Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

I did not stated, i asked if it was only the kernel ;)

I see... (Azi scratches the head...)... hum...

How about adding cpus=2 on SL's Boot.plist?? :P

Like I say, i don't have any cpus= in org.chameleon.Boot.plist for SL partition :D , but anyway I only get one core when booting SL ;) and it booting with kernel on lion partition when booting SL ;)

But I can try to add what you saying....

//Peter

Still only one core ;) when booting SL, see attached file..... so it's not reading the Extra folder for SL when booting SL.

EDIT

You can see it reads from both partition ;)

mach_kernel = Lion

Leagacy_kernel = SL

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS LION 150.0 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_HFS SNOW 150.0 GB disk1s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data WINDOWS 199.6 GB disk1s4

EDIT 2

Downgrade Cham to 1078, no it works :( see attached bdmesg_1078 !

//Peter

bdmesg.rtf

bdmesg_1078.rtf

Ok Peter, i surrender :D the cpus=2 was just a silly idea; i don't even know if the kernel accepts the value 2..?!

Let me scratch my head a bit more and get something to eat. Just a quick look at the bdmeg's and i see...

Module 'Symbols.dylib' by 'Chameleon' Loaded.
 Description: Chameleon symbols for linking
 Version: 0
 Compat:  0

... throw Symbols.dylib to the trash please.. not used.

bbib... nevermind... brain fart :P

p.s.: found the bug. Will check it out.

Azimutz, Symbols.dylib is embedded in the boot file, he can't throw it away.

Yep, brain fart... still not used to see Symbols.dylib being printed even though it's embedded.

Anyway, based on the bdmesg file, I can see the issue.

Yep again... i overseen the bt order when i added it. Still, i'm not a happy camper when it comes to file loading;

i didn't liked it before and like it even less now. As i told you, this was the main motive why i started to mess with

Chameleon's code. I will try to put on "paper", it's to complex to put on a irc talk; and i need time to get back to it,

so i can recall the "why's" and "why not's".

Edited by Azimutz

Still, i'm not a happy camper when it comes to file loading;

It's confusing for me because:

- if booting from usb or cd for install/recovery then I would expect it to read all from bt(0,0)/Extra

- if booting working installations then would expect to read from /Extra of the selected partition and not from bt(0,0)

But can not be both at the same time.

Anyway, there is Preboot.dmg and rd(0,0)/Extra that is used for install/recovery as far as I saw.

It's confusing for me because:

- if booting from usb or cd for install/recovery then I would expect it to read all from bt(0,0)/Extra

- if booting working installations then would expect to read from /Extra of the selected partition and not from bt(0,0)

Dmazar, that is part of the problem, specially the first point, but not only. It's not a matter that can be explained if half a dozen lines.

As i mention on the previous post, besides my natural curiosity about how things work and coding, this stuff was my main motivation for

starting messing with Chameleon code. I did solved all the problems i wanted to fix and did even more; it's all in my branch (Chazi).

Meanwhile i ended up distracted with so many stuff, that i don't even remember most of the stuff i've done.

For instance, i have this doc-azi folder on the branch that has "some literature"; i've been saing to Mek that i need to put this stuff on paper,

when in fact i have it all explained there and had forgotten :( i'm the first person that really needs to read that!

If someone gets curious, check the CHANGES.txt file... it can be confuse but it's all there.

It should be Boot0hfs the tare missing :( is it something that could be fixed :(

Peter, sorry for the delay; i was going to post the compiled booter when i saw your question about boot0hfs,

so i figured you managed to compile the booter... but then i had to leave in a hurry.

Check this post; if it doesn't clear the boot0hfs thing for you, i won't explain it anyway ;) kidding

Dmazar, that is part of the problem, specially the first point, but not only. It's not a matter that can be explained if half a dozen lines.

As i mention on the previous post, besides my natural curiosity about how things work and coding, this stuff was my main motivation for

starting messing with Chameleon code. I did solved all the problems i wanted to fix and did even more; it's all in my branch (Chazi).

