[HOW TO] Get 1GB free webspace 4 iWeb

xtraa

14 posts in this topic

Problem:

According to this posting you can make an iDisk like disk via usage of germans mailprovider gmx.

Now, unfortunately you cannot use this as a full .mac account for iWeb. And sometimes Apple is a {censored}: If you try to enter some ftp.webspace.com in iWeb, it will tell you that you just have permissions to read, even if you entered your login pw. So we are forced to use some ftp program.

Solution:

1. We setup the fake iDisk as described in the above link.

2. In iWeb you just enter http://213.165.64.3/YourGmxAccountNumber/

3. After the upload, take a good web referrer like de.vu or whatever, and make him enter the Webspace

http://213.165.64.3///YourGmxAccountNumber/Web-Site/yourindex.html

Voila. Site is on. 1 gig 4 free :P

hi this is great ! Followed instructions uploaded from iweb, but have small problem...when I visited my site on PC with Internet Expolrer it asks for GMX numer and pass. This is OK for me but if I want anyone else to visit site then how can avoid them being asked for login and pass ?

PS - uploaded in iweb by highlighting idisk and inserted url chosen from de.vu...

• 2 weeks later...
hi this is great ! Followed instructions uploaded from iweb, but have small problem...when I visited my site on PC with Internet Expolrer it asks for GMX numer and pass. This is OK for me but if I want anyone else to visit site then how can avoid them being asked for login and pass ?

PS - uploaded in iweb by highlighting idisk and inserted url chosen from de.vu...

nice question, bump! i would like to know too...

Aaaannnd - you are right.

Please don't slap me for being such a dumbas*. :D

xtraa

:P

I did this on a local machine, and did not noticed, that the login pass was actually in my keychain. So it

worked. lol. But of course It did not work from another client. Sorry, argh.

Ok, the only way is doing it like this:

Add the folowing url in your browser to test it, and then add it to your referrer:

http://YourGmxAccountNumberHere:yourPassword@213.165.64.3/YourGmxAccountNumberHere/Web-Site/index.html

Yes it's unsecure... they won't see your pw but they could. But the account is 4free and so...

Aaaannnd - you are right.

Please don't slap m for being such a dumbas*.

xtraa

:P

I did this on a local machine, and did not noticed, that the login pass was actually in my keychain. So it

worked. lol. But of course It did not work from another client. Sorry, argh.

Ok, the only way is doing it like this:

Add the folowing url in your browser to test it, and then add it to your referrer:

http://YourGmxAccountNumberHere:yourPassword@213.165.64.3/YourGmxAccountNumberHere/Web-Site/index.html

deutsch:

aber dann haben andere user auch zugriff auf dein komplettes gmx!

ich glaube gmx ist nicht das beste für sowas! vll finden wir ja irgendwo anders einen WebDAV server... (mit ftp zugriff und "public-folder"

english:

but with this url the people can see your password and have access to your complete gmx-account!

i think gmx is not the best for things like iweb! maybe we can find a server with WebDAV AND ftp-access and a "public-folder"

cYa :D

Yes absolutely right.

i would make an extra account for that, they have lots of them ;)

maybe we can find a server with WebDAV AND ftp-access and a "public-folder"

That would be very nice :D

box.net would be perfect,

but afaik they have an email address as a login and not a number, and so

you are unable to use this with idisk because the login in the systemprefs

won't accept an @...

box.net sounds nice :pirate2:

but afaik they have an email address as a login and not a number, and so

you are unable to use this with idisk because the login in the systemprefs

won't accept an @...

i have a question though, how bout gmx for idisk and box.net for iweb, is that even possible?

box.net sounds nice :D

i have a question though, how bout gmx for idisk and box.net for iweb, is that even possible?

No, because of the "@" you need to type the @ in your Mail address and in the .Mac-preferences you cant type a @... So we need an other webspace-provider!

this may help too, box.net doesn't like symbols or spaces, so heres an updated version of an automator workflow that i found to fix file and folder names.

credits are in there, i've forgotten them off the top of my head.

http://www.box.net/public/lxzs9irjo1

don't forget the referrals..... 5 people is all you need for a 5GB free account

My Link....

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

This may be interesting avenue to explore for those looking for free space and iweb functionality.

Found this thread http://macaddict.com/forums/post/1180152

Guy near bottom of post recommends www.freewebtown.com.

1 gig free space and 1 gig monthly bandwith.

So....signed up for a/c got my details logged in, created new page, logged out went iweb built page published to folder and uploaded with Fetch (apparently there are problems with Cyberduck) and voila ! a seamless iweb publish.

(I deleted original freeweb index.htm using fetch from site first before uploading iweb site - don't know if this makes any difference)

Page looks exactly like it does in iweb however have not tried all the functions like RSS feeds, podcasting etc nor am I knowledgable enough about idisk to be able to add anything to Xtraa's first post - but would be interested to hear others comments.