Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

Mine is an EVGA GTX 560Ti (so nVidia).

Would it work anyway? And where should I override the VESA tables to set 1920x1080?

Please be aware that I'm just looking to get only the Chameleon menu at 1920x1080 (which runs in VESA of course), apart from that, my GPU is working pretty good under OS X with full GPU acceleration (and monitor resolutions) available.

Mine is an EVGA GTX 560Ti (so nVidia).

Would it work anyway? And where should I override the VESA tables to set 1920x1080?

Please be aware that I'm just looking to get only the Chameleon menu at 1920x1080 (which runs in VESA of course), apart from that, my GPU is working pretty good under OS X with full GPU acceleration (and monitor resolutions) available.

Unfortunately, I don't know nothing about Nvidea or Gforce. But if you want the highest resolution in Chameleon, you must get rid of GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Look at my plist as you can see there is nothing relative to Graphics.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/DSDT.aml</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,1) hd(1,2) "Files" "Acer"</string>
<key>Rename Partition</key>
<string>"1082" MountainLion ;"SYSTEM RESERVED" Windows8</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>MountainLion</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Sorry man but you're probably misunderstanding me, or I'm not good enough to explain myself :)

My problem isn't related to GraphicsEnabler, GraphicsEnabler is just a parameter that instruct Chameleon to patch stuffs AFTER you select your OSX partition and press ENTER to boot it, not before, and its only purpose is to make OSX aware of your graphics card. Only OSX, not Chameleon itself :)

I can get rid of it at all, or pass it as a parameter before booting OSX (writing "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" or "No" as a boot parameter), this doesn't change the fact that the Chameleon screen where you select which partition to boot (and only this), is locked to a resolution that depends on which modes are available in your VESA Table (see the screenshot later).

What happens after doesn't matter, as I said before, my OSX is working straightforward in 1920x1080 and full GPU acceleration, the problem here is before the boot process, when Chameleon loads up (and is stuck to the maximum VESA mode available, cannot go further).

Here's why I used Clover as a reference, because using the snip I quoted some posts ago, it can patch on the fly the VideoBios, allowing VESA modes unavailable in the default vbios (like 1920x1080), thus having the Bootloader screen and the boot process (with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel) to run in 1920x1080 as well instead of being limited to the maximum VESA mode available.

The problem is in the VESA Tables, which anyone can see writing the "?video" parameter (without quotes) in the Chameleon bootmenu, I've tried to hexedit the video bios and reflash it, but so far looks like the VESA Tables are hidden or encrypted somewhere else.

For reference, this is a picture I've taken from my Chameleon, the maximum VESA mode available to me at the moment is the last one.

4qh7d1.jpg

So that's why an "on the fly search&replace", like Clover does, would be imho definitely great for Chameleon :)

Sorry man but you're probably misunderstanding me, or I'm not good enough to explain myself :)

Isn't VESA graphics handled by the card itself? Or is that the motherboard? I have found that certain types of cables will change the native resolution and allow more graphics resolutions and some have less. Make sense?

Isn't VESA graphics handled by the card itself? Or is that the motherboard?

It's the card itself, but unfortunately trying the "hard" way (dumping the video bios, finding the vesa tables location, hex editing and re-flashing) gives no significant results, having still the same, unaltered, modes after the whole procedure. Tried a few times, then gave up, then tried out of curiosity Clover, with a tutorial full of encoded strings for the search and replace, and it worked

http://www.projectos...83entry22683.

Looks like on the new GeForce bioses they're encrypted or encoded somewhere, and the only way is the on-the-fly search and replace like Clover does with the PatchVBiosBytes option, as the guy said on his tutorial:

* For NVidia adapters series 400 or newer, the original VBIOS image is not identical to the content of the C0000-DFFFF area. It seems that in these series the resolution matrices are either compressed or encoded in the original VBIOS image. Therefore, for these newer cards, you will not see the described matrices when analyzing an original Nvidia VBIOS image, only when analyzing the C0000-DFFFF area.

I have found that certain types of cables will change the native resolution and allow more graphics resolutions and some have less. Make sense?

That's correct, probably it uses two or more different tables depending on the output interface.

