• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

NickMiller

NickMiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hey Guys! Now that I have successfully created my Hackintosh desktop (Snow Leopard Woot!!), I plan to hackintosh a laptop next. All I want is a cheap Pentium 4 laptop that will be able to run Mac OS X 10.4.8 or newer (I really want at least 10.5 Leopard, but Tiger will do). I want to make this a school laptop so I need it to be able to use the internet over Wi-fi and to be able to install a version of Office for Mac (Hopefully Office 2008, but '04 will do also). My school is 99.5% Macs so having a PC that runs OS X will be awesome! I would like the laptop to be able to be bought on ebay for less than $150 (That's why I specified Pentium 4) Thanks in Advance, Nick

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Looking for a Pentium 4 level laptop for a hackitnosh is not gonna work.

If you can't afford a modern Core 2 Duo notebook, then really you only have one good option: Go get a Dell Mini 9:

http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories

It has been over a year since the Mini 9 took the hackintoshing world by storm. The project for it is dead (since they are no longer being made) but all the work is still there for you to use:

http://code.google.c...iki/Mini9_Kexts

Since a Atom processor is about as powerful as a Pentium 4 this is a good equivalent. If you want a larger screen, you are gonna HAVE TO spend more like $300....

neil43

neil43

Grey Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
I agree you need something later then P4. Of interest I have 10.5.8 running on a Dell D430 laptop with video acceleration. WiFi works as does wired Ethernet. I used IPC 10.5.6 final as a starting point. I have seen 430's on Craigslist for $300 to $400. Dell D620's will also run 10.5.x and are generally available for around $300.

neil

ronin1770

ronin1770

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,

I am planning to buy Dell Inspiron N5010 Corei5

Would you guys recommend it for running Mac OS X

want to do heavy iPhone/iPAD Dev

Thanks

NickMiller

NickMiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hmm, I like the idea of a Dell netbook, but It's not what I need. I need a DVD drive to install OS X from because I don't have a OS X Machine to copy the DVD to the USB Stick. Can anyone refer me laptop based on the new requirements.

Updated Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.4.8 or newer
Working Wi-fi
Working Sound (It's not that big of a deal though :/)
All Resolutions (I don't really care about all the fancy enhancements.. This will be used for Word Processing/Internet Browsing)
Under $150

Nameci

Nameci

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Uniwill S20II or Hasee W230N... notebook with GM965 chipset which would have X3100 as gfx card. Easier to hack since they are ICH8M. More compatible with macbook4,1. Just like mine.

enochpc

enochpc

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I would suggest a Dell Inspiron 1525. Ebay for 150 to 200, core2duo, wifi, and hacks well. Also, will run Snow Retail, so that's a plus.

presence

presence

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Well, they aren't exactly cheap but I was looking at spending around 7-800$ for a 12.1 to 14 inch laptop with decent power.

What I've found so far that looks promising is:

http://tinyurl.com/39yu9k6 and http://tinyurl.com/243gz8n

Still have to do some research though :D

eldouche

eldouche

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Classic BMWs<br />MacOS X<br />Web Development<br />Web UI Design

I would suggest a Dell Inspiron 1525. Ebay for 150 to 200, core2duo, wifi, and hacks well. Also, will run Snow Retail, so that's a plus.

I'm running 10.6.4 on a Dell 1525. I paid $200 on craigslist, and don't regret a thing.

I followed this guide:

http://www.dailyblog...allation-guide/

NickMiller

NickMiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
What do you guys think about a Dell Inspiron e1505? Is it Snow Leopard compatible? I might be getting one for free soon :)

miba2

miba2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Веst of notebooks - the Asus K40In, http://santechniki.com/topic7565.html hi score of greekbench

McVerse

McVerse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I agree you need something later then P4. Of interest I have 10.5.8 running on a Dell D430 laptop with video acceleration. WiFi works as does wired Ethernet. I used IPC 10.5.6 final as a starting point. I have seen 430's on Craigslist for $300 to $400. Dell D620's will also run 10.5.x and are generally available for around $300.

neil

I have 10.6.3 Retail DVD and I am having a hard time installing it on D430. Neil43, is there a Boot132.ISO image on this forum that I can use for D430?

projekt k

projekt k

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
you could go that cheap with a desktop easy but you are dealing with mobile components here. anything small cost more money. That dell mentioned above, the 1525 i believe it was is probably your best best. I have found on Windows OS things heavily rely on the components in your computer. I believe OS X to be a beast compared to Windows on most components. I would definitely go with at least 10.5 being that when I first got into hackintoshing there was a little more to it before leopard. So if you go with Tiger or below with an older system you may find yourself doing more actual hacking rather than just applying simple kexts.

the0master

the0master

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey Guys! Now that I have successfully created my Hackintosh desktop (Snow Leopard Woot!!)...

...I need a DVD drive to install OS X from because I don't have a OS X Machine to copy the DVD to the USB Stick...

??????

NickMiller

NickMiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

??????

Well, I had to format the OS X partition on my Desktop because I screwed up the graphics .kext files... I lost my SL DVD, but I now have it installed again so that is not a problem :(

ricardoplugins

ricardoplugins

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
has anyone have used an i7 laptop or notebook for hackintosh succesfully working ??
in that case I hope you can post the model and brand
Thank you. skydivemail@yahoo.com

neil

seems like you have some i7 hackintosh, is any of them a laptop or notebook i7 successfully working, in that case which model and brand ??

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy