Still waiting for root device after installation

CptSlash

38 posts in this topic

Hello Forum,

I read a lot of topics about this problem, nothing helped me or I did something wrong. First I downloaded the Hazard distro for 1.0.6.2 Snow Leopard, it installed flawlessly but than it hanged at "Still waiting for root device" at the first boot. I tried rd=disk0 etc, nothing helped. In some places it said I should try a different distro so I downloaded the iAtkos S3 v2, at first i got some double panic errors at install, which allegedly got fixed by cpus=1, maxmem=2048. The install went on and again at the first boot it hangs at "Still waiting for root device". I again tried with rd=disk0, nothing happened (nor with rd=disk0s1). When I install it I make 2 partitions from the Disk Utility (one for later Windows 7 installation)

My hardware is:

Motherboard: GA-N650SLI-DS4L

CPU: Intel E6750@2.66GB's (clocked)

RAM: 4GB's

HDD: 320GB Hitachi 7200 16MB SATA

GPU: nVidia 8800GT @ 512MB GDDR3

The packages I use when I install the iAtkos S3 v2 are:

iAtkos S3 Main System

Chameleon RC4 Bootloader

Graphics Enabler

Legacy Logo

The default 5 patches

nForce SATA IDE Drivers (I tried with AHCI SATA too, still didn't work)

The default sound drivers

Network -> Wired -> nForce

-----------------------------------

This is pretty much it, the only thing left to say is that I also saw I have to do specific bios settings to my HDD,

* ATA/IDE Mode : Native

* Configure SATA as : AHCI

* S.M.A.R.T. : Enabled

the only problem being the only setting I can find in bios was the one for SMART Mode and I changed it to enabled. I'm really new to the scene, been trying to get this running for a second day now, good thing I still have my iPod.. Please help guys :)

Hello Forum,

I read a lot of topics about this problem, nothing helped me or I did something wrong. First I downloaded the Hazard distro for 1.0.6.2 Snow Leopard, it installed flawlessly but than it hanged at "Still waiting for root device" at the first boot. I tried rd=disk0 etc, nothing helped. In some places it said I should try a different distro so I downloaded the iAtkos S3 v2, at first i got some double panic errors at install, which allegedly got fixed by cpus=1, maxmem=2048. The install went on and again at the first boot it hangs at "Still waiting for root device". I again tried with rd=disk0, nothing happened (nor with rd=disk0s1). When I install it I make 2 partitions from the Disk Utility (one for later Windows 7 installation)

My hardware is:

Motherboard: GA-N650SLI-DS4L

CPU: Intel E6750@2.66GB's (clocked)

RAM: 4GB's

HDD: 320GB Hitachi 7200 16MB SATA

GPU: nVidia 8800GT @ 512MB GDDR3

The packages I use when I install the iAtkos S3 v2 are:

iAtkos S3 Main System

Chameleon RC4 Bootloader

Graphics Enabler

Legacy Logo

The default 5 patches

nForce SATA IDE Drivers (I tried with AHCI SATA too, still didn't work)

The default sound drivers

Network -> Wired -> nForce

-----------------------------------

This is pretty much it, the only thing left to say is that I also saw I have to do specific bios settings to my HDD,

* ATA/IDE Mode : Native

* Configure SATA as : AHCI

* S.M.A.R.T. : Enabled

the only problem being the only setting I can find in bios was the one for SMART Mode and I changed it to enabled. I'm really new to the scene, been trying to get this running for a second day now, good thing I still have my iPod.. Please help guys :)

I know there is a lot of reading to do but see my blog nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU install guides for distros (Snow Leopard and Leopard), and my nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU Snow Leopard Install Guide here and my Leopard nForce Pre-Series 7 thread...... :)

I will check those :D I'm just back from another reinstall, I have suspicions that my HDD doesn't support AHCI so I installed the Intel Non-AHCI driver, this time the installation ended with Installation Success (last times it just restarted), but I'm still stuck on the same message (on a different line though). And note that in my General Bios Settings my DVD is Primary Master on IDE Channel 0, and my Hard Disk is Primary Master on IDE Channel 2 (I did not find a way how to swap them, I even ended up completely turning off my DVD and switching cables, did not help). Problem still unsolved for now :/

I will check those :) I'm just back from another reinstall, I have suspicions that my HDD doesn't support AHCI so I installed the Intel Non-AHCI driver, this time the installation ended with Installation Success (last times it just restarted), but I'm still stuck on the same message (on a different line though). And note that in my General Bios Settings my DVD is Primary Master on IDE Channel 0, and my Hard Disk is Primary Master on IDE Channel 2 (I did not find a way how to swap them, I even ended up completely turning off my DVD and switching cables, did not help). Problem still unsolved for now :/

AFAIK your GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4L MOBO has the following chipsets

North Bridge - NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI

South Bridge - NVIDIA MCP51

Audio - Realtek ALC888

Onboard LAN - Realtek 8211B

so my guide is the one for you....... :)

I did install the distro the same way you showed in your first blog post (the one with the iAtkos), but it still hangs at still waiting for root device..

