Help with PX8400GS on 10.6.2

korst3n

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've bought a leadtek PX8400GS solely for this job as NVEnabler supported other brands' 8400GS. But once I boot using NVEnabler or even NVInject kext, my computer freezes on blank screen after the gray apple loading screen. I have also tried adding EFI string of 8400GS 512MB into my pboot.list and then validating disk permissions but the result was same. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..

Hi,

I've bought a leadtek PX8400GS solely for this job as NVEnabler supported other brands' 8400GS. But once I boot using NVEnabler or even NVInject kext, my computer freezes on blank screen after the gray apple loading screen. I have also tried adding EFI string of 8400GS 512MB into my pboot.list and then validating disk permissions but the result was same. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..

Try with NVKush.kext (delete Nvinject, NVEnabler and the efistring)

Alright thank you, but if it fails and my computer doesn't boot how do I revert changes? I don't want to lose my stored info by reinstalling.

Boot with -s flag

At the prompt type:

mount -uw / <return>

cd /System/Library/Extensions <return>

rm -rf NVKush.kext <return>

reboot <return>

Alternatively, if you have windows on the PC, you can delete NVKush.kext from /System/Library/Extensions using Macdrive.

Ok I've reinstalled NVkush, put GraphicsEnabler=yes into boot line and the result was the same - stalling. I rebooted with -s, deleted NVkush.kext from sys/lib/ext folder and now my PC won't boot. It passes gray apple loading screen and there's a blue screen with typical mac loading icon on the bottom and it keeps spinning. It's been like that since 10min and I rebooted too. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of giving back my PX8400GS - I bought that card just for this job but my previous radon X400 could run OS X 1024x768 too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Google 'guide for all nvidia boards'.

Thanks, i'm reading it but

1) OSx86 tools won't let me select NVinject.kext - it's disabled like any other item.

2) How do I find out what my graphic card device ID is? I only have mac os installed, and in system profiler there's just default nvidia device id.

By the way, only nvinject doesn't cause my system to freeze. But it doesn't help out on my resolution too so it just does nothing.

1) Use NVEnabler.kext (link in the guide) and don't use OSX86Tools, learn how to install kernel extensions manually.

Ok my device ID is 06E4. I followed the guide except for NVCAP which I had to leave for NVEnabler, now I'm on OS X using NVEnabler but still on 1024x768 - the display settings doesn't show any other option. And in system profiler I can see the system recognizes my gfx card's device ID but without a name and a wrong VRAM - 32MB. It's 512MB. Also I booted with GraphicsEnabler=yes.

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06e4

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

SwitchResX4 - Unknown Monitor:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Sorry to bump but i only have two days left till I can refund my graphics card if I can't get it to work.

Summary: my leadtek PX8400 GS 512MB won't go beyond 1024x768 and I have NVEnabler installed with proper device ID entries in the files needed .

Do you see "NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered" during startup? (boot with -v or run console.app, check kernel.log)

Did you add the device ID to NVEnabler.kext itself?

Make sure you don't have any other Injector.kext installed, disable Chameleon GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist and remove any Device Properties string you might have there as well.

Do you see "NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered" during startup? (boot with -v or run console.app, check kernel.log)

In boots prior to NVEnabler64.kext, yes but no not since I installed the kext as I checked from timestamps.

Did you add the device ID to NVEnabler.kext itself?

Yes. My device ID is 06E4. I've changed these in NVEnabler64.Kext

IOPCIMatch: 0x06E4 0x0a3410de&0x0000ffff

IOProbeScore: 0

And also NVDANV50HAL and NVDRESMAN too.

Make sure you don't have any other Injector.kext installed, disable Chameleon GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist and remove any Device Properties string you might have there as well.

I don't have that file. Not in /sys/lib/sysconfig or /extras. I'll try rebooting with GraphicsEnabler=NO parameter now and edit my message.

Edit: I saw some ATIRadeon kextx in /sys/lib/extensions folder and I moved them elsewhere. Now my computer reboots after the gray apple loading screen. Last message in kernel.log is NVEnabler: probe fails. I can see that it detects my graphics card.

In boots prior to NVEnabler64.kext, yes but no not since I installed the kext as I checked from timestamps.

Then you did something wrong. The whole idea of inserting your dev id is to get that kext to load.

I don't have that file. Not in /sys/lib/sysconfig or /extras (...)

Yes you do, you're looking in the wrong folder. And the /extra folder should be named "extra", not "extras".

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1468477

IOPCIMatch: 0x06E4 0x0a3410de&0x0000ffff

No....if your device ID is 06E4, this is how it should look: 0x06e410de&0x0000ffff

Ok I edited files with the correct device ID and I don't have GraphicsEnabler=yes in my apple boot plist - kernel flags is empty. But after I edited the files i've seen an error saying NVRESMAN, NVENABLER and the NVDHAL is incorrect. Now I'm on OS X, i checked kernel.log and none of the kexts I got error from are mentioned there. Any ideas?

I fixed the error by putting the kexts again but now im back to blank screen issue. The last message in kernel log is nvenabler prob. Failed.

And i know ill sound like a jerk but i only have 5 hours to get my card to work or else i cant refund it by tomorrow. Im thinking of getting pny brand. Pny's 8400 is known to work according to HCL.