Radeon 5970 Snow Leopard Instructions

Spanky Deluxe

75 posts in this topic

10.6.5 working fine here. Running the update straight from my patched 10.6.4 install crashed but I managed to fix it in the end.

The safest route for 5970 users to update is the following:

1. Download combo update.

2. Use Pacifist to extract all ATI* files to a working folder.

3. Apply modifications as described in the original post.

4. Remove all ATI kexts from /S/L/E.

5. Run Kext Utility.

6. Reboot.

7. Run combo install package (don't reboot yet though - keep the screen open).

8. Copy over your modified ATI* files from step 3 to /S/L/E.

9. Run Kext Utility (maybe repair file permissions for good measure).

10. Click reboot in the combo installer.

That should do it. If you run the combo installer with your modified 10.6.4 drivers loaded then you risk a system crash during the install. If you've gone that route then you'll need to boot into single user mode, remove ATI kexts, remove caches, reboot and reinstall combo update + steps from above.

If in doubt or it's not working, boot into single user, remove ATI*, remove the two mkext files and boot up into VESA mode. As I've mentioned before in this thread, my system has been particularly sensitive to playing around with the ATI drivers. Applying modifications when they're not loaded has been far more successful and not running kext utility after installing kexts lead to misery.

P.S. Still no triple head support on 5970 in 10.6.5.

Spanky, do you know if your method is viable to disable the second GPU of a crossfire configuration? Apple new hardware is compatible with crossfire but i guess it would be less trouble to use only one card (and so far, a single one is not easily supported).

Thanks.

Spanky, do you know if your method is viable to disable the second GPU of a crossfire configuration? Apple new hardware is compatible with crossfire but i guess it would be less trouble to use only one card (and so far, a single one is not easily supported).

Thanks.

It should disable all non primary graphics cards - well should stop them from getting drivers loaded. Definitely worth a shot, put in the X3000 bit and see what happens.

Hay spanky,

Im having a problem with the fan kicking in. and it doesnt boot. I have followed your instructions to the t. Will you help me work this out?

I would really help if someone would post the exact pkg that needs to be installed. or the kexts that need to be installed.

RIght after I post this I update my profile.

Can't help much right now since it's 5:30am here and I need to get to bed! Your symptoms sound like the bios file isn't getting read in right. If you're using the initial method I posted and are using a downloaded bios file then you might want to try another bios or dump your one one. You could also try the other bootloader I think I mentioned somewhere in here (there's another topic on it too) that doesn't need the rom dump. I can't give you the link right now though because I'm posting from my phone.

Can't help much right now since it's 5:30am here and I need to get to bed! Your symptoms sound like the bios file isn't getting read in right. If you're using the initial method I posted and are using a downloaded bios file then you might want to try another bios or dump your one one. You could also try the other bootloader I think I mentioned somewhere in here (there's another topic on it too) that doesn't need the rom dump. I can't give you the link right now though because I'm posting from my phone.

Now I am getting a kernel panic as shown. I just cant figure this out. spanky can you help me?

edit ~

Either a double panic or stuck on waiting for windowed start. Graphics are not loading.

post-663759-1290237534_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Spanky,

KUDOS for your clear Radeon 5970 Snow Leopard Instructions! -_-

I'm trying to put my own "MacPro OS86X" system together based on following hardware:

• evga Classified SR-2 mobo with 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor X5680 (12M Cache, 3.33 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI, LGA1366)
  • 2 x X-Fired ASUS ARES/2DIS/4GD5 (Dual Radeon HD 5870 with 4GB GDDR5) GPU's

I'm aware that I won't be able to use any of the X-fired stuff under Mac OSX but I would be very happy if I could already have it up and running as a plain 5870. I'll use the full power under Windows 7 only :graduated:

I've managed to boot into Mac OSX 10.6.5 with the latest Chameleon 2.0 RC5 (r654), Trauma and Kabil boot file (with or w/o loading a 1002_689c.rom which I dumped with GPU-Z under Windows 7). However, I always end up running in VESA mode (no QE/IC and limited resolution)... :hysterical:

I've tried the ATI stuff from the SnowLeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0 as well as those from 10.6.5 (with modified ATIRadeonX3000.kext and ATI5000Controller.kext as per your guide).

I also tried with a single ASUS ARES card and got to the same result as with the X-fired setup.

To be quite honest I don't really know what to try next. According to Kabil the .ioreg looks the same as the standard 5970 so I don't really know why it doesn't work for my setup. The only thing that really differs from the standard 5970 card (in my opinion) is the 2GByte per GPU (against 1GByte in the standard 5970).

I was hoping you could look into it and hopefully give some suggestions or ideas.

I've attached some info that may be useful to you.

Your support his highly appreciated.