This is for instance a picture I took moments ago, using the analog output (DVI-VGA adapter), more modes, and higher resolution than digital DVI (it goes up to 1600x1200, instead of the 1280x800 available in DVI)

2dljkpk.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find my DisplayPort-DVI adapter at the moment, but I suspect it would give me the same modes I get from the DVI output.

Same here: with VGA, no stretched boot screen, either in Chameleon or in Clover. Since i use DVI (and Clover currently), and the maximum improvement i got, by injecting a custom EDID, was a boot screen framed inside a rectangle smaller than my monitor's screen size, i suppose i'll have to get used with it.

Hello. I have a little issue with Chameleon.

My version of Chameleon is 2181, at the present.

The point is that my first slot of Ram show me wrong frequency. It's

problem Chameleon Exactly. Not my laptop. Because Clover show me

correct both of slots.(1333MHz)

That is to say the frequently of my first slot of Ram ought to

1333MHz instead of 1064MHz.

Attachments

1) DarwinDumper

2) IOReg ver 3.0

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/329/

Memory Slots:

ECC: Disabled

Bank 0/M1:

Size: 4 GB

Type: DDR3

Speed: 1064 MHz

Manufacturer: Samsung

Part Number: M471B5273BH1-CF8

Serial Number: 478C035F

Bank 1/M2:

Size: 4 GB

Type: DDR3

Speed: 1333 MHz

Manufacturer: N/A

Part Number: N/A

Serial Number: N/A

Bank 2/M3:

Size: Empty

Type: Empty

Speed: Empty

Manufacturer: Empty

Part Number: Empty

Serial Number: Empty

Bank 3/M4:

Size: Empty

Type: Empty

Speed: Empty

Manufacturer: Empty

Part Number: Empty

Serial Number: Empty

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/DSDT.aml</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,1) hd(1,2) "Files"
"Acer"</string>
<key>Rename Partition</key>
<string>"1082" MountainLion ;"SYSTEM
RESERVED" Windows8</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>MountainLion</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

•  

Acer aspire 8942G.zip

DarwinDumper_2.5.8_Chameleon_2.1_ML_admin.zip

Hi fellas,

As the buildot is down for a while now, i can't grab some older versions of C2RC5.

I am looking in particular the revision 1046 ; maybe someone still got this one on his hard drive ?

Thank you.

Hi The Real Deal

If you have Apple Developer Tools installed and you don't mind building Chameleon yourself, then you can checkout any revision you want from the voodoo projects forge.

Create yourself a directory where you want to download it to.

In the terminal, cd to that folder. Then run the following command, changing 783 in this example to whatever number you want.

svn co -r 783 http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/trunk/

• Like 2

hi, i see latest enoch with hdaenabler module...how does it work? Is it compatible with snow leopard too (including graphics, audio with hdaenabler, all features, etc) ? Which codecs are they supposed to work with ? Thanks! Mal

You can find the last version of Chameleon at the first message of this topic.

You have to make the correct AppleHDA with patches etc. And put the HDAEnabler into the folder called /Extra/Modules/

If it doesn't work you should make the corect dsdt as well.

http://www.osx86.net/view/3407-applehda_alc670_edited_10.8.2.html

You can see my page with fixes for AppleHDA for instance.

hi, i see latest enoch with hdaenabler module...how does it work? Is it compatible with snow leopard too (including graphics, audio with hdaenabler, all features, etc) ? Which codecs are they supposed to work with ? Thanks! Mal

I wrote that module for help people with DSDT (HDEF HDAU) edits problems.

So right now also with latest chameleon 2187 and up (just commit yesterday few changes into PCI device info).

You can use the HDAEnabler module in chameleon (no tested on chameleon.. Only with Enoch so I'm not completely sure it work with it ATM).

Basically catch the HDEF layout-id provided by user from the o.c.B.p and inject-it, same things for the HDAU (most case the two value need to be identical).

Note: you still need a patched AppleHDA.Kext as for the classics HDEF/HDAU dsdt's edit.

So at this moment, is nothing more than a HDEF and HDAU replacements for those people that don't feeling with .aml edits.