Check your BIOS settings against the 650i template downloadable here...........and, if you are using a SATA DVDRW, try a PATA (IDE) DVDRW instead, with it jumper-set and connected as Master.............

I changed all the BIOS Settings I could find, and now it hangs at Still waiting for root device BEFORE the installation (when trying to boot from the DVD)... Any ideas on that?

Boot the iATKOS SW3 v2 DVD using

-v -f arch=i386 cpus=1 maxmem=2048

and report any error messages prior to and including "still waiting for root device"........

OK what are your HDD and DVDRW...........SATA or PATA (IDE).......?

It is recommended that you put OS x and Windows 7 on separate HDDs.......

SATAs. I just flashed the BIOS to the latest version, set "Optimized Settings" and the DVD booted and installed again, but I again hang after reboot (I only made 1 partition this time)

For iATKOS S3 v2 choose what is in BOLD in the Customise Menu, as follows:

> iATKOS S3 Main System [Pre-selected Default]

> Bootloader

>> AsereBLN v1.19 [Default]

>> PC_EFI v10.6

>> Slice

>> AnVAL Loader

>> Chameleon v2 RC5

>> Chameleon v2 RC4

> Bootloader Options

>> 32-bit boot

>> Graphics Enabler

>> -pci1

>> Ethernet

>> USB (USBBusFix; EHCIacquire; UHCIreset)

>> Quiet Boot

>> Legacy Logo

>> UUID [selecting this breaks HDD multiboot options]

> Patches

>> /Extra directory [Default]

>> fakesmc [Default] V2.5 [MUST BE SELECTED]

>> Disabler [Default]

>> RTC (RTC [Default]; RTC(32bit))

>> Modified Kernels (qoopz 10.3.0; qoopz 10.2.0; PCJ kernel; Atom Kernel)

>> EVO Reboot [Default]

>> Sleep Enabler

>> USB

>> UUID

> Drivers

>> Main Hardware

>>> SATA/IDE (AHCI SATA; Intel SATA/IDE; JMicron SATA/IDE; VIA SATA/IDE (support for VIA, SiS, SI, ULI, Marvell and some nForce chipsets); nForce SATA/IDE)

>>> Sound (Voodoo HDA [Default]; Apple HDA 10.6.2 [Default])

>>> PS/2 (Apple PS/2; Voodoo PS/2)

"Only choose one of these if you are using a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse"

>>> CPU Power Management (Voodoo P-State; Voodoo Power; EvO Speedstep)

>>> Laptop Hardware (Battery; Card Reader; TSC Sync; ACPI Thermal (32bit)

>>> NTFS-3G (Mac FUSE Core; NTFS-3G [automatic sub-selection])

>> VGA

>>> nVidia

>>>> EFI String (DVI/DVI; DVI/VGA; VGA/DVI)

>>>> Enablers (NVEnabler; Natit)

>>> ATI

>>>> Enablers (EVO enabler; ATY-Init (32bit)

>>>> ATI 48xx

>>>> ATI Framebuffer

>>> Intel

>>>> EFI String

>>>> Natit (32bit)

>>>> GMA 950 (GMA 950 27A2 (32bit); GMA 950 27AE (32bit))

>>>> GMA X3100 (Framebuffer (32bit)

>> Network

>>> Wireless

>>>> Atheros

>>>> Atheros Corei7 fix

>>>> Broadcom

>>>> Ralink (RT257x; RT2500 (32bit); RT2870; RT2860 (32bit); RT256x (32bit))

>>>> Realtek (RTL8187 (32bit); RTL8187B (32bit); RTL8187L (32bit); RTL8187SE (32bit))

>>>> Zydas (32bit)

>>> Wired

>>>> Realtek (RTL8168; RTL8139)

>>>> Marvell (Yukon 88E8001; Yukon 88E8056)

>>>> Atheros (Attansic L1; Attansic L1E; Attansic L2 (32bit)

>>>> Intel (Intel Pro V100; Intel Gigabit)

>>>> Broadcom (BCM440x; BCM5755M (32bit); BCM5787M (32bit))

>>>> nForce

>>>> Via Rhine (32bit)

> Language Translations "Your choice"