Greetz,

Bruno

Archive.zip

• 2 weeks later...
I have the mini Displayport working at 1080p. If I remove the cable or change the definition I get a monitor error.

almost a month ago, but should you drop by again, could you kindly share how you went about making the miniDP to work? Would greatly appreciate it :)

hmmm, since this method of Spanky's works well, Its nice to have installer that automates all steps, BIOS extraction, installing Kexts, setup of card info strings, optimizing etc :) yeah? I'll try some... :)

PackageIcon.jpg

http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/PackageMaker_Howto.html

I second this completely, I SO need to get my 5870 working but all this tech talk is a foreign language to me as I only speak english, Ive read a lot but I still dont have a clue, please can someone turn kabyl's method into an installer ? ? ?

almost a month ago, but should you drop by again, could you kindly share how you went about making the miniDP to work? Would greatly appreciate it :P

it was far from reliable. I am away from home for the next few days but as soon as I get home and have some time to recompile my thoughts I will post the boot file. I believe it was this said boot file that permitted the mdp to work. I also edited the *5000*kext with the code that restricts the second gpu from working. I doubt the second of my two Ideas had anything to do with it, but whatever I did it worked. Now all I get is a corrupt signal to the monitor that prevents it from working. I was too preoccupied with my main monitor not working and the port I had the mdp plugged into was second rate. I went an reformatted my hd and have not attempted to play with the mdp at all. Like I said I will post the boot file soon.

it was far from reliable. I am away from home for the next few days but as soon as I get home and have some time to recompile my thoughts I will post the boot file. I believe it was this said boot file that permitted the mdp to work. I also edited the *5000*kext with the code that restricts the second gpu from working. I doubt the second of my two Ideas had anything to do with it, but whatever I did it worked. Now all I get is a corrupt signal to the monitor that prevents it from working. I was too preoccupied with my main monitor not working and the port I had the mdp plugged into was second rate. I went an reformatted my hd and have not attempted to play with the mdp at all. Like I said I will post the boot file soon.

Hey, so glad you paid this thread another visit :(

You disabled the 2nd GPU from the 5000 kext instead of the 3000?? When you return from your trip, could you also, point out what you did? :)

Hope I didn't catch you wrong, but did the 5000 kext edit cause you to lose your connection? I'd presume the connection to your main would be to your Bravia? :)

Looking forward to our return.... and have a safe trip :)

Hey, so glad you paid this thread another visit :)

You disabled the 2nd GPU from the 5000 kext instead of the 3000?? When you return from your trip, could you also, point out what you did? :)

Hope I didn't catch you wrong, but did the 5000 kext edit cause you to lose your connection? I'd presume the connection to your main would be to your Bravia? :)

Looking forward to our return.... and have a safe trip :)

i did both the 5000 and 3000

Was it done by adding the same syntax as what is added to the 3000?

Same thing. just copy and paste. for the 5xxx and 3xxx I noticed it seems to run better I dont know if you are supposed to do this or I am blatantly doing something wrong.

here is the boot file. It runs at 64 bit I dont think 32 will work. so boot arch=x86_64 good luck. just pm me the results. unless you think they need to be in the forum.

boot.zip

Same thing. just copy and paste. for the 5xxx and 3xxx I noticed it seems to run better I dont know if you are supposed to do this or I am blatantly doing something wrong.

here is the boot file. It runs at 64 bit I dont think 32 will work. so boot arch=x86_64 good luck. just pm me the results. unless you think they need to be in the forum.

boot.zip

Thanks a bunch, sorandom!

I am real close to giving up... matter of fact, I'm already in Windows now (truly miss the full 2560x1440 res)

Your method would probably the last thing I'd try before truly giving up.

Will let you know how it goes? Fingers crossed! ^^x

Thanks again :)

• 3 months later...

Has anyone managed to the the mini displayport working yet? I've got all 3 screens detected with QE/CI working but the displayport monitor just goes into standby and says 'no signal from your computer'.

If I do a screen shot, 3 different pictures are created and I can see what should be on the 3rd monitor which means its definitely there so I'm not sure why no signal is being sent. I had to create a patched ati personality to get all 3 detected and have been messing around with the display port part but nothing seems to make a difference.

• 4 months later...

okey i used this method with 10.7 Lion ,but just didn't add those lines in ATIRadeonX3000.kext to disable 2nd GPU and it STILL WORKED FINE! However, sysinfo still showing 1024 MB GPU memory so it mean second core is still disabled by default? Is there any way to use 2nd core?

• 1 month later...
okey i used this method with 10.7 Lion ,but just didn't add those lines in ATIRadeonX3000.kext to disable 2nd GPU and it STILL WORKED FINE! However, sysinfo still showing 1024 MB GPU memory so it mean second core is still disabled by default? Is there any way to use 2nd core?

Hi,

I tried to install the 5970 on Lion, did the Tutorial Step by Step, but screwed up on the new Boot file after replacement with Boot9. So now the system wont boot, ending up on reinstall OSX. Any Ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

planetetv, try removing the modification to the X3000 kext. It looks like it is no longer necessary and may be what's causing your GPU to overheat. I've noticed some instabilities on my system and suspected the same issue as yours (although I can't check GPU temps in OSX). I've removed the X3000 modification and so far it seems to be fine. Still no MDP joy though.

Truth be told, I should really get rid of my 5970 in favour of a single GPU as I've got a GTX590 Windows box just a combo click away through a KVM switcher. I haven't used the second GPU of my 5970 in about half a year! I'll probably wait until the ATI 7xxx series comes out now though.