Bootloader Chameleon

• Please log in to reply
2120 replies to this topic

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,008 posts
I have a new TEST installer. Now v1630 and replaces the previous v1620.

The changes include a fix to a bug with the EFI system partition installation and an attempt to catch whether or not the user is trying to install a secondary boot partition to the same disk. If they are and if there's a possibility of a b1f:error or boot1:error then the installer will attempt to fix potential problems.

As before,
So to anyone who would like to test this, please do so on a test rig and understand that this is a beta.
If for any unlikely reason that data loss should occur, I will not be held responsible. You test this at your own risk.

I look forward to hearing any feedback.

Thanks

EDIT:
20th October 16:40 - v1630 removed. New v1640 beta posted here in post #1033

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Running 1630 now. Thanks =). Just ran it on the Main install, figured I had the USB as a backup haha. Installed just the same as 1620. I was hoping it'd fix my iCloud login issue, which I just read there was a fix for in 1627, but no go. I'll have to keep trying the other solutions =P.

Oh, and I was referring to this old blog: chameleon.osx86.hu
=P. Of course something else could take it's place, I think it just comes down to the right people to more or less track what's going on in the development scene/forums and putting it up in a more user friendly (User friendly explanations as well, Like a blog) place. Not to mention the added benefit of more feedback. That Changes/Updates link is great, thanks.

Edit:
Just tried this 1627 from this first post: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=269425
Fixed my iCloud login issue.

sonicfire

sonicfire

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

How can i verify, Chameleon is using this Boot.plist? Or in other words, where to specify what Boot.plist to use? Can you help me on that?

Oh and one big thing, that i noticed:
From somewhere else i read, before you Boot up your machine / When the chameleon bootloader appears, you can press TAB and then type "arch=i386". And guess what - IT WENT 32 BIT !!!
Now if i only could make that permanent.

Thanks for help!

....so can anyone *PLEASE* help me with this?

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

The org.chameleon.Boot.plist file that's used is at the root of the volume Cham is installed in, in the folder /Extra/

As for it booting 32-bit, this should have worked:
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
Strange, though I remember a long time ago an option being set in the boot.plist and it not working for me, so I ended up putting it in the "Kernel Flag's section of the same boot.plist and it worked. So could try putting arch=i386 into Kernel Flags section =P.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,008 posts

You can verify Chameleon is using /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist by changing or adding a boot option. Why don't you try the ShowInfo boot option? By default, when you see Chameleon's GUI, it'll present you with details on the currently selected partition and resolution.

To turn it off you will want to add the boot option to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist as follows:
<key>ShowInfo</key>
	<string>No</string>
or to turn it on,
<key>ShowInfo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
Note: If you have the following boot option then the ShowInfo option will be overruled, so make sure this is not present.
<key>Boot Banner</key>
	<string>No</string>
Try it now, then reboot and see what difference it makes. If you see a difference then you know that /Extra/org.chameleon/Boot.plist is being used.

As for typing a command at the Chameleon's GUI or text menu, this is a useful option for testing before making a permanent addition to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. The fact that typing arch=i386 works to boot the OS X kernel in to 32-bit mode, shows you that Chameleon is functioning correctly and either A ) The org.chameleon.Boot.plist which you have been editing is not the one Chameleon is using, or B ) you have an error in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Let me know what you find.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,008 posts

Running 1630 now. Thanks =). Just ran it on the Main install, figured I had the USB as a backup haha. Installed just the same as 1620.

Thanks for testing Enzo

I was hoping it'd fix my iCloud login issue, which I just read there was a fix for in 1627, but no go. I'll have to keep trying the other solutions =P.

I'm only working on the package installer and (I think) the Chameleon source in my branch is the same as the latest trunk. I merged it only recently. The current trunk has the Boot-UUID / chosen code (FaceTime/iCloud fix) removed as it caused issue for RAID users.

Oh, and I was referring to this old blog: chameleon.osx86.hu =P.

Ah. yes. Sorry to have not grasped that first time round. Well as far a as I know, that blog was superseded by the voodooproject's forum and so hasn't been updated.

Of course something else could take it's place, I think it just comes down to the right people to more or less track what's going on in the development scene/forums and putting it up in a more user friendly (User friendly explanations as well, Like a blog) place. Not to mention the added benefit of more feedback.

Absolutely, but it's all down to finding the person(s) to do it. Everyone involved that I know of volunteers their free time and for most it's a hobby. The developers time it wisely spent developing and the testers time is spent testing. I'm all for what you ask, it's just getting it going. I started putting together some Chameleon documentation the other day, but thats going to have to be a work in progress as I don't have the time to devote as I'd like.

That Changes/Updates link is great, thanks.

Yeah. It's a snapshot of now and a place to keep abreast of what's going on.

Just tried this 1627 from this first post: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=269425
Fixed my iCloud login issue.

I understand there's a desire to have a Chameleon build with the fix, hence why builds like that are popping up. You also have the option of using the slightly tweaked Chameleon branch named Chimera, the totally re-worked Chameleon stage 2 loader named RevoBoot, XPC or #####. All I know is the Chameleon devs have said a fix will be added to the branch when one had been found to be compatible with RAID users.

jack kyle

jack kyle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
<Update! Culprit found: its the Resolution module finally!! >
Deleting it allows chameleon to boot effortlessly Lion and have my graphic card works natively :)
It seems the graphic module refuse my 15" samsung CRT monitor :thanks_speechbubble:
Wild Guess: I think it finds my disabled intel igp in the dsdt and patch the vesa mode which hangs my Ati R5770 card :|

We need a simple command line at chameleon boot and in the .plist to disable it (if it doesn't exist yet).
instead of running windows7 with macdrive and deleting the module :P
<Thanks to all who helped me keep looking :) >
-------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry but I don't know where to post my cry for help :P
Chameleon don't work anymore for me since the last working version :Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r760 !
I have an asus eah5770 CUcore (pciexpress ati r5770 1go) graphic card which was natively supported by osx without any injection or kext (had graphic enabler yes).
I recently tried updating my osx10.6.6 to lion 10.7.1 and found out that all versions after rc5 r760 don't even show their menu on my screen even if I plug in at the same time all the video outputs to my monitors. (used official rc5 installers and 2.1 svn installers)(tried r828 installer then up to 2.1 svn 1630 other branches too like chimera...)

now as soon as the boot starts up, my screen goes to blank. can't even see what i type. and osx doesn't finish the boot( used old version in 10.6.6 and 10.7.1 and enabled vnc) as soon as I use a recent version even 10.6.6 stops working.
thank god Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r760 makes lion work but I can't then upgrade like other mac enthusiast :wallbash:
I now use Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r760 with lion 10.7.1 with my 5770 without any injection or kext like in 10.6.6. there is one difference though is that I don't need to use the kvm switch and plug both dvi and vga output. now in lion it works just like in windows7 without a hitch natively. of course opencl and opengl works natively like in 10.6.6.

I tried all possible chameleon parameter related to graphic card (efi injection, on off, vanilla/original bios, ati ports ....) chameleon svn or rc5 760+ just don't boot my external graphic card.
I even enable or disable my custom dsdt without any success (DSDT have all beside the pci0 peg... ati card's dsdt couldn't edit others safely and make one).
I have the connectors info and my Graphic card bios and extracted my efi graphic string if anyone can help (T_T).

I am lost :(

I even found that my graphic card can be used to upgrade original macs natively :P

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

Hackintosh specs:
CPU: intel core 2 duo e6600 at 2400mhz (chameleon shows it in osx lion as core 2 solo even smbios cpu type edit or cpu=2 in chameleon don't help?! (was good in snow)).
RAM: 2*2 go kingston at 800mhz
MotherBoard: asus p5g41-m le (has intel igp disabled)(hopefully enabling it helped me install lion with new chameleon the after boot switch back to r760 and disabling the igp again :( )
HDD: sata.
my final kexts in lion's extra:fakesmc, intelcpumonitor, superiofamily
AUDIO: creative audigy

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I am sorry but I don't know where to post my cry for help :P
Chameleon don't work anymore for me since the last working version :Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r760 !
I have an asus eah5770 CUcore (pciexpress ati r5770 1go) graphic card which was natively supported by osx without any injection or kext (had graphic enabler yes).
I recently tried updating my osx10.6.6 to lion 10.7.1 and found out that all versions after rc5 r760 don't even show their menu on my screen even if I plug in at the same time all the video outputs to my monitors. (used official rc5 installers and 2.1 svn installers)(tried r828 installer then up to 2.1 svn 1630 other branches too like chimera...)

now as soon as the boot starts up, my screen goes to blank. can't even see what i type. and osx doesn't finish the boot( used old version in 10.6.6 and 10.7.1 and enabled vnc) as soon as I use a recent version even 10.6.6 stops working.
thank god Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r760 makes lion work but I can't then upgrade like other mac enthusiast ;)
I now use Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r760 with lion 10.7.1 with my 5770 without any injection or kext like in 10.6.6. there is one difference though is that I don't need to use the kvm switch and plug both dvi and vga output. now in lion it works just like in windows7 without a hitch natively. of course opencl and opengl works natively like in 10.6.6.

I tried all possible chameleon parameter related to graphic card (efi injection, on off, vanilla/original bios, ati ports ....) chameleon svn or rc5 760+ just don't boot my external graphic card.
I even enable or disable my custom dsdt without any success (DSDT have all beside the pci0 peg... ati card's dsdt couldn't edit others safely and make one).
I have the connectors info and my Graphic card bios and extracted my efi graphic string if anyone can help (T_T).

I am lost :(

I even found that my graphic card can be used to upgrade original macs natively :P

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

Hackintosh specs:
CPU: intel core 2 duo e6600 at 2400mhz (chameleon shows it in osx lion as core 2 solo even smbios cpu type edit or cpu=2 in chameleon don't help?! (was good in snow)).
RAM: 2*2 go kingston at 800mhz
MotherBoard: asus p5g41-m le (has intel igp disabled)(hopefully enabling it helped me install lion with new chameleon the after boot switch back to r760 and disabling the igp again :( )
HDD: sata.
my final kexts in lion's extra:fakesmc, intelcpumonitor, superiofamily
AUDIO: creative audigy

After you updated the Chameleon, did you rename your com.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot plist?

Noisema

Noisema

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Maybe here is not the right place to ask but I'll give it a try as I couldn't find further clear information trough a search on this forum and by searching with Google. Feel free to move to an other thread if needed ;)

I have a core i7 950 used on an p6X58D-E which seems to have a bit of problems with MTRR during boot (slow boot/slow redering of images during OS selection/text). For more info see here: http://forge.voodoop...eon/issues/113/

So now I'm wondering the following:
- What does MTRR do exactly? (I looked up the definition on Wikipedia but was not able to get clear what it does exactly, or better said I could use some layman's terms to get a better understanding about what it does).
- In which way does it affect the operation of OS X? Does it affect only during booting the OS, or could may it cause problems/give slowdowns when OS X is running?
- What is needed to solve this issue? I see it's planned for the Chameleon 2.1 final release, but I'm wondering if there's another way to solve it or to use a workaround for this.

Anyway, I'm willing to test if needed, hopefully I can help out others with this too.

Thanks in advance :(

jack kyle

jack kyle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

After you updated the Chameleon, did you rename your com.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot plist?

I did, yes :)
also pciroot and all other tries didn.t work.
I guess its something that hapened between rev 760 and 828. maybe the kabyl ati init or something else...

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I did, yes :wacko:
also pciroot and all other tries didn.t work.
I guess its something that hapened between rev 760 and 828. maybe the kabyl ati init or something else...

You could also try completely eliminating your /Extra/Extensions directory by moving all of your system extensions to the /System/Library/Extensions directory and adding the UseKernelCache=Yes to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist. While this may not seem related to your issue, this simple modification has helped many in booting their previously "unbootable" Lions as the OS X 10.7 handles its boot up kext caches quite differently than its predecessors.

jack kyle

jack kyle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You could also try completely eliminating your /Extra/Extensions directory by moving all of your system extensions to the /System/Library/Extensions directory and adding the UseKernelCache=Yes to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist. While this may not seem related to your issue, this simple modification has helped many in booting their previously "unbootable" Lions as the OS X 10.7 handles its boot up kext caches quite differently than its predecessors.

Lion and snowleopard boot very well with only fakesmc if i use chameleon rc5 r760.
The problem lies before even booting lion. chameleon just don't show its start menu at all. as if my graphic card isn't plugged in. (and don't tell osx that it exists too) :wacko:
I can provide all infos requested like the dumped connectors configuration or else to anyone close to chameleon development to reinstate my card native support like it was before. I just don't know who to approach.

<Update! Culprit found: its the Resolution module finally!! >
Deleting it allows chameleon to boot effortlessly Lion and have my graphic card works natively
It seems the graphic module refuse my 15" samsung CRT monitor
<Thanks for your help DarwinX :) >

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,008 posts
Package Installer has now been updated for further testing. Now at rev1640 and replaces the previous v1630.