Excuse my extreme stupidity, I haven't been installing the 32-bit boot option, due to thinking that I am 64 bit architecture and I will only have 3GB's of RAM recognized. I was proven wrong by my "About this Mac" menu. It recognizes everything correctly except my video card but that is to be expected. I am just using Software Update and than I will install video card drivers. Oh and another question, on the Audio (Built-In) menu it says I have no built-in audio, yet I do have sound (at least haven't noticed any problems for now), is this normal?

edit: I know have 2 issues

1. The first with the audio which I mentioned in my post above

2. When I use Software update I get some kind of kernel panic I think in the installation of 10.6.4 SL Update? What am I doing wrong? Here is a photo of the kernel panic:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ih5kk2.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/ek3jg1.jpg

3. From where I can download drivers for my 8800 GT?

4. What is my "mac" button on my regular PS2 keyboard?

Excuse my extreme stupidity, I haven't been installing the 32-bit boot option, due to thinking that I am 64 bit architecture and I will only have 3GB's of RAM recognized. I was proven wrong by my "About this Mac" menu. It recognizes everything correctly except my video card but that is to be expected. I am just using Software Update and than I will install video card drivers. Oh and another question, on the Audio (Built-In) menu it says I have no built-in audio, yet I do have sound (at least haven't noticed any problems for now), is this normal?

edit: I know have 2 issues

1. The first with the audio which I mentioned in my post above

2. When I use Software update I get some kind of kernel panic I think in the installation of 10.6.4 SL Update? What am I doing wrong? Here is a photo of the kernel panic:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ih5kk2.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/ek3jg1.jpg

3. From where I can download drivers for my 8800 GT?

4. What is my "mac" button on my regular PS2 keyboard?

I will deal with the most critical issues first:

[1] You need to install either slashack's AppleNForceATA.kexts, or AnV's later variant of slashack's kext, to hopefully get over the kernel panic........go to my nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU Snow Leopard Install Guide here to download my Snow_Support_Files_V2.3 which includes these AppleNForceATA kexts..........

[2] Go to go to my nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU Snow Leopard Install Guide here to see what the video driver install options are for your 8800 GT...........alternatively, see here........

[3] AFAIK your audio chipset is the Realtek ALC888, so see here.......

[4] For updating OS X, I recommend you download and run the standalone 10.6.4 Combo Update installer..........backup your OS X system to the 2nd OS X volume I hope you have set up (as I recommend) and quit all open applications before running the installer............if you have any problems, then boot in verbose Safe Mode (i.e. boot with -v -x) and then re-run the Combo Update Installer..........running OS X installers in Safe Mode can be very effective at solving system problems because of what Safe Mode accomplishes.......see here.........

[5] Usually, the "Windows" key between Ctrl and Alt is your "Apple" key...........

Re booting in 32bit mode vs 64bit mode..........I would recommend that you initially get the system working 100% in 32bit mode........this is because the 64-bit kernel is only used by default in the 2008 and later Xserve rack mounted servers capable of using up to 48 GiB of memory, but also 2008 and later Mac Pros and the mid 2010 Mac Mini when running 10.6.x Server. All other Macs (apart from the mid 2010 Mac Pros) use the 32/64-bit hybrid kernel by default because their hardware doesn’t support more than 32 GiB of memory, and since Snow Leopard is completely backwards-compatible with 32-bit applications and runs 64-bit applications regardless of whether it boots into a 64-bit or a 32-bit kernel, running the purely 64-bit kernel has little significant advantage........

@ verdant: why did Apple make the big switch to a full 64 bit kernel if the main significance would only come to the Xserver. IMO I just think that there are advantages to the 64 bit kernel but not to everyone on a day to day use but for others who need the 64 bit love they will see improvements

funny how I'm posting in the new users lounge but I couldn't pass this topic without saying anything

@ verdant: why did Apple make the big switch to a full 64 bit kernel if the main significance would only come to the Xserver. IMO I just think that there are advantages to the 64 bit kernel but not to everyone on a day to day use but for others who need the 64 bit love they will see improvements

funny how I'm posting in the new users lounge but I couldn't pass this topic without saying anything

I am not saying that there are no advantages, just that they are not as yet critically significant to the majority of OS X users...........the advantages being that the 64bit OS X kernel has the ability to [1] set up a memory address space for itself greater than 32-bits (4GB) and [2] access the full x64 register set of 64-bit CPUs..........hence, Apple is gradually increasing the number of Mac models that boot by default into the 64bit kernel:

This Mac uses the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X v10.6.

• Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

These Macs use the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X Server 10.6.

• Xserve (Early 2008) and later
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008) and later
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010)

These Macs support the 64-bit kernel, but do not use it by default.

