kwin/Gnome & XGL/Compiz?

domino

14 posts in this topic

I know at least one guy on this board that knows what he's doing. I hope that member can give me a one-on-one on this topic. :)

My intent is to run kwin on some applications like XawTV, Google Earth, Cedega/games, and VLC. I need those application to run with Direct Rendering and kwin, instead of metacity. It was pointed out to me that kwin/KDE will be able to do this but I'm using Gnome and haven't found a clear cut way to do so.

With ATI drivers lacking DRI under XGL, you will be giving a lot of users a great service. So please, if anyone has the time, help us out?

regards,

D~

I know at least one guy on this board that knows what he's doing. I hope that member can give me a one-on-one on this topic.

was it me? :)

anyway... you are missunderstooding something

when you startup compiz, it takes the place of the previous window manager... so you're not using metacity with compiz but just compiz with gnome decorator(gnome-like windows)

so.. you cannot use compiz+gnome+kwin also

you should wait at least for a kde decorator or such.

for the other issues...

XGL uses INdirect acceleration, it means that applications can't access the GPU directly but must pass thru XORG+XGL first. that said you shouldn't have problems for most applications

still, if you look at ubuntu forums or at gentoo's there are a lot of discussions about it and a lot of walkthrough if you still got problems

LOL, I said "at least" so there's one more. I searched and read damn near 8hrs looking for the person with the same situation.

Okay here's the deal. Under XGL/compiz/KDE, you can use kwin confirguration to remove compiz from applications. That way compiz doesn't affect the application (meaing no decoration). I found it not that easy in compiz/Gnome since I have not found a way to remove decoration on certain application so that application can have full access to the video card. Unless i'm totally off, that what i need to do with google earth (very choppy with compiz), xawtv (not that great in compiz compared to notrmal X), and lastly, cedega installed games that need direct rendering.

The is another way by means of creating a script app.real and make it use another window manager but it's not working as I planned. Application run on top without ompiz, but gets to be a pain in the arse if you keep adding more and more apps that need DRI.

well... the problem is that when you start XGL you are in INdirect mode.. no metter what's your window manager

you could try Xnest(to open a new X session inside the existing one but it shouldn't solve your issues

you "could" start another session using ctrl+alt+F1...2...etc and try to execute a normal XORG... it should work

Well that's just not what i wanted to hear :D. Let me get this straight. While under XGL, no matter what wm you use, yo're still not going to get DRI? Them why are applications like VLC, google earth, ectwhile not using compiz so much more fluid? I was under the impression that they were using direct rendering. Can I be that wrong?

Yea, i thought I had a good handle on this but obviously not. The fact that ATI users are SOL right now doesn't help. There "may" be a way without having to logout or switching tty. I'm logging into XGL through GDM. Maybe if I run compiz straight from GDM/gnome and use the Tool bar switcher for compiz, it might work. But the last time I tried it, it cost me a 5hr downtime and reinstalled XGL/compiz.

Scratch that, i'm still in XGL, so no it wont :D. Damn it, i'm beggining to wish Apple would drop ATi and start using nvidia. Or at least give nvidia support. I guess will have to hunt for more ways around this problem.

I also would like to do this. I just moved, so I am really busy right now and haven't been able to look into it. Have you tried xgame? It is a script that launches games (or other apps?) in a different x session. I have no idea how it works or anything and their main site seems to be down.

The site is supposed to be : http://xgame.tlhiv.org/ But its on freshmeat too.

I've been reading and trying to get a grasp on compiz using DISPLAY=:1 and maybe we can use DISPLAY=:0 to make some applications at least more tolerable. There are at least 2 threads over at the compiz camp that might help acheive this. I'll look into xgame too.

the display redirection trick should work

but you always need Xorg started on that display first(mostly)

XGL on a display or anothr doesn't make difference in new cvs builds

yea I'm still working on the display redirection thing on my system problem is I can't seem to find the right model to emulate. Either people are using kde and I use gnome, use nvidia and I use ATI, Starting a different way other my way to start XGL in DGM.

cvs? I'm having a hell of a time just keeping my install afloat and working 100%. So I'm a bit cautious with using cvs builds. I hope "doesn't make difference" is good news.

On a side note, I was able to use the "nonxgl" hack PHG posted over at ubuntu forums. I am able to finally run kwin in Gnome by just issuing a "kwin --replace" command in terminal. It basically disables compiz and you can run opengl apps more fluid. Of course no direct rendering :blink:. The only problem is menus are very slow to render. Other than that, movies, google earth, and games worl well full screen.

i just mean that in earlier xgl souces there where a problem using a different screen than the 1 though.

compiling xgl day by day is not dangerous i never get an error message

the compiling system is getting better and better so...

anyway in ubuntu is kinda different and difficult to do i know

i just mean that in earlier xgl souces there where a problem using a different screen than the 1 though.

I believe this only applied to ATI cards because of a bug in fglrx. The newest fglrx (8.27.10 released last week) has this fixed. From the 'resolved issues' in the release notes for 8.27.10:

Resolution of an XGL startup issue that prevented users from starting XGL on display :0. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22841