[Guide] Retail 10.6.4 on Lenovo Y550P

Komano

11 posts in this topic

Okay, first off i am gonna be stating that i am not a programmer, nor developer. I am just someone who is interested in getting a Dual Boot with Windows 7. If you are interested in using OS X as your Main OS, I am sure this guide will help you but you will have to modify certain steps along the way. I reckon i did post this guide here as when you google for OS X 86, this site comes up as first. So maybe people can't find my guide over at another forum. But nonetheless.

-Disclaimer- I am not responsible if you screw up anything on your PC because of my guide.

Now, shall we proceed?

What you need:

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail DVD. ( If you have 10.6 then you will only have to use the 10.6 OSInstall below.)

Patched OSInstall and OSInstall.mpkg from here ( If you have 10.6 download the patched OSInstall here)

Windows 7 Retail DVD.

Gparted Live CD from here

A 8gb Thumbdrive.

A system that already has OS X installed.

The file that i attached to this post.

Step 1: Using the Gparted Live CD, delete all partitions EXCEPT THE OEM PARTITION(Should be around 15gb in size). Now recreate your partitions respectively. I used 50GB for Windows , 100GB for OS X and the rest for NTFS Backup.

Step 2: Install Windows into the NTFS Partition.

Step 3: Using a system that has OS X Installed, Create a disc image out of the retail disc. Once you have the Disc image, it would be .dmg. Restore the Disc Image into the 8GB Thumbdrive. Make sure the Thumbdrive is formatted to the GUID Partition table.

Step 4: Now we are gonna install a bootloader into the 8GB Thumbdrive. I will be using one of the branches of Chameleon RC5. You can find the bootloader files in the zip file you downloaded from this post.

-Mini Tutorial-
1. You should find the bootloader files in Root -> Pre Installation -> i386.

2. Copy the i386 folder to your desktop.

3. Open Terminal and type sudo -s

4. Key in your password. 

5. Now type cd and drag the i386 folder on the desktop into the terminal window

6. Enter

7. Type diskutil list

8. Look at the number properly. Which disk is your thumbdrive -WARNING- -WARNING-

9. Type ./fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX 
(Replace X with the disk number you found in 8.)

10. Type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs2 

11. Type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1 

12. Now type exit and close Terminal

13. From the i386 folder on your desktop copy the file 'boot' to the 
Root Directory of the thumbdrive you just restored the Retail OS X Installation to.

14. Copy the Extras Folder from the zip file i have provided to the 
Root Directory of the thumbdrive you just restored the the Retail OS X Installation to.

15. Copy DSDT.aml to the Root Directory of the thumbdrive you 
just restored the the Retail OS X Installation to.

Step 5: Follow the instructions of replacing the OSInstall and OSInstall.mpkg downloaded above. ( To make this easier, i suggest you download this and click Show.

Step 6: Boot from the 8GB Thumbdrive, Since you're on the same Laptop as me we should have almost everything the same. Turn off your computer, plug in the 8GB Thumbdrive and press F12 on Bios boot. Select the 8GB Thumbdrive and you should see a pretty chameleon screen. Select Mac OS X Installation. ( Just to be safe, use the disk utility to format the HFS+ Partition again as Mac OS Extended Journaled.)

Step 7: Once OS X Installation is done, we will need to install certain drivers. I have included all the files needed in the Post Installation Folder. Use the Kext Helper app to install the files in the folder Extensions.

Step 8: Installing Chameleon into the actual OS X Partition. Using the guide located here install chameleon into your OS X Partition. [i suggest you used ./fdisk440]

Step 9: Once you have installed chameleon into the OS X Partition, copy the Extra folder into the root of your OS X and copy DSDT.aml to the root of your OS X also.

Step 10: Just use Software Update to update. Everything should update just fine.

Step 11: Start up Gparted and set your HFS+ Partition with the boot flag.

Step 12: Reboot and enjoy.

Oh and the only thing that isnt working properly is wifi. Don't ask me about S/PDIF.

Root.zip

Credits:

wrxys from PCBETA/InsanelyMac for DSDT and Audio Kext's

VampireHunter_D from InsanelyMac for IONetworkingFamily.kext ( Ethernet Port)

tonymacx86 from tonymacx86 for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

VoodooProjects Team for Chameleon, Battery and PS2 Kext's

Netkas.org for Graphics Driver and FakeSMC Kext

VANDAM from tonymacx86 for the DSDT with various patches.

Azimutz for the branches of Chameleon

Thanks to everyone who helped out.