• iMac (Early 2008) and later
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2008) and later

And, as for the Mac Pros (Mid 2010) using the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X v10.6:

4 x 2.8 GHz cores with 4 RAM slots supporting up to 32GB RAM Price: US$2499

6 x 3.33 GHz cores with 4 RAM slots supporting up to 32GB RAM Price: US$3699

8 x 2.4 GHz cores with 8 RAM slots supporting up to 64GB RAM Price: US$3499

12 x 2.66 GHz cores with 8 RAM slots supporting up to 64GB RAM Price: U$4999

would you call the "buyers" of these Mac Pro computers, "regular users", or "power users".........? :D

Furthermore, regarding Windows 7:

Pros and Cons of a 64 bit system:
  • You can address much more than 4GB of memory, which is ideal for avid gamers, CAD, video editors and heavy multi-taskers. However, any 32 bit software you use will still be restricted to 4GB memory – you need a 64 bit CPU, OS and applications to take full advantage of the extra RAM.
  • 16 bit applications will no longer run. Although this is unlikely to be a problem, if you use very old software (from the Windows 3.1 days!) then it will not work under a 64 bit OS.
  • Existing 32 bit drivers no longer work.If you have older or poorly supported hardware you may find that it can no longer be used. Got a 7 year old scanner that just about works in Vista? You may not be able to get it working in 64 bit Windows 7.
  • Unsigned kernel-mode drivers no longer work. Along with the issue above, the inability to run unsigned kernel mode drivers will cause problems for old hardware. (There is reportedly a way to bypass this check).
  • Running some 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS could actually be slower. The additional overheads in running 32 bit software in 64 bit mode could cause a slight degradation in performance. It will take some time for 64 bit software to become the norm.

The Windows system needs a full 64bit kernel to work at its best because the 32bit kernel Windows system is very limited, whereas Mac OS X is different because the 32bit kernel is capable of launching and running 64bit processes, i.e. applications.......... :)

I did successfully install Mac OS 10.6.4, but I still get Kernel Panic at Software Update (which this times is only the "Hold down the power button" display message.

Do you have 2 OS X 10.6 systems installed, or only one at present?

Did you use Disk Utility to repair OS X permissions before running the Software Update?

Did you re-boot with -v -f after the Software Update?

@ CptSlash: What sort of crashes are you having app crashes within Safari?

and since runnings the -v -f flags after running the software update are you able to boot 10.6.4 up normally?

@ verdant: You actually bring up a good point with the not so big of a difference when using 32 bit vs 64 bit unless you are doing some form of work that would have to address more than the regular 32 bit applications can normally address. The only thing I see in a different view is that you will find people that will buy Mac Pros to actually utilize the potential the rig can actually put out whereas, you will have the people like myself who will have an i7 920 CPU with a radeon 5850 GPU rolling along with a SSD just for the sake of running Snow Leopard.

I originally used a q8200 (which I still do) when I had my hackintosh running leopard then I heard Snow Leo was going full blown 64 Cocoa so I said it's probably time I upgrade a "bit". A new CPU,GPU and a SSD you'd probably call a bit overkill just to use a 64 bit kernel to the fullest but the ironic thing about is it that I barely utilize my rig to the fullest where it can compare on synthetic benchmarks to a Mac Pro. I solely do it for being an avid Apple "fanboi." 8)

I have friends that have also built i7 rigs to pump out a bit more frames for WoW in their basements. The things they build can compare on the server level but they use it for such trivial things such as playing FPS games.

You should get paid to be a hardcore gamer these days as it isn't cheap =D

I haven't skimmed through the whole topic but the 10.6.4 drive that you're using it it only mac os x that's on the drive? Or is it shared with windows in some way because I know writing to large files to the NFTS side of a drive can be troublesome because I used to face that same issue.

When you say downloading large files btw, like what size are we talking about? In the hundreds of MB or a few GB's in size?

I am also using the iatckos S3 distro with my current rig but I'm still on 10.6.3 because I'm too lazy to fix my display when I update to 10.6.4 (~_~)

I currently only have 1 hard drive, and it has only 1 partition, the one I have installed Mac OS on. I am almost certain now that the crash is caused by some kind combination of downloading + Safari, which is a pretty big pain in the ass, how do I fix it? And also the Software Update kernel panic issue..

Do you have QE/CI working on your GPU because I've noticed that on my laptop that had the same hard drive that I'm running in this desktop, Safari would crash after going to another web page but when I started using the same hard drive in my desktop with a radeon 4850 with working QE/CI everything went smooth and safari was working fine. Btw what version of Safari are you using?

And as for the kernel panic in the software update, it happens the moment you click on the software update selection from the  menu right?