What app are you missing?

108 posts in this topic

Ok, so we've got a really awesome secret idea (wow, don't all the adverbs/adjectives make it exciting?) that we're going to launch in a few days, but before we do I just want to know - what app do you wish existed for Macs? If you could pick one, what would it be?

Most apps for OS X are awesome, but there are a few that just can't equal their Windows counterparts. Take torrents, for example: Transmission is good for OS X but doesn't make torrents and has issues with some trackers. Azureus is powerful but bloated and hogs resources. uTorrent for Windows is great... but is just for Windows. So we're left without a truly great torrent client for OS X.

That's just one example (although one of the biggest that I can think of). How about you? Is there one app that you really wish existed for OS X? Are you having to use two apps right now for something that one should take care of?

Let me know - your thoughts will have more impact than you might think... :(

IE7 lol no no I don't need it...

err I can't think of anything that Windows has that Mac OS X doesn't.

Oh, the app "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", I like it better than Preview... because I have the button "next" when I open a picture, I don't have to open all the pictures like I do in Preview.

A good torrent app for OSX is definitely needed. None of the current ones do it for me. Azureus is a great program, but the bloat is killer. Even with 1GB of RAM and a decent CPU, it slows things down considerably.

One other thing I'd like to see is a text-editing application with better FTP support...I use a program on Windows that has full FTP integration, and the best I've found for OSX is TextWrangler. Which, don't get me wrong, is a great application. It just doesn't do FTP nearly as well as it could. That is, of course, more of a feature request than anything else. And I know this is the wrong place for that. :(

So yea, a good torrent application would be number one on my wishlist.

*edit* Oh, and I agree with Pippin. A better image preview application would be great. The only ones I've found are completely bloated beyond belief. The equilivent of feh for linux [maybe with a GUI] would be perfect.

*edit2* Heh...another thing I'd like is a good music player with the cability for loads of music. I have well over 50GB of music, and iTunes just doesn't cut it for me. Everything else I've found is either pay to use [not an option for me at the moment] or is too slow/bloated/badly designed. But maybe it's just me.

I'm all in favor of a Picture and Fax Viewer type application. I've always loved that in Windows XP. Also, I think OS X needs a good AIM client. I don't like iChat, and the official AIM client is junky. I want one to have all the features of the Windows (non-Triton) client, with the look and simplicity of OS X.

That's really about all I can think about right now.

I think that OS X needs a good torrent app. There's azureus which is too memory hogging, Transmission which doesn't work half the time, and Tomato which is just too old and messy. I would really like to see a good, working torrent app. :(

I got BitTornado working on my PPC Mac, but I couldn't on my Hackintosh. Requires installing a few Python things. And then starting it from the command line or an applescript to generate the GUI. Would be nice if someone compiled the source code and put it all into a double-clickable app.

Edit: got it working on my Hackintosh so I published how:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23092

Also, I think OS X needs a good AIM client. I don't like iChat, and the official AIM client is junky. I want one to have all the features of the Windows (non-Triton) client, with the look and simplicity of OS X.

That's really about all I can think about right now.

Did you know about Adium? www.adiumx.com

I really don't see the problem with Tomato Torrent, at least if you're just the usual downloader type. Maybe if you need to do some fancy seeding. Otherwise, Transmission is nice (Suppose not so if you want to make torrents), as is this widget. :D But, perhaps my needs are simple since I only get the occasional TV show.

I just want something like SecureCRT (with the serial terminal support, too). Using screen or goserial isn't good enough here. I program a lot of routers and firewalls. :P

- Power DVD, WinDVD

- DVD Region Free

- WinRAR, WinZIP

- Nero

I can understand perhaps Nero and DVD Region Free...

But UnrarX at least gives you rar support, and there is already OS-level zip support.

I'd not mind a gui around 7zip, though (forgot that earlier). You have to use EZ 7Z or the standard command line ones currently.

in my computing world im missing swishmax (actually thw whole swish product line). and that about it.

o and ipodwizard (since its been 2 years of talk to port to mac).

dvd shrink

unless anyone knows an osx program that will take away encyption, css, region encoding, and compress (with choice as to how) all in one

mactheripper + ffmpegX

DVDShrink + AnyDVD - I am aware that MactheRipper does a lot of the ripping for OSX, but it doesn't come close to DVDShrink + AnyDVD combo. Newer movies are unrippeable w/ mactheripper (even the "freeware" beta that you have to "donate" AT LEAST 15 dollars or more to get).

Live Messenger - Something that has its features but doesn't look like {censored} (i.e. aMSN's features in Adiumx would be awesome). Adiumx is getting there, but will lack video for a while.

Those are only ones I see. As for the Messenger I could care less but its a bit thing for friends I try to turn over to the good side. The ripping dvds is a MUST though. Mactheripper is great but slow and not nearly as great. Ripping takes bout 30 minutes, compressing takes 30-40 minutes and then the 10 mins of burning. DVDShrink takes 30 mins for the ripping/copressing all in one and 10 for burning.