x58 build help...

SamuelL421

1 post in this topic

Hello all, I was recently in the market for a mac, then decided better of it, figuring it would much easier to use components I have to just do a dual boot setup. Basically I just need some advice and pointed in the right direction to get started here.

What my rig is running right now -

i7 920, gigabyte X58-UD5 (original non-sata 6 version), 6gb (2gbx3) ddr3, 2 HDDs

I'm currently running a Radeon 5850 and a geforce 250gts together under win7, I also have an unused Radeon 3870 and a Radeon 4870 (currently in use in another system)

Here's my plan -

Using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], this guide, and another HDD I've just purchased, I'm going to install osx 10.6 from the retail dvd I've just purchased.

What I need help with -

I'd like to know if using this [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] route is a good/bad idea, I'm hoping to use this method as it seems pretty straightforward. This is the first time attempting a real mac install and my first time getting under the hood of OSX. I've run a OSX vm in the past on my pc so I have that experience and I also have some limited knowledge/experience with several linux distros.

Also what problems might I run into during this install based on my hardware? I know the UD5 mobo will work with OSX, but I'm a little worried about my video setup. Will I still be able to keep my 5850 running as the main display and just leave the 250gts in w/out a driver/kext or will I have to remove one of these cards from my system completely? I also think I read somewhere that the Radeon 58xx's can't work with 64bit (yet) in OSX, does this mean the Adobe CS5 64bit applications wouldn't run assuming I'm using the 5850?

Thanks in advance!