convert .dmg to iso for burning on PC

rynod

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a copy of OS X 10.6.3 retail that is a DMG file.

I do not have a mac. only a laptop running windows 7.

I am wondering how I can get this file onto a DL DVD?

I do have a copy of ideneb running through virtualbox but it does not let me burn dvds through os x.

is there some way I can convert this file to a ISO or something then transfer it back to my windows 7 and burn it as a bootable OS disk?

if not , whats another way I can do this?

Thanks.

Ryan

I was definitely in this boat before I installed Snow Leo and it can be pretty frustrating. A lot of the programs that say they can convert dmg to iso do it and result in a disk that doesn't work.

That said, UltraIso appeared on the list of said programs many times so I recently gave this a shot using a dmg for Snow Leopard. Converted to iso and burned it in ImgBurn and the result was indeed a coaster. Instead of using UltraIso to convert the dmg, I would suggest burning the dmg to dvd directly in UltraIso to avoid any translation issues. I wanted to do this myself but ran out of DL disks and managed to find an old working Snow Leo disk.

Either way, if you find success, please report back.

• 6 months later...
I was definitely in this boat before I installed Snow Leo and it can be pretty frustrating. A lot of the programs that say they can convert dmg to iso do it and result in a disk that doesn't work.

That said, UltraIso appeared on the list of said programs many times so I recently gave this a shot using a dmg for Snow Leopard. Converted to iso and burned it in ImgBurn and the result was indeed a coaster. Instead of using UltraIso to convert the dmg, I would suggest burning the dmg to dvd directly in UltraIso to avoid any translation issues. I wanted to do this myself but ran out of DL disks and managed to find an old working Snow Leo disk.

Either way, if you find success, please report back.

FYI, this worked on my Win7 x64 box, to burn a DMG of Snow Leopard 10.6.3

1. DMG2IMG (command line tool) from: http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/ to create the IMG file.

2. Then used ImgBurn (still on windows) to burn IMG to a D/L DVD.

Was able to use the resulting DVD to install SL on my Hack-a-Mac. (used HackBoot V5 and the Autopatcher for that).

-Doc