References :

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&a...f223d13d3b69567

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164809

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...es&start=60

P.S. If anyone really wants a video guide i reckon i could do one.

Will not be continuing any more testing on this laptop. No reason why. -end-

Would appreciate if those that followed this guide and got it working to give a reply of some sort. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: nevermind, I used the insaller.

Thanks a lot for putting this together. I am running into an annoying issue. I started at step 3 (I'm not dual booting). I am stuck at step 4, lulz.

I have the i386 folder on the desktop... I opened terminal, sudo-s, cd, drag i386 into terminal. All is well at this point. Execute ./fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX X=thumbdrive

After doing this I get this,

./fdisk440: permission denied

Specs:

Y550p

running iAtkos v 7 w/10.5.8 update

Any ideas? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for slow reply. But i prefer if you can directly email me. http://bit.ly/osx86log But to your issue, i think its because you're not running the command as root. Type sudo -s and your password before doing that line.

Hello Komano,

I got really busy, I haven't tried to install SL since I posted. Maybe it was just that I was confused because I was not dual booting, and missed something in the steps...

I tried to execute ./fdisk440 in and out of root. I was able to ls into the folder and I could see ./fdisk440, but it would not run. I got "permission denied" and the other was like "command not found" I believe.

I have 10.5.8 running fine, so I am not in a hurry. It would be nice to get this going though. I may attempt it again soon.

I would have emailed you directly but felt our discussion may help others, and I am not in a hurry for a response.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Komano,

I got really busy, I haven't tried to install SL since I posted. Maybe it was just that I was confused because I was not dual booting, and missed something in the steps...

I tried to execute ./fdisk440 in and out of root. I was able to ls into the folder and I could see ./fdisk440, but it would not run. I got "permission denied" and the other was like "command not found" I believe.

I have 10.5.8 running fine, so I am not in a hurry. It would be nice to get this going though. I may attempt it again soon.

I would have emailed you directly but felt our discussion may help others, and I am not in a hurry for a response.

Thank you!

That's really weird. You need to be in the i386 folder and then execute fdisk440, but well. Actually executing fdisk by itself is fine but you'll get a screwed up windows. Hence. I'm gonna be busy for abit until after about half of November, don't expect any fast replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I have successful installed MAC OS 10.6.3 on may Lap Lenovo Y550P Core i7 from the Retail DVD, thanks for your help. Everything works fine, except Wifi card (Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN). Who can help me find "kext" for that card?

All kexts i used on my lap is HERE:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bqtaa0rmddct5z2

I have successful installed MAC OS 10.6.3 on may Lap Lenovo Y550P Core i7 from the Retail DVD, thanks for your help. Everything works fine, except Wifi card (Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN). Who can help me find "kext" for that card?

All kexts i used on my lap is HERE:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bqtaa0rmddct5z2

Thanks for the reply. :) All files are also available at my site for download or if you just want everything then just download the file tbnm has compiled. Oh, and there is no kext for that card yet. As such i got a retail apple card off eBay and replaced the one in my laptop with the one i got. It's working perfectly.

• 11 months later...

good afternoon!

Thanks so much for putting together this guide as it gives me hope for my own Ideapad with the following specs:

Intel Core i7 720qm

Nvidia 1 GB GE Force 240M

4 GB DDR3 RAM

500 GB Seagate Momentus 5400 rpm hard drive

I've been trying a variety of ways to get this going but will stick with the main method described in this thread for now.

Not having a GPartLive CD, I tried to install OSX 10.6.0 using my USB stick and replaced OSInstall and installing Chameleon, dsdt.aml, and the Extras folder from the root file. Unfortunately, my computer instantly reboots after the Chameleon menu. However, when running nawcom's legacy_kernel, I get past it and can continue installing OSX. But once I install OSX and rebooting, the Lenovo splash screen doesn't even appear, which also means that I can't get into the BIOS or boot options menu. To regain access to my computer I have to physically remove the internal hard drive and then go into the BIOS and switch my SATA mode from AHCI to compatibility mode then I can reinstall my internal drive and run my laptop. But after this, not only does my installation of OSX hang, but when I try to reinstall OSX while in compatibility mode, the installer doesn't detect my internal hard drive.

But then once I resetup the SATA mode to AHCI with my internal hard drive still connected, I would encounter that "no-splash" phenomenon. So for me to maintain access to the BIOS while keeping SATA mode to AHCI mode would be to delete the partition with the attempted installation of OSX using diskpart in my windows setup file and then recreate an HFS compatible partition.

Hopefully, I explained in enough detail while not losing sight of the issue at hand. If you could advise me of any step that