Is it safe to update to OS X 10.6.4?

Phoen!x

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm new here but that'll be obvious thing :blink:

Anyways I have a hackintosh that's currently running 10.6 (retail copy) on a AMD processor, so I'm wondering if it is safe to update to 10.6.4 update as I want to use certain applications that require the updates from 10.6.2+ but seeing as I'm new to all this I don't want to update and screw my install up. So if you guys can tell me or point me in the right direction if it's cool to go ahead with the update.

Here's my specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940BE Quad-Core @ 3GHz (Default) O/C @ 3.62GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte MX790X series

Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate, 500GB Seagate, 1TB Western Digital

RAM: 4GB DDR2 Dual-Channel

The PC is a custom built by myself...So if you need to know more info then ask away and if I need to use Terminal to patch stuff or whatever then I'm cool with that I'm no noob when it comes to that sort of stuff, just need clearance from someone who knows if 10.6.4 is safe to update on my system without getting a "Kernel Panic" or worse the "Blank Screen" etc.

So thanks in advance - peace!

i couldn't tell you too much about updating an AMD system, but i would say go ahead as along as you are sure you have a working full time machine backup copy of your current 10.6.0 working system on an EXTERNAL hard drive

that way if things don't work you always have something to fall back on

i couldn't tell you too much about updating an AMD system, but i would say go ahead as along as you are sure you have a working full time machine backup copy of your current 10.6.0 working system on an EXTERNAL hard drive

that way if things don't work you always have something to fall back on

Thanks for your reply, I will go ahead with the update and see what happens unfortunately I don't have a backup of my current install but to be honest it wouldn't bother me if I had to do a reinstall/reformat (being a windows user you get use to that quicker than you think!)

Will report back.

Again thanks for the reply.

wow, windows that bad for you? what windows are you using? if its not 7 you got to try it!

Haha, I'm using a multi-boot system at the moment with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 all three are ok just Vista is the trouble one but what surprise is that?

While on the subject, is there any way of getting Chameleon working I know I should start a new thread but I guess it kinda related in some way...

But Chameleon detects my Windows drives and OS X so if I click on OS X black screen and PC reboots, doesn't even attempt to execute OS X???