Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

CPU: Model/ExtModel/Stepping:  0x4/0x0/0x8

According with your provided info

we have a definition for your CPU model

#define CPU_MODEL_NOCONA 0x04 // Xeon Nocona, Irwindale (90nm)
now as suggest by Slice, will be correct if the CPU type is set as 0x402?

How you set the CPU type in your smbios.plist ??

I add a conditions (if) in the getter cpu type to match your processor model from:

switch (Platform.CPU.Model) {
					case CPU_MODEL_PENTIUM_M:
					case CPU_MODEL_DOTHAN:				// 0x0D - Intel Pentium M model D
					case CPU_MODEL_PRESCOTT:
					case CPU_MODEL_NOCONA:
						return true;
to:

case CPU_MODEL_PENTIUM_M:
					case CPU_MODEL_DOTHAN:				// 0x0D - Intel Pentium M model D
					case CPU_MODEL_PRESCOTT:
					case CPU_MODEL_NOCONA:
						if (strstr(Platform.CPU.BrandString, "Xeon")) { // was Xeon(R)
							value->word = 0x402;		// 1026 - Xeon
							return true;
						}
						return true;
EDIT:

I just see now a tiny difference in the way how the "BrandString" is…

your…

CPU: Brand String:             Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
now… probably will be better set the searched string to "Xeon™" or "Xeon"

>> CPU type set to 402 and string search field to "Xeon">> i386_2378.zip

ErmaC

... :rolleyes: excuse me, I would like some of that as well....

---------------------------------------------
--------------- CPU INFO --------------------
---------------------------------------------
Brand String:            Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.20GHz
Vendor:                  0x756e6547
Family:                  0xf
ExtFamily:               0x0
Signature:               f62
Model:                   0x6
ExtModel:                0x0
Stepping:                0x2
MaxCoef/CurrCoef:        0x10/0x10
MaxDiv/CurrDiv:          0x0/0x0
TSCFreq:                 3200MHz
FSBFreq:                 200MHz
CPUFreq:                 3200MHz
Cores:                   2
Logical processor:       2
Features:                0x0000024f

Processor Information:
    Socket Designation: J3E1
    Type: 3
    Family: 0xB2
    Manufacturer: Intel® Corporation
    ID: 0xF62
    Processor Version: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.20GHz
    External Clock: 200MHz
    Maximum Clock: 3200MHz
    Current Clock: 3200MHz
    Serial Number: Not Specified
    Asset Tag: Unknown
    Part Number: Not Specified

...you know... just keeping up with the Jones... :smoke:

... :rolleyes: excuse me, I would like some of that as well....

#define CPU_MODEL_PRESLER 0x06 // Pentium 4, Pentium D (65nm)
It will be very easy and quick if you provide the expected CPU type used in your smbios.plist…

actually the function return 0x201 for your model…

Fabio

• Like 1

Hi ErmaC,

No support for 0xF family in the trunk:

switch (Platform.CPU.Family) {
    case 0x06:
    {

Noticed that there is no table Type 131 (OemProcessorType)  in older Mac's smbioses

Someone spotted this little bug with that updated r2378 (I had not noticed): RAM showing at 0 MHz. Confirmed in System Profiler too (in SL, L or ML).

Do you use UseMemDetect=Yes in your o.c.B.plist?

No, never have. I did not even know that boot option (I tend to use Cham Wizard a lot and that option is not offered by the Wizard)...

I found out I actually have to boot with UseMemDetect=No (or add that option to the boot plist) to get correct RAM speed detection again. Is this a little regression with r2378?

Hervé. the 2378 not exist yet... I made it only for test purpose and the only difference is in the conditional described few post ago...

Can you pls make some test with a previus version? like 2377? where there isn't a cpu type for your cpu and tell us if you have the same memory detection problem (we know your cpu name is not correctly displayed), and same things with SMoemcputype = 402 ?? (2377)

Also pls a DariwinDumper dump.. (expecially the PCI part)...

Because I would like investigate the reason why your INTEL hardware is not corretly detected...

Accordly with this function the flag is auto assigned true or false... but not work for you...

/** scan mem for memory autodection purpose */
void scan_mem()
{
	static bool done = false;
	if (done) {
		return;
	}

/* our code only works on Intel chipsets so make sure here */
	if (pci_config_read16(PCIADDR(0, 0x00, 0), 0x00) != 0x8086) {
		bootInfo->memDetect = false;
	} else {
		bootInfo->memDetect = true;
	}
	/* manually */
	getBoolForKey(kUseMemDetect, &bootInfo->memDetect, &bootInfo->chameleonConfig);

if (bootInfo->memDetect) {
		if (dram_controller_dev != NULL) {
			scan_dram_controller(dram_controller_dev); // Rek: pci dev ram controller direct and fully informative scan ...
		}
		scan_spd(&Platform);
	}
	done = true;
}
ErmaC

Hi, I confirm that there is no such RAM speed detection issue with Cham r2377 or earlier versions. It's only happening with that temp r2378 you offered me to test and which did fix the CPU detection issue.

