Dell Dimension 8400 iportable snow leopard

kbtarl

12 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Diminsion 840 with a ATI Radeon X300 series video card that I can not get working. The properties under windows shows this:

pci\ven_1002&DEV_5B60&Subsys_03021002&Rev_00\4&16EC1A&0&0008.

Has anyone come up with a way to get htis card to work? I've read it is just easier to get a new video card. :-(

All help appreciated.

I have a Dell Diminsion 840 with a ATI Radeon X300 series video card that I can not get working. The properties under windows shows this:

pci\ven_1002&DEV_5B60&Subsys_03021002&Rev_00\4&16EC1A&0&0008.

Has anyone come up with a way to get htis card to work? I've read it is just easier to get a new video card. :-(

All help appreciated.

I installed ati_x300_c0008.pkg and now the only way I can boot is in safe mode. In safe mode the graphics card is working although it doesn't give me individual control on the dual monitors. It does look great but now I have lost my wireless net card and sound. Is this the wrong kext for my card? There are two other pkg should I try them. How do you remove a pkg? When not in safe mode the screen is unreadable. Just a lot of electronic static.

Help Please....this screen looks awsome though.....too bad It is not in regular mode along with my sound and wireless....so close and now so far away :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello kbtarl!

I know issue with Dimension 8400, I succeed to install OSX 10.5.7, did you try this version ?

I try some test with an ATI 2400 card and must specify PCI ID to have it work, but dual screen never works...

Can give me details of your Snow Leopard installation?

the dimension 8400 is what lead me to building a new system because of the gpu and the chipset, AHCI mode didn't always work right when trying to boot snow leopard but in terms of leopard it worked fine showing the correct resolution back in 10.5.8 but QE/CI never worked.

the dimension 8400 is what lead me to building a new system because of the gpu and the chipset, AHCI mode didn't always work right when trying to boot snow leopard but in terms of leopard it worked fine showing the correct resolution back in 10.5.8 but QE/CI never worked.

I've made dsdt for the Dimension 8400 Bios A09, with it everything works (Sata AHCI, IDE, Sleep, CMOS reset fix...)

You must set SATA Operation to RAID Autodetect / AHCI in the bios

DSDT_D8400.zip

I've made dsdt for the Dimension 8400 Bios A09, with it everything works (Sata AHCI, IDE, Sleep, CMOS reset fix...)

wow where have you been all this time (0-_-0)

I'll still download it and give it a go it might get my 8400 to actually run snow leo because I was always stuck with waiting for root device when I tried booting it.

Thanks for that dsdt

wow where have you been all this time (0-_-0)

I'll still download it and give it a go it might get my 8400 to actually run snow leo because I was always stuck with waiting for root device when I tried booting it.

Thanks for that dsdt

hehe, I was here all the time but I just got the dimension 8400 about 2 weeks ago.

if you are planning to install Snow, you need this kext for sound.

AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip

EDIT:

after installing this kext, set Line-out to 6 channels and set Left speaker to channel 3 and Right speaker to channel 4

• 1 month later...
I can confirm that it does work I have all channels working for the audio

works in 64/32 snow leo

Sorry I have not been monitoring my post guys but I will try this on my Dimension 8400. I could never get OSX to see my HDD when I had it set to auto but will try this again. What is the best bootloader to use trying to install Snow Leopard 10.6.0?

I was also told I would never get the graphics card to work on this Dimension. It has the Radeon x300.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

DSDT_D8400.zip

What do I do after I download it? Im having trouble hackintoshing my dim 8400. Ive actually compiled my own DSDT.dsl and made it DSDT.aml. The problem is I don't know what to do after. I've been trying to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and SL 10.6. If I have to I will use iDenbe or Kalyway.

Please respond because I need help (me newb).

Thanks