MacDrive

37 posts in this topic

It's OK for copying files HFS --> FATxx/NTFS, or for MOVING a small number of files on the HFS volume(s), but nothing beyond that. I am wondering if this is just a hackin0sg issue or if it makes real Mac users cry, too.

Macdrive did corrupt my macos partition, and another peculiar thing is that windows did not allow to turn off system restore on it (i guess that might be what corrupted it).

I managed to correct the partition by booting to macosx dvd.

Now I made the partition hidden in windows, but i guess it will be safe to use the option in macdrive to mount all hfs+ partitions as read-only...

I access the hfs+ partition now through a vmware virtual machine that boot to a virtual disk with the second disk being the physical native hfs+ partition.

Macdrive did corrupt my macos partition, and another peculiar thing is that windows did not allow to turn off system restore on it (i guess that might be what corrupted it).

I managed to correct the partition by booting to macosx dvd.

Now I made the partition hidden in windows, but i guess it will be safe to use the option in macdrive to mount all hfs+ partitions as read-only...

I access the hfs+ partition now through a vmware virtual machine that boot to a virtual disk with the second disk being the physical native hfs+ partition.

That's the safest way, I think.

Because I use only my iTunes library and other smaller stuff from my HFS+ partition, I will set my drive to read-only, too.

Thanks for mention all the problems you guys had with MacDrive. I have to be more careful with my Mac HD.

I like macdrive and for full time windows users I think its a must :) I have fubared mac a few times moving lots of files around. I mainly use it for editing plist or investigating kexts. I use notepad++ sometimes and can say not to use it to write files, it causes XP to error and force restart :blink: I have never had a problem with Apple drive not showing in "My Computer". I have been using since 6.03.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: New Daemon Tools

You might want to try the latest version of Daemon Tools. They specifically pointed out that all issues with MacDrive have been fixed.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.p...ory&catid=5

How to Get MacDrive to work again:

1) Boot Windows in Safe Mode

2) Download SPTDinst_X86.exe from the Daemon Tools site. In command prompt, navigate to the directory of the .exe you downloaded, and enter "SPTDinst_X86.exe remove"

3) Reboot into normal mode

4) Install updated Daemon tools

EDIT: Lots of people are complaining that it still ruins MacDrive's ability to see HFS+ volumes. I can testify for this. They say it'll be fixed in the next build. Until then, use Daemon Tools 3.47.

• 3 weeks later...

After my OS X partition disappeared from "My Computer" I tried all these suggestions and nothing worked. What did work in the end was going into Disk Management and assigning a drive letter manually. Now it works fine. I think maybe my iPod took over the drive letter MacDrive was using.

• 6 months later...

Dr.Xenon,

I just did the same thing. I am using the new MacDrive 7. I assigned a drive letter to two of my HFS+ volumes. They became visible in My Computer in Vista. I had to reboot into Vista to be able to write into those two volumes.

BUT!!!!! (A big BUT)

Now they are not mountable in OS X. They become "Microsoft Basic Data" partitions with PID "EE". I tried using fdisk command to setpid back to AF, but still not mountable in OS X. Good thing is they are still accessible in Vista when it is set to PID "EE". Now i'm trying to copy data from it in Vista to save the data.

BAD BAD BAD

Anyone knows how to edit the GUID partition table to retrieve the HFS+ volumes?

I didnt install Daemon Tool in Vista, but I use MagicISO.