Marvell Yukon 88E8057 on EVGA e762 x58

GuyPicks

17 posts in this topic

Thanks to the forum and all the programmers here, I got my Snow Leopard 10.6.4 up and running like a charm.

All is well except for the Yukon 88E8057.

It doesn't see the ports at all.

I've tried just about everything out there.

I've even tried editing my own info.plist with no luck.

any help here would be much appreciated.

My hat's off to the programmers. :)

no guarantees this will definitely work, but in theory (at least my theory :) ) it should, take the normal precautions before trying...but you don't have to :P

i modded the kext below just a tiny bit to try and include your built in ethernet

to install:

open terminal (in apps/utilities)

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

(type your root password)

close the terminal

download and use the kext utility (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=50182), drag the kext i uploaded at the bottom of this post to install it

to be sure that all permissions etc. are correct, download and run the pfix v3.1 utility (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/pfix3.1.tar.bz2) and run it on the appropriate HDD

cross fingers

reboot

post back your results

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

no guarantees this will definitely work, but in theory (at least my theory :P ) it should, take the normal precautions before trying...but you don't have to :P

i modded the kext below just a tiny bit to try and include your built in ethernet

to install:

open terminal (in apps/utilities)

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

(type your root password)

close the terminal

download and use the kext utility (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=50182), drag the kext i uploaded at the bottom of this post to install it

to be sure that all permissions etc. are correct, download and run the pfix v3.1 utility (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/pfix3.1.tar.bz2) and run it on the appropriate HDD

cross fingers

reboot

post back your results

I really appreciate this but I get lost when trying to do this kext programing stuff.

Here is my 88e8057:

Vender:

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4380&SUBSYS_ABCD3842&REV_10

Device Name:

Marvell Yukon 88E8057 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I got this info off my windows devices.

If I can get a prebuilt Kext I can load it with kexthelper b7.

Thanks for the help.

...i already gave you the kext in the bottom of my last post, you just simply need to install it, is there a part of the instructions that i didn't explain properly? if so then just ask

EDIT: hold on, looking at the string you just posted, i don't think the kext i gave will work for you, let me just double check

EDIT2: ok, sorry about that, i changed it slightly, try following the same instructions with the following kext instead of the one above (don't forget to unzip it)

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

...i already gave you the kext in the bottom of my last post, you just simply need to install it, is there a part of the instructions that i didn't explain properly? if so then just ask

EDIT: hold on, looking at the string you just posted, i don't think the kext i gave will work for you, let me just double check

EDIT2: ok, sorry about that, i changed it slightly, try following the same instructions with the following kext instead of the one above (don't forget to unzip it)

The install seemed to work it located the ports right away before I even rebooted.

This is the first time I could see my ports. (huge step)

I rebooted:

I get the message cable unplugged.

I can't access the internet yet.

Seems we're headed in the right direction...

Just a note:

All my local network settings are correct. I copied them off my other Mac.

My other mac is unplugged.

Still says cable unplugged.

I appreciate all your help JB.

try this one using the same method, i'm running out of ideas as well now

EDIT: ive also read that enabling networking related options in you BIOS (wake on LAN etc) and similar things in windows can help, so you could give that a try too

Ran the last kext you uploaded, still no go, but I can see the ports.

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on primary drive and Win 7 x64 on a secondary drive.

I sure appreciate all your time here JB.

at least we've made some headway. :wacko:

I did study the kext you made.

I'm beginning to understand some of what's going on here.

There seems to be other models represented in this kext. Is that correct?

anyways thanks.

Guy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Any updates? I have the same Ethernet chipset on my EVGA P55 FTW, everthing else is working fine under 10.6.4 besides the ethernet..

Someone shed some light! :(

Same here... got a EVGA P55 C200 and I got stuck with the ethernet... and the P55 C200 has ONLY PCI-E so if I want to add a dual ethernet it would be real expensive...

I'm keeping trying to modify the kext from J.B. (thanx BTW) but so far no luck.

Update: I just got the system profile recognizing the Marvell 88E8057, but the ethernet status is still "cable unplugged". Lights are on on both connectors when I plug cables on them, so the network status is lying....

Close, but no cigar.

Here's the info from my system profiler:

Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8057 Singleport Copper SA:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x11ab

Device ID: 0x4380

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x3842

Subsystem ID: 0xabcd

Revision ID: 0x0010

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en1

Kext name: AppleYukon2.kext

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext

Version: 3.2.1b1

Maybe this kext only work with single port cards...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fellas I have the same mother board, the EVGA P55. Which method did you use to install osx? I have not had much success with just the install. Thanks!

-Edward

Same here... got a EVGA P55 C200 and I got stuck with the ethernet... and the P55 C200 has ONLY PCI-E so if I want to add a dual ethernet it would be real expensive...

I'm keeping trying to modify the kext from J.B. (thanx BTW) but so far no luck.

Update: I just got the system profile recognizing the Marvell 88E8057, but the ethernet status is still "cable unplugged". Lights are on on both connectors when I plug cables on them, so the network status is lying....

Close, but no cigar.

Here's the info from my system profiler:

Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8057 Singleport Copper SA:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x11ab

Device ID: 0x4380

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x3842

Subsystem ID: 0xabcd

Revision ID: 0x0010

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en1

Kext name: AppleYukon2.kext

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext

Version: 3.2.1b1

Maybe this kext only work with single port cards...

Hey fellas I have the same mother board, the EVGA P55. Which method did you use to install osx? I have not had much success with just the install. Thanks!

-Edward

I have a EVGA p55 SLI board, and just installed OS X 10.6.5 last night using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. It was pretty easy, I also wasn't able to get ethernet working. I was able to get an old Buffalo wireless g card I had sitting around to work, so at least I have something.

• 2 weeks later...
try this one using the same method, i'm running out of ideas as well now

EDIT: ive also read that enabling networking related options in you BIOS (wake on LAN etc) and similar things in windows can help, so you could give that a try too

I tried this kext and it killed my network chipset, I think. Even in windows, I can't get the computer to recognize the network adapter. I guess I should know more about what I'm screwing around with before I do this kind of thing.

Is there a way to write back the original kext?

• 2 months later...
I tried this kext and it killed my network chipset, I think. Even in windows, I can't get the computer to recognize the network adapter. I guess I should know more about what I'm screwing around with before I do this kind of thing.

Is there a way to write back the original kext?

sorry, havent looked at this in a while, but as far as i know, changing a kext in OSX shouldnt really affect a windows installation in that way, i guess you could try reinstalling the windows drivers though?

• 2 months later...