The changes include:
- Improved to the way it looks for previous installations and it now looks on the EFI system partition for the stage 2 loader (if relevant for the particular disk you're installing to).
- Added extra wording to the install log to help give a concise report.
- exclusive boot options are now enabled for resolutions and keylayouts. The options will look enabled when the menu is collapsed, but the enabled options are selecting 'None'. This means that running the installer and selecting the default settings will install Chameleon only - nothing else will be installed.
- The installer has had a facelift.
- The English (only) text has undergone some changes.

For most users, it's NOT recommended installing Chameleon to more than one partition of the same disk.
However, new users might just do that and then get confused when changes to some files aren't reflected on next boot, or worse still, the system fails to boot. It's for this reason that I would like confident / experienced testers to try out using this installer to install Chameleon to more than one partition on the same disk to see if the scripts help prevent encountering any issues.
Before attempting this though, make sure you have a backup method of booting your system. Either a secondary HDD or bootable USB flash drive that you've verified as working.

As before,
To anyone who would like to test this, please do so on a test rig and understand that this is a beta.
If for any unlikely reason that data loss should occur, I will not be held responsible. You test this at your own risk.

Source is available from: http://forge.voodoop...anches/blackosx

I look forward to hearing any feedback.
Thanks

(removed: 25th October)

UPDATE:
20th October 16:40 - Updated now to rev1655
Includes the latest Chameleon binaries which have JrCs posted fix for iCloud/Facetime when using RAID.
Package installer changes since rev1640 are just changes to the credits file and some internal structure changes.

(removed: 25th October)

EDIT:
Lastest test package at post #1043

MiMe

MiMe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

thx for that great job done.

I face a small problem with it. Maybe it's a bug or a just a config
issue.

My osx86 box is running Chameleon_2.1svn_r1640 from usb boot stick
loading Lion from internal GPT HD.

Chameleon starts and shows me correctly 2 OS X installation :
"hd(1,3) Lion" and "hd(1,6) Lion Test". Booting fails sometimes
with "Can't find /mach_kernel". This indicates missing root device.
Booting with "rd=disk0s3" succeeded after second try!!

It seems to me that order of disks are messed up.

I tried to specify rd by uuid in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist as
args of Kernel Flags. Neither "rd=<UUID>" nor "rd=uuid --uuid=<UUID>"
works.

I spent couple of time searching but without success.

So please help.

Thx.
Michael

My Box :
Lenovo ThinkPad x121e
i3-2357M / 4 GB RAM
internal : 320 GB / GPT / 64 Bit EFI Loading Ubuntu 11.10 via Grub
external : 1 GB USB / MBR / Loading Lion

jack kyle

jack kyle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

thx for that great job done.

I face a small problem with it. Maybe it's a bug or a just a config
issue.

My osx86 box is running Chameleon_2.1svn_r1640 from usb boot stick
loading Lion from internal GPT HD.

"hd(1,3) Lion" and "hd(1,6) Lion Test". Booting fails sometimes
with "Can't find /mach_kernel". This indicates missing root device.
Booting with "rd=disk0s3" succeeded after second try!!

It seems to me that order of disks are messed up.

I tried to specify rd by uuid in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist as
args of Kernel Flags. Neither "rd=<UUID>" nor "rd=uuid --uuid=<UUID>"
works.

I spent couple of time searching but without success.

So please help.

Thx.
Michael

My Box :
Lenovo ThinkPad x121e
i3-2357M / 4 GB RAM
internal : 320 GB / GPT / 64 Bit EFI Loading Ubuntu 11.10 via Grub
external : 1 GB USB / MBR / Loading Lion

same for me before.
when chameleon starts it uses (in my case) hd(1,1) but inside osx the partion becames hd(2,1). I did many trial and errors (have 3hdd) till I had the correct boot, hide and rename partition hd(x,x) (I rename the win7 100MB to win7 instead of system reserved since win boot lays there.
as for my bios config I setup winhdd, then chameleon hdd. (Windows bootloader first to keep hybernate).
but you have a laptop with one hdd so I don't know if it remains hd(0,x) or becames hd(1,x) inside osx.
use -v in cham-boot to check what number it uses there and fdisk in osx to see if its the same.

1640 installer is still alpha and buggy[should read blackosx release post ;p ] (empty chameleon.boot.plist no copy back extensions and if you install it twice (in my case) it just stops creating the extra folder even though the log says it did (elevation prob?).
try installing first chameleon rc5 r760, copy the extra folder (just in case) and then without reboot reinstall chameleon 2.1 r1640. Its what I did to get back the new cham files (modules...)

hope it helps :)

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,008 posts

"hd(1,3) Lion" and "hd(1,6) Lion Test".

