• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

movingmage

movingmage

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
My mini 311 is 100% -- I even have 3G. I can not get hardware accelerated flash 10.1 to work though. Flash work's fine, it just doesn't change sys load or performance when I turn accel. on and off. Nothing. I have seen anecdotal reports around the 'net of it working for ppl. Is it possible that flash/apple's framework doesn't like the ION, and doesn't see it as a proper 9400m? I am using the retail pack 0.9, including the DSDT, and running 10.6.4. Any thoughts, help or experiences would be appreciated!

Quactaur

Quactaur

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I would be interested in this too. My 311 is absolutely wonderful with OSX, but it would be nice if it could play flash videos with a little less stutter.

The latest version of flash doesn't appear to make a difference to me either.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I would be interested in this too. My 311 is absolutely wonderful with OSX, but it would be nice if it could play flash videos with a little less stutter.

The latest version of flash doesn't appear to make a difference to me either.

you need the "Gala" version not the official one.
and if there is h/w acceleration there will be a small white box on the corner of the flash screen.

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts
Maybe flashing the ION LE to ION fixes it?

movingmage

movingmage

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
It is my understanding that the aug 11 release of 10.1 contains the full accel. code for the 9400m on osx (not the July 10.1 release)...but it still seems not to work. Ideas?

you need the "Gala" version not the official one.
and if there is h/w acceleration there will be a small white box on the corner of the flash screen.

movingmage

movingmage

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
What do you guys think? Anyone have luck with the new release? I can't find the old Gala one anywhere.

quote name='movingmage' date='Aug 31 2010, 03:54 AM' post='1540390']
It is my understanding that the aug 11 release of 10.1 contains the full accel. code for the 9400m on osx (not the July 10.1 release)...but it still seems not to work. Ideas?
[/quote]

Quactaur

Quactaur

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I had thought the gala preview was rolled into the 10.1 final release, so that shouldn't be relevant anymore.

Not sure whether it affects LEs or not as the first thing I did with my mini was switch it to ION.

In any case it's not as much of a show stopper as it was. HTML5 video is the only thing I care for with regards to acceleration and it seems to be becoming more ubiquitous.

The one thing I do really hope works on our 311s is hardware acceleration for the browsers when they start to roll them out on OSX. The difference the latest Firefox 4 beta and IE9 platform preview make on windows 7 is absolutely astounding for dynamic content on webpages. Particularly for us lot on Atom n270s!

Quactaur

Quactaur

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Just a quick note I'd share.

I had a look back at the blog post announcing the 'gala' (now present in the general release of 10.1) version of flash.

In the discussions, it mentioned a couple of fairly important points.

1) h/w acceleration will not apply to videos UNDER 480p. This includes some videos rated at 480p apparently, due to fudging of resolution

2) h/w acceleration will not apply to 'poorly encoded' video content. This applies to many youtube videos which have been made in programs that do not respect certain properties ( properties that are almost wholly irrelevant to anything toher than flash, itseems)

3) h/w acceleration does not apply to interlaced content. This includes sites like bbc iplayer, and a number of tv-streaming websites which do not adjust the television stream and de-interlace it.

Apparently the reasoning for all this is that apple and adobe's prime goal with hardware acceleration was power consumption. As the gpu cannot ramp up and down as effectivley as the cpu, and as for most 480p video it is more efficient to use the cpu, this explains why they did so. Interlacing and poorly encoded videos seems to just be laziness on adobe's part, as from the post it sounds like their software decoding software is developed separately from their hardware decoders, and they couldn't be bothered to implement the error correction / deinterlacing features.

All in all this isn't much consolation for 311 owners (as it's generally not power consumption but controlling cpu usage that we care about) but that's what appears to be the situation.

This is all from a flash dev's post on GALA. They may well have changed it (and, more importantly for us, we may be able to change it through settings in the flash folder. Someone with more knowledge of plist manipulation and the like might want to take a look.

Blogpost : http://blog.kaourantin.net/?p=89

Edit:

2 Further points for people who are having flash performance woes.

i) Try skipping the whole issue. It's not a lovely solution, but if you watch a lot on youtube, enter the html5 beta and install a chrome/firefox/safari extension that tries to find h264 alternatives of the file (works on youtube and a number of other sites). Flashblock for safari has an option to do this automatically

ii) Use safari. For whatever reason I have actually found this to be less (perceptively) laggy on my 311 than chrome (scrolling always remains smooth even when under load, for example), whereas the opposite was the case on my macbook. Also with specific regard to flash, adobe have stated that the hardware optimisations and tweaks that apple have allowed them to make only work for the cocoa (i.e. safari) version of flash. Opera and Firefox use the unoptimized version, and I would imagine chrome does so too.

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
I know that this is an old post but I noticed that on my 311, Flash videos @ 720p and 1080p would be slow but HD videos in iPhoto that play under Quicktime would be just fine. I downloaded the Youtube5 Safari plugin and any HD video plays perfect from YouTube now with about 40% CPU usage... Impressive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy