Still waiting for root device after installation

CptSlash

38 posts in this topic

That's normal, those get installed along with Mac OS. The same thing happens when you install Windows.

OS X only loads the kernel extensions and drivers that are needed.

If you run System Profiler and click 'Extensions' in the left pane you can see which kernel extensions are loaded on your Hackintosh.

Well I have at least half an hour run and no crash so far, I will watch for forward stability and update you later this night/tomorrow morning

If you have slashack's or AnV's AppleNForceATA.kext installed and have any stability issues, then go to Terminal and type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Reboot with -v -f and then use Disk Utility to repair OS X permissions............

Well the system seems much more stable since I switched to AnV's kext, I even managed to get trough the Software Update without a kernel panic. Will continue to watch the stability. I still have 3 minor issues though:

1. Front panel jack isn't working (yes I did switch trough the options but it just stopped the audio from the back channel jack

2. My Windows key doesn't seem to act like a "Mac key". For example when I try to press "Windows Key" + T in Safari nothing happens

@ CptSlash: Last time I recalled on my laptop the alt key actually turned out to be the equivalent to the command key on the mac. You can always change it from the keyboard part of the system preferences if you'd like to. And are you using a kext to load the audio or a DSDT patch for audio?