Here is the DarwinDumper result:

attachicon.gifDarwinDumper_2.9.0_Chameleon_2.2_X64_ML_admin.zip

Back to post #2101. Why don't you use working r2377 with SMoemcputype=1026 in smbios.plist?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I've been wondering for some time now, and it's just something cosmetic so not of any functional use, is something in the system profiler.

Under PCI cards I've never seen my gfx cards listed with a pci-slot number while when I tested clover and on actual macs it does.

My interest became renewed once I looked at the nvidia preference pane recently;

ZL5ce1j.png

Is there any way of having it show up using chameleon other than dsdt editing? (using a dsdt free setup now).

Or can anyone explain me why this happens, purely out of interest :)

What I've been wondering for some time now, and it's just something cosmetic so not of any functional use, is something in the system profiler.

Under PCI cards I've never seen my gfx cards listed with a pci-slot number while when I tested clover and on actual macs it does.

My interest became renewed once I looked at the nvidia preference pane recently;

ZL5ce1j.png

Is there any way of having it show up using chameleon other than dsdt editing? (using a dsdt free setup now).

Or can anyone explain me why this happens, purely out of interest :)

No, and not editing your DSDT or using a SSDT injection table means you system is broken as without patching and additional code you system can not function properly. 

Actually I'm not quite sure I understand that correctly or at all.

Recently I've experimenting with a setup with just uefi board + chameleon + fakesmc + smbios + voodoohda and nothing more, no dsdt for a change.

Everything fully works including sleep, speedstep and the performance is dead on.

From how I read your comment, this setup shouldn't work at all, am I right? It's far from broken as you suggest and in fact I never had such a good hack before.

Can someone tell me what is the SMchassistype for an iMac?

edit: I set it to "13" (Al in one)

I just noticed that my About This Mac window shows a Mac Pro image with iMac name and year. Where the image coming from? What smbios value? Serial?

I just noticed that my About This Mac window shows a Mac Pro image with iMac name and year. Where the image coming from? What smbios value? Serial?

...sounds like you have SMbios set to Imac...and serial number of MacPro

...sounds like you have SMbios set to Imac...and serial number of MacPro

I made a serial for imac, but it was invalid somehow because I made another one by only changed characters in the middle of it, and this fixed the image.

Actually I'm not quite sure I understand that correctly or at all.

Recently I've experimenting with a setup with just uefi board + chameleon + fakesmc + smbios + voodoohda and nothing more, no dsdt for a change.

Everything fully works including sleep, speedstep and the performance is dead on.

From how I read your comment, this setup shouldn't work at all, am I right? It's far from broken as you suggest and in fact I never had such a good hack before.

Without a edited DSDT or use of a SSDT injection table you have a incomplete/broken system. Just because the car moves forward and smoke is pouring out the back of the exhaust and the car is misfiring does not mean the car is working perfectly... Same concept here. 

I don't use a modified dsdt and have had no problems for 6yr on this older hardware. My dsdt has no errors and only 2 warnings on a recompile but that is not the point. Lets keep in mind that every board that supports windows vista and up requires an ACPI of 2.0 or higher so every board is equipped with a dsdt. Lets also keep in mind that a "modified" dsdt is NOT a requirement to boot or use OS X. Also its worth noting that even Apple doesn't completely stay to the ACPI spec for their own programing. Apple being a closed system relies on Mac Machine numbers to implement its power interface instead of DSDT tables.

I will agree that a modified dsdt can be helpful in osx to achieve better support for a specific mac model that we try to spoof or to enable certain features of that mac model on boot, but I do disagree that without an edited DSDT/SSDT a system is broke.

You seems have very good OEM DSDT. You are lucky working with it. But usually users must edit their DSDT because Mac OSX is very ACPI related system.

• Like 1

Well, grump. I hadn't tried to build Chameleon in a while and updated from the SVN repo. First the build barfed on unused functions. So I #ifdef'd them out. Then the linker blew up in uClibcxx.

Turns out the problem is Apple's custom version of ld. If code is compiled with Link Time Optimization, and the linker is set to do dead code stripping, the linker fails. Apple is aware of the problem but doesn't seem to have a fix yet.

If you have the latest XCode 5.1 installed on Mavericks 10.9.2, how do you build Chameleon?!

Well, grump. I hadn't tried to build Chameleon in a while and updated from the SVN repo. First the build barfed on unused functions. So I #ifdef'd them out. Then the linker blew up in uClibcxx.

Turns out the problem is Apple's custom version of ld. If code is compiled with Link Time Optimization, and the linker is set to do dead code stripping, the linker fails. Apple is aware of the problem but doesn't seem to have a fix yet.

If you have the latest XCode 5.1 installed on Mavericks 10.9.2, how do you build Chameleon?!

Downgrade to 5.0.1

• 1 month later...

Can this be added to ati.c?

{ 0x9553, 0x3629103C, CHIP_FAMILY_RV710, "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530", kShrike

i386_v2379.zip

The suggest code changes was made only on my local repo, compiled and attached here.

Not yet commit on the "cloud".

ErmaC