(And at this time I'm really busy with other things and I don't know when I completly finish it)

Fabio

• Like 1

Hi The Real Deal

If you have Apple Developer Tools installed and you don't mind building Chameleon yourself, then you can checkout any revision you want from the voodoo projects forge.

Create yourself a directory where you want to download it to.

In the terminal, cd to that folder. Then run the following command, changing 783 in this example to whatever number you want.

svn co -r 783 http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/trunk/

Yes ! :)

All set. Works as described. Thanks a lot blackosx :king:

hello Fabio

1 question

u are involved in the 2 must important boot loaders now to boot OS X

is not possible chameleon to use a key like Clover to use CustomEdid ?

for me and other users , u use forced edid , it was important, because of system updates in mac os x , u override the files with forced edid, in Clover, don't have that issue

thanks

all the best to u

good hack

I have a dual OS X and Windows setup on one of my internal drives. When I tried to install Windows, it would always fail because Windows didnt see it as a real EFI drive (but it shows up as GPT in diskpart, stupid Microsoft). So, after many attempts, I found my way around the restrictions by using a BIOS GPT boot partition before the NTFS partition. Unfortunately, Chameleon cannot handle the BIOS boot partition and it gives me errors. Is there any way that I can set Chameleon to dump these errors in a text file?

GA-P35-DS3P, Lion 10.7.5, Enoch 2070 is the last working build,

v2.2 based 2188 KP while booting on firewire audio card Saffire driver.

Searched through this forum and some others - seems that this problem was

connected with something in Chimaera originally, but now Chameleon is affected too.

Edited by nekoth

Hello fellas and merry Christmas,

I have compiled myself Chameleon in the past without any problems. Today i have pulled the sources to compil the last rev (2149).

OS is 10.6.8 and Xcode 3.2.6 installed, but the build fail at some point ; please see the attached image ; any help would be appreciated.

I have tried the 2187 source with Xcode 3.2.5 installed on my MacBook Pro 6,1 (i5 with 8GB RAM), Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and have the exact same build message and result (no chameleon package). From what I can tell the automatically generated files boot_modules.c and boot_modules.h do not have all of the content necessary to build (symbols are missing). Then, since the build cannot find the symbols (probably the linker), the build stops with the error messages.

• 2 weeks later...

You can put your videoBios into DSDT. It works fine!

Do you know how to do that, or can you point us to the right direction, maybe linking a tutorial or something that explains this? :)

I've already tried editing the table from vbios dump, but with no luck (the nvidia bios has the vesa tables encrypted), is the videoBios in the DSDT equivalent to the memory patch done by Clover?

Soory that I cannot give you example of my dsdt in this topic because I'm writing to you on iPad2.

I used it when Colver could not start my graphics up(previous version).

This method is equivalent to the memory patch done by Clover. Maybe even better.

Go to this link and find the line - "There is the best solution for ATI's cards"

Also you can try XPC, for me it's better than clover as it detects RAM correctly.

And XPC is lighter than Clover.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286379-xpc/

I made aty,bin_image into dsdt gfx0 device and nothing changed, the only thing I found is that Radeonsensor says in console that it found atom bios. Without bin_image in dsdt, it says bin image not found, but everything working without bin_image injected into dsdt (gpu temp too).

So what is the function of this dsdt bin_image injecting? What should be change?

(I'am not using graphics enabler)

I made aty,bin_image into dsdt gfx0 device and nothing changed, the only thing I found is that Radeonsensor says in console that it found atom bios. Without bin_image in dsdt, it says bin image not found, but everything working without bin_image injected into dsdt (gpu temp too).

So what is the function of this dsdt bin_image injecting? What should be change?

(I'am not using graphics enabler)

Just another means to the same end (full graphics acceleration) to which there are a few different methods, GE=Yes being most well know and simplest. Depending on hardware and bootloader combination along with personal preference, any number of methods may work, or more exotic solutions could be required. So the real answer.....

This answer will apply to all hardware, not just GPU:

Q: If my piece of hardware already works as expected, and changes are made to DSDT, kexts, hardware's bootloader settings, etc., what are the expected results?

A: 2 possibilites, first possibility is no changes at all. Second possibility is it won't work properly anymore or it won't work at all.

Conclusion: Unless there is a specific issue/problem your looking to address....If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D