for the fainthearted!

On the plus side, I've learned a lot and would be confident I could get Snow running on most netbooks/laptops now, I've become reasonably proficient at reading and fixing DSDT files and (courtesy of a hacked Asus1005HA BIOS from mydigitallife.com - Big thanks due to NoJuan999) I now have a fully activated and validated Win7 ultimate install selectable from Chameleon. This was another learning experience on it's own but the end result has pleased the hell outa me!!

Only thing I still need to sort now is whether Speedstep is working. My fan seems to stay on constantly under Snow and my battery (set to percentage display) counts down 1 or 2% every 2-3 mins. so I'd say I'll get 2-2.5hrs max from it. How does that compare to your battery life?

Keep working with Snow. I really am impressed with it and don't see Win7 getting much use to be honest but my kids will need it occasionally for school work which uses some Windows only software.

baldrick45

Well I just don't like NBI's Chameleon, every time I go to customize it, it tends to give me a KP. Luckily I've figured out how to restore my system to a working version of Chameleon-NBI with Single User mode. I'd be even happier if I managed to get the timeout working and theming, but such is life, I'm probably going to play with it some more in a little while.

I'm interested in this Hacked BIOS, What does it have to offer? Are there other hacked BIOS versions? Please point me in the right direction for that stuff

Also, I get the same battery life, such is the pain of having a 1005HA-B with the small capacity battery. I'm also interested in getting Windows XP up and running on my external, but booting via Chameleon (hence why I want the timeout to work), even though it would have use for one program, and one program alone, it'd also be my emergency backup OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy