Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

r530 installer is very buggy, use at your own risk, you have been warned...

What problems do you have with the installer?

Can you please be more specific so to help in finding those hypothetic bugs and solve them?

Your post and the one from kdawn are the only two that talks about problems relative to the installer itself on more than 100 downloads (please note that the installer is based on the already tested official installer of the old RC1).

Please help us in improve it providing more detailed description of the problems you found

Is it possible that i will have an issue with RC4 and sleepenabler for 10.6.4?

Sorry but I don't know. I've never had a system that needs sleeper enabler

Guys, can you stop the nonsense of mentioning HEAD and Base revisions as Chameleon revisions!? please :D

Chameleon is at rev 517 and that's it!! There were no changes made to the trunk on rev's 518 or 530, for instance.

The official installer uses the file "/trunk/revision" to determine what revision we are compiling.

That is the same revision that Chameleon itself (Trunk or branch doesn't matter) shows in the boot banner.

For this reason it will be confusing for end users to use another revision number in the installer than the one used by chameleon itself.

For what I can understand chameleon sources and svn options needs to be changed to have what you are suggesting, but if I'm wrong I'll be happy to change this behavior

Hi Scrax,

"revision" file is created when the compilation of the booter starts; the rev info on it is read from the info stored on the .svn folders and it's updated on every subsequent compilation; later the compiler reads the file and "stamps" the rev on the binary.

As you can read on my previous post, it's just the way svn works; if you don't specify a revision when updating or checking out a folder from a "project" (whatever that folder is, trunk or branch), the folder will be tagged with the HEAD revision, the latest made to the project, which may or may not have been done to the trunk. The job of specifying the correct revision is up to the human in charge :)

You guys need to diferentiate Chameleon bootloader (binaries compiled form the trunk) from the Chameleon project it self;

the last is always at HEAD rev and it's composed of all changes ever made to the folders of the project;

Chameleon bootloader is always at the trunk rev (which will be the HEAD if it's the latest) and it's only composed of the changes made to the trunk folder!

Now, knowing this and that the latest revision where changes were made to the trunk folder was number 517, what revision you think it should be mentioned on the installer, atm?? or any other package, for that matter!

And this is not a "suggestion" at all... :(

As i'm already here... for the guys with the "ignore caches" hang, i don't get any hang with rev 517.

I do get an instant reboot on a similar situation using my branch (Chazi) so, i wonder what bootloader are you guys using?!

Or what is making you hang there?

Edited by Azimutz

Guys, can you stop the nonsense of mentioning HEAD and Base revisions as Chameleon revisions!? please :(

Chameleon is at rev 517 and that's it!! There were no changes made to the trunk on rev's 518 or 530, for instance.

OK„ whatever, rev 517 doesn't work regarding mem detection.

As i'm already here... for the guys with the "ignore caches" hang, i don't get any hang with rev 517.

I do get an instant reboot on the same situation using my branch (Chazi) so, i wonder what bootloader are you guys using?!

No instant reboot here. In verbose mode it displays the detected mem information and just hangs there forever.

ed_co,

if it's only the MemDetection that doesn't work, use smbios.plist and file a bug report.

And check last Rekursor's post on the other topic were i answered you...

chaosaltar,

try the topic above too.

Well, this topic is not to discuss bootloader's problems. Anyway, the buzz revealed a bug on my branch and probably another one the trunk that no one mentioned yet so, thanks :P

Hi Scrax,

"revision" file is created when the compilation of the booter starts; the rev info on it is read from the info stored on the .svn folders and it's updated on every subsequent compilation; later the compiler reads the file and "stamps" the rev on the binary.

As you can read on my previous post, it's just the way svn works; if you don't specify a revision when updating or checking out a folder from a "project" (whatever that folder is, trunk or branch), the folder will be tagged with the HEAD revision, the latest made to the project, which may or may not have been done to the trunk. The job of specifying the correct revision is up to the human in charge :)

You guys need to diferentiate Chameleon bootloader (binaries compiled form the trunk) from the Chameleon project it self;

the last is always at HEAD rev and it's composed of all changes ever made to the folders of the project;

Chameleon bootloader is always at the trunk rev (which will be the HEAD if it's the latest) and it's only composed of the changes made to the trunk folder!

Now, knowing this and that the latest revision where changes were made to the trunk folder was number 517, what revision you think it should be mentioned on the installer, atm?? or any other package, for that matter!

And this is not a "suggestion" at all... :P

I do get an instant reboot on the same situation using my branch (Chazi) so, i wonder what bootloader are you guys using?!

thank's azimuth for the explanation' i've made this:

tomaremac:~ scriz$ cd ~/chameleon/trunk/
tomaremac:trunk scriz$ svn up -r 517
Restored 'package/fdisk'
At revision 517.
tomaremac:trunk scriz$ make clean; make pkg

and it's correct now. :)

for the translations here you are with the /trunk/package/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings in english

Localizable.strings.zip

and here the installer with english added, please leave feedback and feel free to suggest corrected/translated versions

Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r517.zip

Schermata%202010-09-17%20a%2003.26.29.png

Now it becomes to look like a lite version of something between myHack and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]... Just sayin'.

thank's azimuth for the explanation' i've made this:

tomaremac:~ scriz$ cd ~/chameleon/trunk/
tomaremac:trunk scriz$ svn up -r 517
Restored 'package/fdisk'
At revision 517.
tomaremac:trunk scriz$ make clean; make pkg

and it's correct now. :)

Nice! I see a "package/fdisk" was restored.. did you noticed? I guess so...