Meanwhile i ended up distracted with so many stuff, that i don't even remember most of the stuff i've done.

For instance, i have this doc-azi folder on the branch that has "some literature"; i've been saing to Mek that i need to put this stuff on paper,

when in fact i have it all explained there and had forgotten :thanks_speechbubble: i'm the first person that really needs to read that!

If someone gets curious, check the CHANGES.txt file... it can be confuse but it's all there.

Thanks for these docs. It clearly shows how complicated this is.

I understand that people are using different configurations and may require many of these stuff (searching different devices/folders, config overrides ...). It would be good if that can be simplified.

I can not speak for other users, but for me it would be good if it would work something like this (simplified):

- by default read /Extra/* from ramdisk and then from selected volume

- but, if there is something like OverrideExtra=bt(0,0)/Extra or OverrideExtra=/ExtraTest present in default boot.plist or specified via boot prompt, then load all from ramdisk and then from that folder

- would consider using only one boot.plist for boot options (not merging with default one)

This would

- allow me to boot selected volume with values from that volume only (no hidden overrides)

- allow me to make boot and recovery usb/disk with OverrideExtra=bt(0,0)/Extra (no loading of files from /Extra from selected volume)

- allow me to test new kext with OverrideExtra=/ExtraTest on boot prompt for example

As far as I can see, this would be easy enough for me and allow me to do all I need. But again, can not speak for others.

how come after upgrading to the 1162 rev, it no longer injects my graphics card via EFI? And why doesn't it read the default partition flag in com.apple.boot.plist? Did they change something there? Cheers

how come after upgrading to the 1162 rev, it no longer injects my graphics card via EFI? And why doesn't it read the default partition flag in com.apple.boot.plist? Did they change something there? Cheers

Fix order that drives are scaned. Moved bt (bios boot device) to last

look at Chameleon Trunk ChangeLog!

CooSee ' Ya

Thanks for these docs. It clearly shows how complicated this is.

I understand that people are using different configurations and may require many of these stuff (searching different devices/folders, config overrides ...). It would be good if that can be simplified.

I can not speak for other users, but for me it would be good if it would work something like this (simplified):

- by default read /Extra/* from ramdisk and then from selected volume

- but, if there is something like OverrideExtra=bt(0,0)/Extra or OverrideExtra=/ExtraTest present in default boot.plist or specified via boot prompt, then load all from ramdisk and then from that folder

- would consider using only one boot.plist for boot options (not merging with default one)

This would

- allow me to boot selected volume with values from that volume only (no hidden overrides)

- allow me to make boot and recovery usb/disk with OverrideExtra=bt(0,0)/Extra (no loading of files from /Extra from selected volume)

- allow me to test new kext with OverrideExtra=/ExtraTest on boot prompt for example

As far as I can see, this would be easy enough for me and allow me to do all I need. But again, can not speak for others.

Good idea.

We want to have one bootable USB stick or DVD to boot a system from the same stick, from DVD, from HDD and we not sure where is the appropriate /Extra and native DSDT.

DL latest trunk (svn-r1162), compiled it, and it looks like this is fine now :P

Its boot and read from right partition ;)

But there is a error message "Invalid mach magic 0x2" , please have a look in attached file.....

But perhaps I did chose wrong settings when I compiled it, I saw there is no longer any version of Cham in the boot menu :)

//Peter

bdmesg_1062.txt

I have been using the Chameleon Wizard app to install Chameleon on my OS X partitions but, because it has been stuck at rev 10xx for some time I decided to try the manual install files from the first post.

I got the July 15 2011 Trunk 1162 files. I have three OS X partitions. My main system is on disk0s2 - 10.6.8, and disk0s5 is 10.7-GM with files transferred from the 10.6.8 system and disk0s6 is 10.7-GM with no files or settings transferred. All three had been running fine on the 10xx revision of chameleon.

First I did a manual install on the 10.6.8 system - changed /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist to org.chameleon.boot.plist - re-boot - everything is fine.