Hi MiMe

Where are those numbers taken from? as Chameleon will use the device list presented by the BIOS and not OS X. If you stick with those number's then Chameleon will do as you ask. OS X is known to show (sometimes) the drives in a different order to that from BIOS.

To see the numbering that Chameleon uses, press the TAB key when at the GUI mode.

Hi jack kyle

Thanks for testing. See reply to MiMe for drive order query. For reference, I have two HDD's and sometimes OS X shows hd(0) as disk0 and hd(1) as disk1, on another boot they could be reversed.

1640 installer is still alpha and buggy[should read blackosx release post ;p ] (empty chameleon.boot.plist no copy back extensions and if you install it twice (in my case) it just stops creating the extra folder even though the log says it did (elevation prob?).
try installing first chameleon rc5 r760, copy the extra folder (just in case) and then without reboot reinstall chameleon 2.1 r1640. Its what I did to get back the new cham files (modules...)

I guess it's all down to expectations for the installer. It's designed to create a fresh install, not to upgrade a previous install. Maybe I could look at the merging of an existing /Extra folder if that's wanted by the majority?

If you run the installer only selecting 'Standard' or 'EFI' from the Chameleon Bootloader menu, then it will just install the boot loader, leaving any current /Extra folder intact and you should be able to just reboot.

If you select to install the Bootloader and another item from the list that lives in the /Extra folder, for example a Module, then the installer will create a new /Extra folder and a blank org.chameleon.Boot.plist for you to build upon. Any existing /Extra folder will be backed up so you can replace items if wanted.

If you select boot options/kernel flags from the installer menu then the new org.chameleon.Boot.plist will be populated with those selections.

MiMe

MiMe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Hi jack kyle & blackosx,

thanks for your posts.

Changing boot order (internal hdd before usb hdd; choosing boot device by
pressing F11) inside BIOS does not help.

IMHO problem is from Chameleon because OS X (which is mach_kernel)
can't be started. Which Chameleon routine is starting /mach_kernel?
It seems to me that this function is using another way to distinguish hdd
than function that is getting hdd info from BIOS.

If Chameleon can't start /mach_kernel it also won't be able to read
/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist from same partition. This makes sense
to me.

Booting from external CDROM (rBoot-LE-1.0.1) works like a charm. Unfortunately
I can't remember whether LION is hd(0,3) or hd(1,3). (I can test it tomorrow.)
Probadly - which makes sense - it will be hd(0,3) and there'll no hdd disorder.

Yes I do know that it's a alpha release. My workaround (typing twice rd=disk0s3)
works. I'm more and less fine but WAF could be highly improved ;-)

Unfortunately 64 Bit GRUB2 inside EFI can't boot MBR. Thus I do need USB
stick.

Thanks a lot again.
MiMe

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,008 posts

Changing boot order (internal hdd before usb hdd; choosing boot device by
pressing F11) inside BIOS does not help.

Hi MiMe

From a quick Google search I read there have been a few suggested solutions to your problem posted:

- One being to swap the ports the HDD's are plugged in to?
- Another to add the following key/string to org.chameleon.Boot.plist (numbers depend on your system)
Default Partition
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
- or add the device to the kernel flags as you are already doing.
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=diskXsX</string>
- There's also skip_partno patch which may or may not help you. I don't know as I've never used it.

IMHO problem is from Chameleon because OS X (which is mach_kernel)
can't be started. Which Chameleon routine is starting /mach_kernel?
It seems to me that this function is using another way to distinguish hdd
than function that is getting hdd info from BIOS.

You can find the code at http://forge.voodoop...tree/HEAD/trunk
I don't know exactly where to point you without reading through the code myself but maybe look in /i386/boot2/ for either boot.c or mboot.c

Another suggestion could be to install Chameleon HDD then use it to chain load GRUB. but GRUB will need to be installed to the partition and not MBR.

Yes I do know that it's a alpha release.

The release I have in this thread for testing is only for the package installer code. The Chameleon code itself is far from an alpha release and is in continuous development. You can always post your issues here.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,008 posts
I've made a quick update to the installer to now rev1655 which includes the latest Chameleon binaries.
See post #1033 for the download.

ErmaC

ErmaC

• Supervisors
  • 4,530 posts

I've made a quick update to the installer to now rev1655 which includes the latest Chameleon binaries.
See post #1033 for the download.

Update the first post with new info.

THX Blackosx.

Fabio

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bootloader, Chameleon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy