Laptop no longer booting from DVDs.

Stevie McFly

8 posts in this topic

I installed 10.6.3 (iATKOS) the other day. Unfortunately, I have the GMA 4500MHD graphics card, so, at least for the foreseeable future, I have no QE/CI and thus no access to the programs I made the switch for. On top of that, there's no fix for my webcam except for CamTwist, which requires QE/CI. So I'm trying to make the switch back to Windows, sad as it makes me.

Unfortunately, my computer won't boot from DVDs anymore. I tried the Windows disk; it went straight into Chameleon. Checked my BIOS settings; they were correct. Tried again, same thing. Tried the disk in another computer to figure out if it was something with the disk. It worked in that computer. Tried the iATKOS disk in case I could just wipe the drive from it and force the DVD to be the computer's only boot option. It's not booting from the iATKOS disk anymore either.

Is there a solution here or am I just {censored}ed?

Update: Called Acer tech support. Found out my laptop, bought from Tiger Direct as "new," is actually refurbished. They sent me to Revonate. Revonate said they'd never heard of this problem ever happen to anyone ever. Answer congruent with my findings via scouring of the internet.

Anyone have any clue, or am I just {censored}ed?

So did you try hitting the key on bootup that takes you to a menu to select what boot device you want to use? Its probably something like F12, or Del. It should say when your laptop is first booting; if it just shows an image hit Esc and see if it will show you your post.

Also, if you bought this acer as Tiger Direct as a "new" pc and it is actually refurbished, I think I would be double checking my receipts to make sure and then having it out with Tiger Direct.