GTX 285 only 1/2 the speed of GTX 260 in Cinebench

TomBuntu

46 posts in this topic

This really puzzles me. I changed my GTX 260 to GTX 285 and am only getting about half the OpenGL performance. I tried installing the Nvida driver, but it didn't make a difference. Why would the 285 perform way slower than a 260? It benchmarks fine under Windows 7. Any ideas? Thanks.

-Tom

This really puzzles me. I changed my GTX 260 to GTX 285 and am only getting about half the OpenGL performance. I tried installing the Nvida driver, but it didn't make a difference. Why would the 285 perform way slower than a 260? It benchmarks fine under Windows 7. Any ideas? Thanks.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

can you post your PC Configuration and your Test results of both Cards?

BR

QuattroFX

Hi there,

P6T SE mobo

6GB RAM

980x CPU

10.6.4 Snow Leopard (Vanilla kernel 64 bit)

Latest chameleon (with the included enabler, I take it)

Getting about 30 fps with the gtx 260 and 15 fps with gtx 285 ;)

On Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit I get about 40 fps with the gtx 285.

Thanks,

-Tom

it's the same here. XFX 285 only 15fps in CB 11.5 on 10.6.4. Very disappointing :(

GFX update without any advantage !

What brand of GTX 285 do u have ?

Until today no one confirmed that a EVGA GTX285 on "real" MacPro perfomance is ok.

Someome ?

I noticed the same thing!

I have been using Carti's BIOS for my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard.

Everything seems to work perfectly.

No kexts or dsdt was needed to get the video card working with QE/CI.

I installed the nvidia driver and the CUDA drivers from nvidia.

Adobe CS5 (the only program I know that uses CUDA) appears to use the only CUDA feature (Mercury Video Rendering Engine).

I will post screenshots soon.

Any help guys?

Hi there,

P6T SE mobo

6GB RAM

980x CPU

10.6.4 Snow Leopard (Vanilla kernel 64 bit)

Latest chameleon (with the included enabler, I take it)

Getting about 30 fps with the gtx 260 and 15 fps with gtx 285 :thumbsup_anim:

On Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit I get about 40 fps with the gtx 285.

Thanks,

-Tom

Hi Tom,

I am using Netkas EFI 10.6 instead of chameleon and injecting with this strings:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

in my com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra.

You can try it also and post the results.

Cheers

QuattroFX

Hi Guys,

I noticed that all those who have motherboards with P45 or X58 chipset have problems with this card working

properly. Only P55 Chipset Systems working correctly.

I think the problem should be sought in the relationship between NVidia drivers and chipset.

BR

QuattroFX

Hi Guys,

I noticed that all those who have motherboards with P45 or X58 chipset have problems with this card working

properly. Only P55 Chipset Systems working correctly.

I think the problem should be sought in the relationship between NVidia drivers and chipset.

BR

QuattroFX

No, i've a gtx 285 1gb and x58a ud3r. In cinebench i get 28 fps. You have to edit AppleGraphicPowerManagment.kext or change your smbios to macpro 3,1.

No, i've a gtx 285 1gb and x58a ud3r. In cinebench i get 28 fps. You have to edit AppleGraphicPowerManagment.kext or change your smbios to macpro 3,1.

Hi DariosF,

what do you mean with GTX 285 Over-clocked?

According to your configuration which is better as mine, you should get higher scores. I am getting 28fps.

What ´s about another Benchmark tests?

Look here for comparation:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1520780

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same situation. My baseline i7-860 system has a Zotac 9600 GT which gives a CB of +21 FPS on 64bit 10.6.4. Swap in a new EVGA GT 240 and I get a CB of 12 FPS. I here searching for the reason/solution.

neil

Isnt the GT 240 not also an lowend GPU and not faster than 9600 GT ?

CB maybe also not the best benchmark for GPUs and some gpu types may get results not "real world" (gaming & Co).

I would compare OpenGL Extensions Viewer Benches (TEST tab, benchmark + multisampling *4).

Or try http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/34981...pengl-fps-bench

It's true GT240 is weaker than the 9600GT; but it shouldn't be be by that much; maybe 10-20% at most.

Could be this particular bench though; but still.

On smallOpenGLbench you posted (thanks) I get an average of 100fps at default settings.

I concur that the GT 240 is a lesser card then the 9600 GT but I did not expect 50% loss in performance.

Using the smallOpenGLbench (new to me) running at the defaults settings until stabilization;

Scene 1 GT 240 avg 99.5; 9600 GT avg 208.5

Scene 2 GT 240 avg 280.5; 9600 GT avg 627.5

This on 10.6.4 with "NVEnabler 64.kext" in /Extra. I have the CUDA driver loaded and removed "GraphicsEnabler-yes" from com.apple.Boot.plist.

neil

I just booted in Windows and there the same GT240 that did 12fps in MacOS does 28fps :)

Also just saw that:

9800GT Win=30 fps Mac=22fps

GTS250 Win=40fps Mac=28fps

Thats just generally poor drivers though; the GT240 has yet more loss margin.

@neil43: same slow numbers in smallOpenGLbench.. (using only Graphics Enabler)

I purchased a short in length GT 240 card and it arrived today. I needed a short video card for my G4 Cube project. Anyway the EVGA card was a major dissapointment (too long and and too slow). The new card, XFX GT-240 is much better.

The XFX Gt 240 card on the OpenGL portion of Cinebench 11.5 came in as 23.95 FPS! You may recall the EVGA GT 240 scored 12 FPS a real disappointment.

Using the smallOpenGLbench running at the defaults settings until stabilization;

Scene 1 EVGA GT 240 avg 99.5; XFX GT 240 avg 222.5; 9600 GT avg 208.5

Scene 2 EVGA GT 240 avg 280.5; XFX GT 240 avg 735.5; 9600 GT avg 627.5

Actual cards are:

EVGA GT 240 part number 01G-P3-1246-LR

XFX GT 240 part number GT-240X-ZNFC

Zotac 9600 GT part number ZT-96TES3P-FDL

The test bed is the same used in posts # 14 & 17 above.

Anyway it appears to be the card or the manufacturer and not the OS X drivers after all.

neil

That's really weird as I have the XFX GT240 (512) and it does 12.3 CB fps.

Will check the part number.

Your numbers are still beind W7, but they are in proportional with every other MacOS bench, so as good as we can get for now.

Congratulations.

Do you use any special drivers? (bios settings?) I have it activated with "Graphics Enabler" and have Apples "10.6.4 graphics drivers update"..

That's really weird as I have the XFX GT240 (512) and it does 12.3 CB fps.

Will check the part number.

Your numbers are still beind W7, but they are in proportional with every other MacOS bench, so as good as we can get for now.

Congratulations.

Do you use any special drivers? (bios settings?) I have it activated with "Graphics Enabler" and have Apples "10.6.4 graphics drivers update"..

On my i7-860 test bed system, I have two bootable partitions; one with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and one with "No", both with NVEabler_64 in /E/E, OS X 10.6.4. This is on a GA-P55M-UD2 with 8GB memory. The numbers quoted are without overclocking and were nearly the same on both partitions.

I don't understand why there is such a difference. I have restored the test bed system to its normal configuration and moved the XFX card to the G4 Cube project machine where I will have to start with a fresh install.

neil

Thanks for the answer.

I will try with nVEnabler; although I never understood it's use once we had efi-strings.

Good luck with the Cube build. I have one I'd like to mod; but budget and need for space won the media center / sever bid this time.

edit: some people say they get the system profiler to display the right name by installing the Cuda drivers; will try. It's just frustrating to install extras on your otherwise fairly vanilla system.

edit2: installed latest CUDA drivers; no difference anywhere..

edit3:

Yours is a XFX GT 240 part number GT-240X-ZNFC so it has 1GB DDR3

Mine is a XFX GT 240 part number GT-240X-YHFC with 512MB DDR5

Having looked around; it seems the only difference is the ram.

Your EVGA also used DDR5; maybe there is some correlation.

Thanks a lot for the parts numbers :P

Hello there,

Yours is a XFX GT 240 part number GT-240X-ZNFC so it has 1GB DDR3

Mine is a XFX GT 240 part number GT-240X-YHFC with 512MB DDR5

Having looked around; it seems the only difference is the ram.

Your EVGA also used DDR5; maybe there is some correlation.

Thanks a lot for the parts numbers :)

I have the very same problem using an nvidia GTX 280 (plain cheap one).

My card houses 1 Go of DDR3, so I do not think the problem lies there.

However, I would very much like to get to the bottom of this as this is the last hurdle for me before my hackintosh is perfect :) and becomes my one and only computer...

Should you require any data from me, I'll be more than happy to share it with you.

Edit :

Something weird I forgot to mention, I cannot use GLview (OpenGL extensions viewer).

It will start, display the correct informations, but I could never run a test, clicking the test button will simply do nothing, however I tried.

Regards,

Clatoo