I'll catch catch up with you on voodoofurums topic.. will try to take a look at the sources too.

By the way, nice effort you guys are doing.. props to everyone contributing :)

How do I install this package into the EFI partition, /volumes/efi/ The /dev/disk0s1 is where I currently have rev 364. Your installer keeps installing everything in the root /.

For now I moved everything over to the EFI partition. New issues now encountered with this Chameleon that was not a problem in Mojo's rev 364"

Sep 17 19:16:30 win7 kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

Sep 17 19:16:30 win7 kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initializedSuperIO: Probing NSC

And Vbios message has not changed since rev 364 and have to assume this card it not supported yet?

Sep 17 19:16:12 osxfr33ks-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: GT215 [GeForce GTS 360M]

Sep 17 19:16:13 osxfr33ks-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Error reading BIOS

Thanks

Edited a few minutes later:

My fault chose DropSSDT=Yes should be No. Not using my own SSDT tables.

The Installer and Vbios questions remain from above.

I have to assume for now if I want to install into the EFI partition I will need to do this manually?

If so will I need to manually re-create all the steps over again for a manual chameleon install such as boot1h, boot0, HFS+ so I can mount the EFI, etc etc., or will the current partition work with revision 530? I currently have Mojo's revision 364.

How do I install this package into the EFI partition

Here's how :

- open the chameleon package with Pacifist

- look after the contents of "core.pkg", and extract the 3 files - boot0, boot1h and boot

- fire up a terminal

- cd /to/where/you extracted/the 3 files

- fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX, where "X" is the number of the drive you have your Mac on,

e.g. /dev/rdisk0 if it is on the first hard drive/primary master in your system

- dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX, where "X" is the drive & partition location number of your EFI, e.g. /dev/rdisk0s1

- mkdir /Volumes/EFI && mount_hfs /dev/diskXsX /Volumes/EFI - make a mount point and mount your EFI-part., usually /dev/disk0s1

- cp boot /Volumes/EFI/

- umount -f /Volumes/EFI

- reboot

@MacFanatic76,

Thanks. I did all of that for Mojo's Rev 364. Will I need to repeat that again for this new release or am I good to go? just copy over the boot, new theme folder and modify the com.apple.Boot.plist?

My Graphics card works with full acceleration and full resolution but not sure about the vbios reading error?

Fantastic work! Works perfectly; displays my hardware accurately, no sleep issues, no KP, it just works like it should. RC4 was poo, I actually used AsereBLN 1.1.9 after upgrading from RC3 because it threw my whole system into a near non-usable state with random KP, and non-usable sleep. Again, great work! :rolleyes:

I had some reports that the efi installer isn't working right. For now i'm investigating the script...

Scrax for me it's working like a charm, i did a new installation of retail snow these days on the hack in rig (never tried the efi option).

Tnx for the great work you do.

i Think there are no changes in code for the trunk - so no need for new installers too.

only meklort with its different bootloader (using modules) had code changes in the past days, but thats not used in the trunk code.

i Think there are no changes in code for the trunk - so no need for new installers too.

only meklort with its different bootloader (using modules) had code changes in the past days, but thats not used in the trunk code.

You right mitch_de.

Anyway the topic's title say "Unofficial Package Installer based on latest RC5 trunk."

Fabio

Here's how :

- open the chameleon package with Pacifist

- look after the contents of "core.pkg", and extract the 3 files - boot0, boot1h and boot

- fire up a terminal

- cd /to/where/you extracted/the 3 files

- fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX, where "X" is the number of the drive you have your Mac on,

e.g. /dev/rdisk0 if it is on the first hard drive/primary master in your system

- dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX, where "X" is the drive & partition location number of your EFI, e.g. /dev/rdisk0s1

- mkdir /Volumes/EFI && mount_hfs /dev/diskXsX /Volumes/EFI - make a mount point and mount your EFI-part., usually /dev/disk0s1

- cp boot /Volumes/EFI/

- umount -f /Volumes/EFI

- reboot

If you are terminal averse, couldn't you just extract boot, boot0 and boot1h with pacifist and copy them to the root of the appropriate harddrive?

If you are terminal averse, couldn't you just extract boot, boot0 and boot1h with pacifist and copy them to the root of the appropriate harddrive?

you can do it only with boot other file are not installed on a volume but on the disk boot sectors

Just a side note, IMO it's not a good idea to use EFI for boot, if you don't want to touch the system volume you can make a 50MB volume for chameleon and boot from there.

you can do it only with boot other file are not installed on a volume but on the disk boot sectors

I don't understand why you said this. :) You can install other files using Terminal too. boot0 can be installed using fdisk while boot1h can be installed using dd tool.

@scrax, I understand now why you said like that. You interpreted the word "copy" for just using "cp" command. Using fdisk & dd to install boot0 & boot1h can be seen as a copy process too. wink_anim.gif