Next, I boot the 10.6.8 system and did a manual install on the two Lion partitions. Changed the respective Boot.plist names and tried to re-boot into the Lion partitions. both versions now give a KP which appears to point to the realteck8xxx kext.

Next step was to re-boot the 10.6.8 system and use the chameleon wizard to replace the boot and boot1h files on one of the Lion partitions. That partition now boots correctly.

If there is a later revision I should try that's fine. If posting a pic of the kernel panic screen would be useful I will do that.

Edit: I did more testing. I installed the boot file from rev 1162 and the Lion partitions would boot OK. Then I added back the boot1h file - still booted OK. Now I am totally confused. Then I noticed my multitouch trackpad was not on so I turned it on. The next boot got a KP. :)

I tried several times. Trackpad on = KP, off= no KP. I removed the moded BroadCom and CSR BlueTooth kext I had been experimenting with and the KP appears to have vanished. I am still confused because the Lion partitions had worked OK with those kext and the older version of Chameleon.

Edit-2: Well, the KP is back - not solid - a bit random. I will try to move back to an older version of Chameleon binaries to see what happens.

Just wanna report that Trunk 1162 produces random crashes on my Acer machine (see sig). It crashes sometimes at AppleCPUPowerManagement and sometimes on ATI5000Controller. This never happened with some older version of Chameleon. Of course I copied all settings from com.apple.boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

The version from before without crashes was created at 25.jun.11 and has 233664 bytes, was downloaded here.

Thanks for these docs. It clearly shows how complicated this is......

Dmazar, only now i associated you with the boot0md Dmazar ;) i have been so brain f..ked up, trying to catch up with work

and helping everyone, that i miss stuff i usually wouldn't.. sorry about that.

About the matter we were talking about, you're missing some "bits" like i was when i first started looking at Chameleon code;

but in the end, you're mentioning the exact same problems i had. I managed to fix all of them in my Chazi; there are just some

things i have to fix (i overseen some stuff and abused of bt(0,0) paths that are not needed) and other ideas to implement or finish.

Atm there's a problem with the boot prompt that makes the keys that use getValueForKey to not work on typed boot args, but

the keys work fine when read from Boot.plist and problem is going to be fixed soon.

These days i can completely trust that my rescue booters will work and do all the stuff you mention on your post... and more!

We can talk more about this some were else.

Have some nice vacations :rolleyes:

newb here, Sorry if this has been answered a million times, spent a couple of hours googling to no avail.

I've installed Lion GM with the help of Chameleon.

Everythings works ok after a bit of tinkering.

My Nvidia 7300GS card shows up as an unknown card until i put GraphicsEnable=Yes AND START IN SAFEMODE ! -x

If i leave GraphicsEnable=Yes and boot up normally, i end up with the infamous "please power off you blabla" screen.

What have i done to deserve this ?

newb here, Sorry if this has been answered a million times, spent a couple of hours googling to no avail.

I've installed Lion GM with the help of Chameleon.

Everythings works ok after a bit of tinkering.

My Nvidia 7300GS card shows up as an unknown card until i put GraphicsEnable=Yes AND START IN SAFEMODE ! -x

If i leave GraphicsEnable=Yes and boot up normally, i end up with the infamous "please power off you blabla" screen.

What have i done to deserve this ?

I case any1 else stumbles upon this i found this entry:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t84672.html

And deleted gefore.kext and geforce7xxx.kext

Card show up right and works now !

Add compiled binaries from trunk 1187.

Enjoy

Fabio

OK! I'm confused! ....and it doesn't happen often.... but where is the installer for trunk 1187? I cant find it anywhere in the original post even though its in the title of the actual post.

OK! I'm confused! ....and it doesn't happen often.... but where is the installer for trunk 1187? I cant find it anywhere in the original post even though its in the title of the actual post.
I take a break from this.

I will devote my hobby time, back to the tweak the official pkg's scripts.

At the moment only will post the compiled binaries.

Greetings

Fabio