P5Q-E - Installed IOATAFamily kext and now stuck on boot screen!

dspry

5 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have a P5Q-E. I have been running OSX for about 2 months and have recently been trying to get my e-Sata drive recognized. I downloaded a kext from kexts.com called IOATAFamily and installed it with KextHelperb7. I also used KextHelperb7 to (re?)install two kexts in my Extensions folder that were highlighted blue though I can't remember what they were (though one of them was VIAATA). When I restarted I wasn't able to boot. I get to the boot screen and am presented with a white cross on top of the Apple logo. This is the first trouble I've had with OSX beyond the drive not being recognized! I've tried removing the new kexts via Windows - and also replacing the Extensions folder on my system partition with the kexts in my Boot partition (that has Chameleon 2 RC5 on it) to no avail.

I can't figure out how to fix this. Any help would be much appreciated! I want OSX back pls!

Here is an image taken after booting with -v flag. IOAHCIFamily.kext is in all kext folders (Extensions, Backup Extensions and Extensions on the boot partition) and the only USB items plugged in are wireless keyboard reciever, mouse and USB hub (which is empty). These have always been plugged in. This only started happening after using KextHelper (which I've used countless times before) to install the blue kexts and the one new kext.

post-632365-1282964467_thumb.jpg

There's no OS X driver for the Silicon Image e-SATA port (and the on-board orange SATA ports) on the P5Q-E.

There's a SuperVIAATA.kext that works with the internal IDE port.

ICH10R works out of the box though it'll be recognized as "generic". That can be fixed with the AHCI injectors that come with the Chameleon bootloader.

Make sure ICH10R is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS.

You need to put back the kernel extension(s) that you replaced to boot again. You made a backup didn't you?

Thank you. I don't really need the e-sata drive to be recognized in OS X and I don't think I'll risk it again without sufficient knowledge of what I'm doing! I'd read a few odd things on here about e-Sata being recognized with the P5Q-E and decided to install the attached kexts.

As for replacing the kernel extensions -- I don't quite understand. I installed new ones and it hasn't booted since then. I took the new ones out of the Extensions folder and nothing has changed. I don't see how putting them back will fix it (?). I don't think I understand what you're saying. I don't have a backup of my Extensions folder but if worse comes to worse I can easily backup all of the data on the OS X drive via Windows. I'd just prefer not to have to reinstall!

Thanks again.

You said you replaced IOATAFamily.kext with a modified one. You need to put the original one back.

If there's a working driver for the Silicon Image controller on the P5Q-E then that's news to me. Would you mind sharing the link? If that's supposed to be working then.. well then you did something wrong..

IOAHCIFamily.kext is in all kext folders (Extensions, Backup Extensions and Extensions on the boot partition)

Don't do that.

Leave an unmodified IOAHCIFamily.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and use the legacy "injector" kexts that come with the Chameleon bootloader in /Extra/Extensions to have ICH10R recognized correctly.

One of the great things about running retail OS X on the P5Q-E is that you don't need to mess with anything in /System/Library/Extensions at all.

Well except the binary patched AppleHDA, if you're not using VoodooHDA.

I didn't knowingly replace IOATAFamily with a modified version. I've never touched the kexts in /System/Library/Extensions. All of my downloaded kexts have always been in a folder called Extensions at the root of the drive as that's where I thought they went. I downloaded and installed the IOATAFamily kext in an attempt to have my e-sata drive recognized but now that I know they are kept in /System/Library/Extensions it makes sense that KextHelper has installed them there. I was removing the kexts from the Extensions folder at the root of my drive. Regardless, I have tried to restore as much as I can but nothing has changed. I am still getting an error: "Still waiting on root device".

I have found no links to specific kexts for the P5Q-E, but I have stumbled across people saying there should be no problem so long as the sata controller of the motherboard is recognized. In a thread on this forum at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175547I one member talks about it having worked on Leopard. I thought it might be a grey area with this particular motherboard but I don't have much knowledge on this topic at all so I'm probably wrong.

The reason I checked that IOAHCI was in my Extensions folder (the ones at the root of my system and boot partitions) was that when I booted with the -v flag, it said something about not being able to launch that kext. I wanted to check that it was in the folder so that I could try to overcome that problem.

Thanks.