Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

I got AllocateKernelMemory error after upgrading to r2549. I was able to boot normally using r2510. I tried to use r2549 on both Yosemite and Mavericks but got the same error. I tried to boot with and without -f but still got the error. I don't have any extra module installed.

post-83241-0-20883200-1422740466_thumb.jpg

My org.chameleon.Boot.plist is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920x1080x32</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 dart=0</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>USBBusFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Also, when r2549 is loading, it gives an warning saying that it cannot find the background image or something. r2510 did not have this issue.

I got AllocateKernelMemory error after upgrading to r2549. I was able to boot normally using r2510. I tried to use r2549 on both Yosemite and Mavericks but got the same error. I tried to boot with and without -f but still got the error. I don't have any extra module installed.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>USBBusFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Also, when r2549 is loading, it gives an warning saying that it cannot find the background image or something. r2510 did not have this issue.

I get the same error and I asked about chris1111 he said that there is no fault in him, Chameleon r2510 it works well and without errors.

I get the same error and I asked about chris1111 he said that there is no fault in him, Chameleon r2510 it works well and without errors.

To add to this, I can boot into single mode using -s, but both -x and -f do not work.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>USBBusFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

@Keny Hu hi!

I got the same error as you do in a photo

http://shrani.si/f/34/oO/1sLsuy1h/img003.jpg

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>USBBusFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

the same error but the r2530 version working great

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>USBBusFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

its work but its boot file of r2530 version. there is any newest one :thumbsup_anim:

Hi,

got the same probs with v2570 recently... using the installer.

Right now I am at v2570 from one week old trunk (and tested ENOCH either, Micky...) both are working again.

I do not know what changed, but it works right now (using any theme and the "regular" modules).

Perhaps this helps.

Edit: I thought someone like ErMac or Micky had posted the installer PLUS the i386 Folder version - for Chameleon wizard users - on the board, but only the installer version appears. So compiling the trunk or the ENOCH branch helped me out...

I do not know if the installer made a mistake, because the log showed no error or problem.

Edited by wartomato
  • Like 1

wartomato thanks again for your test.

Yes, what I want to understand if is the problem coming from the user Theme, but no one seem to have understant this, except you :wink_anim:

Hi all,

strange enough the installer of v2571 ENOCH installed well (with the default theme), but I got the same problems while booting up BEFORE I used the patched v2530 boot.

I installed chameleon v2570 directly to my disks using the installer and it failed to load. Neither did ENOCH v2570.

BUT I downloaded v2571 of ENOCH and installed it (first) to a USB Stick including all my files (and the themes).

It booted fine since then... even using a custom theme.

This did the trick for me.

So I installed ENOCH v2571 over v2570 on the disks and the boot went well.

Afterwards I downloaded trunk of Chameleon v2570, compiled and installed it over v2571 (using Chameleon Wizard).

Since then: Booting does not fail and everything is fine.

...as I am using old themes, the "boot hang" does not seem to come from these themes. The characteristic of the failure was - at least on my machine - similar to my last one (rotating bar or bubble (ENOCH) stops on the black screen).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ErmaC

Chameleon KP on AppleEFINVRAM when booting x86. This has been discussed before http://forge.voodoop...eon/issues/342/ and http://forge.voodoop...eon/issues/366/

Thanks

Pls test this boot:

Just replace the boot file (Chameleon or Enoch) use latest revision (2588) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/category/7-bootloaders/

Chameleon -> Chameleon.boot.2588_Test.zip

Enoch -> Enoch.boot.2588_Test.zip

Let me know.

ErmaC

• Like 1

Then, the problem is solved! :shock:

it did for me. i dont think source of trunk and ErmaC build is the same (correct me if im wrong)

Update: I think i got mixed up with different builds i was trying to complie. It now gives me the same problem again :( sorry for the false info. It says something like:

/Extra/Preboot.dmg... 
Ramdisk contains no partition...
Memory allocation error xxxxxx GUI.c Line 571

Hello ErmaC

Chameleon KP on AppleEFINVRAM when booting x86. This has been discussed before http://forge.voodoop...eon/issues/342/ and http://forge.voodoop...eon/issues/366/

Thanks

i checked what luxinhaus posted and got the same error on my x32 machine

a self compiled chameleon does not give AllocateKernelMemory while ErmaC's package does

Hi: 

In my case, a chameleon rev downloaded using Chameleon Wizard 4.4.1 (rev 2538) also is free of the error. Another observation: After completing the install of chameleon using the installers (ermaC or enoch) the boot file is visible at the root of the hard drive while it is not happening using the chameleon wizard app.

it did for me. i dont think source of trunk and ErmaC build is the same (correct me if im wrong)

Was a joke :). Anyway a differents is that ErmaC probably has a different and updated NASM assembler... 

Probably you have the older and standard one

Update: I think i got mixed up with different builds i was trying to complie. It now gives me the same problem again  :( sorry for the false info. It says something like:

/Extra/Preboot.dmg...

Ramdisk contains no partition...

Memory allocation error xxxxxx GUI.c Line 571

i checked what luxinhaus posted and got the same error on my x32 machine

Can you please post all the Extra folder(s) you have in all volumes??? And what method have you used to install OSX??

It seem is attepping to read a bad Preboot.dmg.... that can be hidden... And I have some suspects on the theme you are using..

Another observation: After completing the install of chameleon using the installers (ermaC or enoch) the boot file is visible at the root of the hard drive while it is not happening using the chameleon wizard app.

Can be the opposite???

this is the part of code in the script that install the stage2 (boot) in Chameleon/Enoch:

# Writing stage 2

WRITE_STAGE2() {

if  [ $InstallBootloader = "1" ];then

echo -e "${mainLine}\nWRITING STAGE 2:"

cp -R "${i386Dir}/${stage2Loader}" "${choicedVolume}/"  

chflags hidden "${choicedVolume}/${stage2Loader}"      

echo "Stage 2 (boot) writed to ${choicedVolume}."

fi

}

chflags is a command that change the "file flags" and "hidden" option is defined in the man page as "hidden  set the hidden flag [Hide item from GUI]".

Probably Chameleon Wizard live the boot file visible, instead the official Installer hide it. Is not a bug, is wanted!

@Micky1979

I will once i get home :) but one thing for sure, its vanilla method done using createinstallmedia and used Ermac's package which resulted to this error. theme is default with no modules installed. fakesmc is installed in /s/l/e, no kexts in /extra/extensions.

@ErmaC

Tested  the 2 Test build and 2 latest version. All of them got  AllocateKernelMemory

Therefore i cant tell if my issue was fixed

So the change I made in this TEST revision...  failed

So due to the big gap between the "x86"  A.K.A. working version for 2248 and the actual 2588 is a lot of code to review...

I need your help to know exactly witch was latest working version of Chameleon and witch version the problem starting from...

Probably I do some error (I'm human after all ;-)).....

After determining the "buggy" commit I/we can try to work on FIX it...

This process need the ability to compile by yourself the source from the SVN

A quick guide:

Download and compile "old" revision (in this example 2248)

Fireup your terminal and create a dir called 2248. . cds that folder:

then

svn co -r 2248 http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/trunk/
cd trunk
make distclean
make

your compiled binary are stored into sym/i386 subfolder

install it manually or using Chameleon Wizard

Let me know where the problem (revision) start for you.

Cordially

ErmaC

• Like 1

Hi ErmaC I think the last revision have some trouble

Your can"t select only No Boot because is shift to Standard or EFi  :blush:

With the old revision thats possible to select only NoBoot

y10.jpg

Sorry but you are totally wrong because I think you need and want decides what to do and where. (no????)

• Standard = install to target volume
  • Install Chameleon in the ESP = install to the ESP of the parent disk of the target Volume (maybe only the title/description must be modified to something like "Install selected options in the ESP")

If you want write something in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist (or install modules) in the target volume or in its ESP, without installing the bootloader, you have to select "Dont install the bootloader" = "ne pas installer le chargeur de ...", but always choosing where: ESP or target volume
No?? :P 

EDIT
same behavior for the Clover installer:
clover.png
and basically same identical description

With the old revision thats possible to select only NoBoot

Yes, because there was only one target, now you can choose  :angel: (anyway "Standard" = target volume is the default)

EDIT II
*if the disk of the selected Volume does not have any EFI partition (the case for MBR partition scheme), and you have selected "Install to ESP"  the installer automatically redirect to the target volume.

*@Ermac this behavior, if unwelcome, can be changed simply aborting the installation.

• Like 1